Suspicious Fire Caused By Medical Marijuana Cardholder 'open Blasting' For Hash Oil, Police Say

LEONI TWP., MI – A 20-year-old Leoni Township man was attempting to extract hash oil by "open blasting" Wednesday night when he was injured by an explosion that caught his home on fire, police said.

The man suffered burns to his hands and face after a fire broke out in the upstairs bedroom of his home at 4600 E. Michigan Avenue, Blackman-Leoni Public Safety Deputy Director Jon Johnston said.

The man lived in the home with his parents and was transferred to the hospital by his mother after the explosion, Johnston said.

Johnston said when crews arrived at about 9:30 p.m. Oct. 22, flames and smoke were visible from an upstairs bedroom in the residence. Johnston said crews were able to contain the fire to the upstairs bedroom but the structure had smoke and water damage throughout.

"The parents at first were evasive about their son's whereabouts and how the fire started," Johnston said. "Once it was determined that an explosion had occurred and that the mother had taken the son to the hospital we became concerned that it could have been a meth lab explosion."

Johnston said the Jackson Narcotics Enforcement Team was called to the scene and determined that the 20-year-old victim was attempting to extract hash oil from marijuana.

"This is a process called open blasting and involves heating the marijuana with butane gas. Butane is highly flammable and they use a small blow torch to heat up the product. Apparently there was some sort of spark that led to an explosion," Johnston said. "The 20-year-old apparently does have a medical marijuana card."

Johnston said it is unclear if the victim was in any violation of the medical marijuana law and JNET will continue investigating the incident.

Johnston said he did not have an update on the victim's condition but said he believes the man had injures that were not life threatening.  

The Blackman-Leoni Public Safety Department was assisted at the scene by Grass Lake Township and Napoleon Township fire departments.

strange question though, where do you find or for what legit purpose are those big glass cylanders used for ?

and also how easy is it to get the frozen wet marijuana out of those glass tubes afterwards?

i've seen videos of people making bho using the glass tubes, but they never have the cleanup in the video.

i guess people use plastic tubes as well?

no2 or co2 might be better. more expensive, less explosive.

or maybe co2 doesnt pick up the thc like butane

plus no2 is crazy https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=233676

Edited by t-pain

finally one more question for the smart people out there.

why not just eat the bud, instead of processing the bud into oil and eating the oil?

have you ever eaten raw dried bud?

does it last longer or shorter than a dab or smoking/vaping oil?

just try it next time you dont have to do anything for 12 hours.

eat a small bud about the size of a golf ball. chew it of course.

i dont play with oil/dabs/wax/shatter etc ,so i dont know the diff.

try eating raw bud and tell us the difference! :)

finally one more question for the smart people out there.

why not just eat the bud, instead of processing the bud into oil and eating the oil?

have you ever eaten raw dried bud?

does it last longer or shorter than a dab or smoking/vaping oil?

just try it next time you dont have to do anything for 12 hours.

eat a small bud about the size of a golf ball. chew it of course.

i dont play with oil/dabs/wax/shatter etc ,so i dont know the diff.

try eating raw bud and tell us the difference! :)

Thank you!!  I just asked the same question a couple of days ago.  And I can see how a person, like chemo patient, has trouble keeping stuff down....Ok so folks like that need oil when they can't eat. 

But for everyone else, why go through the trouble and expense and legal exposure to make an oil if you don't really need it?  Let's assume that 4 grams of bud will yield 1 gram of oil.  Um, yeah, so just grind up 4 grams of bud and mix it with tonight's pasta sauce.. Done. 

"...they use a small blow torch to heat up the product. Apparently there was some sort of spark that led to an explosion," Johnston said"

Yeah, a spark. A spark, that's the ticket. Must've been the spark that caused the explosion BECAUSE THE TORCH WOULDN'T!!!!!

WTF is this crap about heating it with a torch anyway? Seriously? If'n you were gonna heat your bud, using a torch is like using a tank to deer hunt.

not smarty people here, but I do have crazy experiences.

c02 produces fine oil. except not without ridiculous pressures, equipment. A c02 cartridge for example, in a tube would oil up your smoke, and ruin it for good, and not one drop of honey oil will result, only the oil that they put in the c02. The carbonation drink c02 cartridges do not have oil, and also result in wasted money, no oil.

never used "glass tubes", but suspect a small stick or air. the herb is only frozen for a few seconds.

I have eaten raw bud, but I am not a good example. Its difficult for me to digest buds, dry or fresh, same with drinking the juice. I would do it if I could though. I think its got something to do with the small hairs on the vegetable matter.

One ounce of cannabis may only contain a few grams of active ingredients. A one gram dose for instance, (commonly talked about) might require a quarter ounce to be eaten. Stripping the active ingredients and concentrating them get patients into the drops instead of the hay.

nitrogen(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen) is "N". It doesn't extract active ingredients chemically, only mechanically, by way of freezing and breaking off the trichome stalks to be strained through specific micron size silkscreenish material, depending on the average size of the strain's trichomes, one can "screen out the vegetable matter and collect the broken waxy heads.

Nitrogen is stupid to use, and expensive and dangerous and unnecessary. I've done it, because sometimes I do stupid things. It over freezes the vegetable matter to the point of crumbling it along with the trichs. the purpose of gentle freezing is only to easily break the trich talk, not powder the buds. a freezer and ice water are stellar, safe, legal, simple, and absolutely as potent and delicious as ANY extraction I've made or sampled. for taste, I prefer a dry shake, same as ice water extraction without the fuss, or add mold issue form the water. Its instant no mess too. highly rec'd by me and more.

