What Else Are You Growing In Your Garden?

I wood

So today i noticed a neglected red potato on the counter that started to sprout, i decided to take it to the grow room and plant it.

Aloe vera, a once sad fig tree,  lettuce, many kinds of peppers, broccoli , dandy lions, snow peas, and now potatoes have all found their way into my garden.

This may be puzzling at first, let me explain.

After years of full time caregiving i found myself in the possession of lots of slightly used dirt, lots of equipment and a commercial building i only use half of to store wood and other items relating to my work.

The furnace is broken and unneeded most of the year, so in the winter I heat with grow bulbs. I couldn't see using space heaters when i could be growing more pot instead.

Due to patients fleeing the state, getting themselves on probation, or just dying, i found myself with way more lighting than i needed to meet current patient demand.

An odd situation, but I can't be the only one with companion plants in the garden.

I have been growing cacti in another room for years, and have been putting males in there to flower since they do not seem to mind the hot dry conditions.

One big plus to this is that gardening is fun again. Fresh organic  produce in the winter helps me stay healthier without the normal high price tag. 

So, what else are you growing alongside your medicine?

I, too, have found myself with more equipment than what I need.  So for the past year or so, I've been filling in the gaps between MJ plants with aloe, spider plants, basil, jade, cacti and a few others.  These plants make for nice gifts for folks and are just about free to grow.  Soon, I'll be adding more herbs and other edibles.

I'm actually getting my kids involved with indoor gardening.  I have a couple of 8-bulb T5's that I haven't been using.  We are big fans of Thai food but can't find thai holy basil anywhere for sale, so we decided to grow it ourselves.  We couldn't even find seeds for sale in the US, so they were ordered from Asia.  We are going to set up a 4' by 4' indoor garden bed for thai holy basil, and if we manage to grow more than we need ourselves, we'll be hitting some Thai restaurants to try to sell the excess.  

rosemary,thyme, huge very old basil trees, pineapple, coconut, tomatoes, carrots, hybrid crosses of Willow x Bamboo(my hunnies, with a half dozen bigger than my house now outdoors, they'll grow 4 feet per year, but need lots of water, huge and full, look just like you'd expect the cross to), Bonsai old cannabis experiments, a dozen strains of heirloom tobacco are sprouting, and some secret sauce alien genetics. I grew yams for a long time in a full tray and used it to filter the tilapia farm(1300 gallons). the tilapia would be fed just the greens from yams and cleaned cannabis rootballs. no more indoor tilapia and no more yams now, just freaky gardens. composting lemon rinds/pine needles in the corner. used to have a  couple towers of shitake mushroom mounds in a tent on the cool side, but that got boring. tried "seng", but couldn't find a buyer. strawberries on the vertical wall is near complete. I hate wasted light.

our outdoor gardens are sprouted indoors in the spring times with the normal expected varieties too. Now I wish the grow building was attached to my house, once again!

i just shut down light that i dont need, i seem to be suffering the great patient migration as well..I did a pineapple , and a avocado an an apple tree from seed,, fun but it didn't carry the electric bill, so i just shut it off.. gives me time to do a new paint, clean and disinfect.. 

i have a perfect perpetual rotation i guess...

i don't grow more cannabis than we need.

that being said i do use the "bleed off light" that tends to be wasted in the walkways whenever i need to..

in the spring i do all my garden veggies in there and get them rooted and ready to take outside..

i have been considering planting strawberries in a mobile container so i can have them all year long...

anything i could put into the "pathway's" could for sure become a benefit....

i love growing my own fruits and veggies...

oh i should do a stand of snap peas.. and green beans.. i love eating them.. i would bet they would be really happy growing along the wall in the shadows of my lights....

i would have to hand pollinate to get any mature fruits or veggies in there..

thats the secret to sustainable fruit or veggie harvesting along side of your cannabis in an indoor environmentally controlled garden..

you must hand pollinate if you don't have bees or other pollinating insects in there... well thats if you want to "finish" any fruits or veggies...

you could start anything and then move them outside in the spring..

Edited by mibrains

Yeah I've known a few folks near my age (former friends) who dabbled in that terrible "substance". If there's something other than MJ that needs to be reclassified in the class I, II, or III schedules, It's Kratom imho, with regards to the U.S. anyhow.   Edit: This stuff (Kratom) is illegal for the right reasons. I'm well aware that it's the leaves of the Mitragyna and all that, but the part of me that watched my friends become not my friends convinced me that this stuff was a definitive "no dice" type of thing.

Edit: Point to get across here is that they are former friends for a reason, that stuff done burnt out who they were. I don't deal with complicated, maybes, or what ifs, so I moved on and found new friends. Scorned afterwards for being unwilling to follow them down the rabbit hole so to speak , I figured out I had most certainly made the right choice.

Edited by AbominableDro-Man

mibrains:  your avatars are mocking me. I corrected a false statement and you mock me?  How is this?  mIbrains you me owe an apology. We can have an honest difff of opinion on the efficacy of kratom based on the facts. 

There are medical uses.   There are seeming dangers from high, long-term use of kratom, but studies are lacking as to the exact dosage and frequency, some of which is based upon the amount of light provided the plant, and the strain grown.

