Marijuana Decriminalization On November Ballots/with Video

BENZIE COUNTY -- Next month, voters in 18 Michigan communities will decide if they want to make it legal to possess a small amount of marijuana.

But would these changes in municipal law, have any impact on how police do their jobs?

Six years ago, Michigan voters approved the use of medical marijuana.

Supporters of the use of cannabis are now hoping to push the state to take the next step.

"We are trying to lead our legislators to enact legalization here in MI," says Rev. Steven B. Thompson.

“I know that their ultimate goal is to legalize it,” says Ted Schendel, Sheriff in Benzie County.  “That’s their ultimate goal.  But they’re starting at the lower level and saying,

‘They’re coming after us for that marijuana joint’ and that’s not the case.  That’s simply not happening at the local level or at the state level.”

The ballots in four northern Michigan cities, Frankfort, Harrison, Clare, and Onaway, will each contain a similar ballot item asking voters if their city's charter should be

amended to say:  "Nothing in the municipal code shall apply to the use, possession or transfer of less than 1 ounce of marijuana, on private property not used by the

public, or transportation of 1 ounce or less of marijuana by a person who has attained the age of 21 years."

In the city of Harrison, the amount a person would be allowed to possess is increased to 2.5 ounces.

Benzie County’s sheriff sees the proposed ordinance as somewhat unnecessary.

“The premise that they’re going on is that law enforcement’s out there busting into their homes and arresting them while they smoke their marijuana.  And that is just not

that case.  If they have a small amount of marijuana and they’re in their house and they’re in the privacy of their house, we’re not busting down doors.  We don’t care

about that.  We really don’t”

"We don't want to be the 13th state, like we were with medical, so we're putting pressure on our legislators by doing this,” said Rev. Thompson.  “By showing them that

voters all over the state are ready to end this prohibition of cannabis here in the state and actually legalize it to where it can be taxed and regulated."

Law enforcement says this ballot question, if successful, will have little impact on what they do.

"No, it will not have any impact on county officers,” said Sheriff Schendel said.  “It will not have any impact on the state police.  It's a city ordinance that, if a city police

officer in Frankfort chose to issue a civil violation, they have that option."

Frankfort's Police Chief says he has always enforced state law, and he and his officers will continue to do so.

http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?id=1109708#.VD-6MEvHP8s

if it wont have any impact on what police do, why are police so against it?

I used to think the same until someone told me why 

Leo has to follow State Law and City Law there is a difference i guess in the two but the plan is to me is to make all or as many as it takes Decrim all city's and then the Law makers inn Lansing will start to here our         Cry's