The effects of ingested buds, or oil last several times longer than inhaled oil or buds. similar as eating a bud or smoking it I suppose

The difference is that between smoking bud and eating butter/brownies. there's definitely a "mad scientist" drive involved with dabs, bragging rights, cleaner inhale, less/no carcinogens, sets of tools, potency is rocket like.

for thought I'll share this. After removing 100% of the active ingredients from bud the bud will still give effects, not thc though, but more like oak leaves. I suspect a portion of our cannabis effect is that of oxygen deprivation, carcinogen inhalation, etc. The matter only to serves to irritate our conditions actually, cough, hurt, wheeze, etc. Concentrating the ingredients and discarding the rest is one way to avoid many of the downs of smoking (really? are there any ? hehe)

hope that helps.

These days there is no reason to extract any other way than a dry sift with a 12 dollar shaker on amazon. "pollen shaker", in my essential tools of the trade thread. Members here have tried it, and love it too.

i wonder who got it wrong

the narcotics officer or the reporter?

"you heat the marijuana with the butane"

hahaha

Neither understands... and reporter didnt bother researching, just took what the cop said.

No one uses a torch to blast bho... used to smoke it, to heat up something else like a titanium skillet, then bho dab goes on that, then vaporization takes place. Heat (like a hot plate) is used to evaporate the butane from the extracted oil. Bho doesn't blow up, so he was extracting inside the house... any spark (like from a fan) could set off pooled butane gas. Only way a torch is involved is if he tried to smoke while simultaneously extracting- if thats the case, chalk it up to natural selection.

But t... butane honey oil (bho) isnt used as a medible, you vape it or smoke it. Its purified & concentrated... quick strong rush of thc. One dab goes a long way vs nugs. Have to smoke more joints than comfortable to get to the same place. Also, properly purged bho using good source material results in a super good tasting hit, that sticks to the roof of ones mouth like no green hit of bud can. Its really nice... if clean. Not a medible at all.

1 tsp - 1 tbsp fresh ground cannabis

pour boiling water

add 1 tsp milk

Let steep for about five minutes. The ground mixture can be infused several times before discarding by adding fresh boiling water and milk. I'd imagine that a percolator would give a stronger extraction, though probably only once.

Sounds nice and easy. Thank you.

first off what a retard for doing it in his bedroom in his parents house! :yahoo-wave:

yea and the butane heat up with a blow torch is beyond normal thinking.

I dont even like to tell people my method of extracting with butane but I dont use glass to do it, I have been making this stuff since the late 70's early 80's, people used to know what honey dew was, when I started to produce it again people had no clue what it was and had no interest like mal said,,,only older folks know what honey oil is, well only older folks used to know, now since it has become a normal thing for the mm states it has made a come back, im still trying to figure out the dab thing lol!   I guess im old!

I mainly use the sugar leaf's and small budds you would not trim, plus I only do it when I have enough for 2 cases of butane (24 cans) There is no comparison of oil vs budds, warmed or not (budds) although I love the brownies with great sugar leaf's I dont waiste my budds on oil when I have all of the scraps that can be used, when I do enough for 2 cases of butane, I usualy wind up with any where from 13 to 20 grams of oil,  and that oil lasts me longer than an lb of budds, I dont use it every day but I could if I wanted to, I have a vape I use only for oil and I havent used it in at least 2 yrs!  You can eat bho, I eat my bho all the time,  I also put it on a cigerette and it realy realy does the job!

I have 2 extraction tubes one holds 2 oz's and the other 1 oz I use 2 cans of butane for the 2 oz one and one can for the 1 oz one, I have one that holds 4 oz's but I am unable to find the right amount of butane for 1 run through it, when I dump it, it is not wet (frozen) all the way thru, so ive had to run it a 2nd time, I dont like to do that. I also would never heat my oil after it is safe to evape the butane with a torch wtf?  :crazysmile:

after I am done extracting I get hot water from my kitchen sink and let that evape it, I do it a few times and when there is nothing but what looks like oil in it I bring it inside of my home, I put my glass pyrex pan in an electric fry pan with warm water in it and turn it on to warm, I sit there and pop the bubbles and once I feel it is good I pour it into my oil holder (an old milk glass/brillo cream jar) and than I will put it on a coffee cup warmer to heat off the rest of the butane if needed!

You cant compare oil to budds, there is no comparison!

Peace

for clarification= proper ventilation could mean a sealed unit requiring zero evaporation in the atmosphere, a total solvent reclaim, and no fumes?  they sell such units available to the public at reasonable costs. Some folks use dangerous stills outdoors to make their booze while others use proper equipment right on their kitchen counter for thought.

peace

for clarification= proper ventilation could mean a sealed unit requiring zero evaporation in the atmosphere, a total solvent reclaim, and no fumes?  they sell such units available to the public at reasonable costs. Some folks use dangerous stills outdoors to make their booze while others use proper equipment right on their kitchen counter for thought.

peace

Thanks 

But is it legal to make ?

peace

Alright, point taken.  How many (esp. given the reports on shoddy extraction practices) would you care to guestimate will endeavor to create this atmosphere?

Thanks 

But is it legal to make ?

the booze or the ethno botanical extraction of cannabis? Both are legal. some laws exist concerning the different solvents used to perform the extractions, some may be patented also. Smoking a joint is a medicinal extraction of the active compounds contained within the cannabis inside. Sifting the vegetable matter through a strainer before use performs a similar task.

Making beer and wine and spirits is legal as far as I know. maybe limited quantities, uses and such.