Mibrains can you stick to the facts?

Edited by pic book

It's Legal when it should be Illegal, whereas Marijuana is Illegal while it should be legal. I was pretty sure I got that point across too with the "needs reclassification" comment. The stuff is as bad as that damnable "potpourri"  and "incense" that these ridiculous folk get ahold of and decide that it's a good idea to inhale the fumes of. For some reason, I can't help but think that when I'm older the joke wont be "haha, you must have eaten paint chips when you were young", it'll instead be "haha, you smoked that Kratom stuff huh?"

Replace kratom with 'saliva divinorum' and you've got a case.  Thousands of teens annually go to ER for salvia, which has only 1 medical use; as anesthesia for snakes during surgery. Bath salts also have no medical value for humans.  The personality changes due to kratom (which someone reported in this thread) are not in the literature on kratom, but they are present for meth, and heroin.  Kratom addiction develops after 5+ years use 6-10 times per day, but no personality changes.  

Who the hell  wants ANY earth plant to be illegal? these ethno botanical derivatives have been used since ancient times and misunderstood since. When people enterprise and abuse them should we demand to be protected from the plant and its effects for we are incapable of comprehending its uses ? 

Some people are addicted to eating tires, and they get very sick too. Pregnant women all over the planet are addicted to eating dirt sandwiches.  Millions die from taking prescription medication, per physician instructions. Personality disorders, violent outbursts, including murderous acts like shooting elementary students in schools have been observed in people taking an experi-mental psychotropic fluoride based drug. The legality/morality of such a market seems to be based on monetary earnings in a fiscal year.

How much Kratom is bought and sold in America I wonder ?

Pic it took FAR less than 5+years of use, I watched my former friends tear themselves apart in months. Pointing the blame elsewhere does not move the point as to how this particular plant, in my opinion, is the one that should be under review. Salvia is just as much of a no no in my book. There is JUST as much literature against Kratom as there is for it.

I understand your point Grass, however I have to remain adamant that Kratom is a definitive "bad seed" so to speak, regardless of its' fiscal earnings because I don't give a chit about that, given the experiences I've had watching the people around me become...people I wanted nothing to do with ever, has sort of made me particularly biased here.

Edited by AbominableDro-Man

I understand, but want to keep it real. The danger lies in being governed in order to save ourselves. Booze comes to mind. The drink ruins and ends the lives of countless families across the nation, much more than the obscure kratum. Yet its advertised daily, has hundreds of flavors, easy to get, and supplied to kids since I was one. I'd more more apt to say it ruins lives on a bigger scale. Some are able to use it daily with no ill effects, others become monsters. I still stand to defend the right to make that choice myself without government rule and threat of jailtime.

peace

2.5 Million Alcohol-Related Deaths Worldwide- Annually

https://ncadd.org/in-the-news/155-25-million-alcohol-related-deaths-worldwide-annually   <----- full article

Harmful use of alcohol results in the death of 2.5 million people annually, causes illness and injury to millions more, and increasingly affects younger generations and drinkers in developing countries.

Nearly 4% of all deaths are related to alcohol. Most alcohol-related deaths are caused by alcohol result from injuries, cancer, cardiovascular diseases and liver cirrhosis.

6.2% of male deaths are related to alcohol, compared to 1.1% of female deaths.

320 000 young people aged 15-29 years die annually, from alcohol-related causes, resulting in 9% of all deaths in that age group.

Almost 50% of men and two-thirds of women do not consume alcohol.

Harmful alcohol use is one of four common risk factors, along with tobacco use, poor diet and physical inactivity, for the four main groups of noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) – cardiovascular diseases, cancer, chronic lung diseases and diabetes.

Alcohol is the world's third largest risk factor for disease burden; it is the leading risk factor in the Western Pacific and the Americas and the second largest in Europe.

The harmful use of alcohol is also associated with several infectious diseases like HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and sexually transmitted infections (STIs). This is because alcohol consumption weakens the immune system, reduces inhibitions, affects judgment and has a negative effect on patients' adherence to antiretroviral treatment.

2010 data on U.S. deaths,

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_04.pdf

"In 2010, a total of 25,692 persons died of alcohol induced causes in the United States (Tables 10, 12 and 13). This category includes deaths from dependent and nondependent use of alcohol, and also includes deaths from accidental poisoning by alcohol. It excludes unintentional injuries, homicides, and other causes indirectly related to alcohol use, as well as deaths due to fetal alcohol syndrome (for a list of alcohol-induced causes, see 'Technical Notes').

"In 2012, 10,322 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (31%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which published the study, estimated that 34,833 people in 2001 died from cirrhosis of the liver, cancer and other diseases linked to drinking too much beer, wine and spirits.

Another 40,933 died from car crashes and other mishaps caused by excessive alcohol use.

mibrains:  your avatars are mocking me. I corrected a false statement and you mock me?  How is this?  mIbrains you me owe an apology. We can have an honest difff of opinion on the efficacy of kratom based on the facts. 

There are medical uses.   There are seeming dangers from high, long-term use of kratom, but studies are lacking as to the exact dosage and frequency, some of which is based upon the amount of light provided the plant, and the strain grown.

Mibrains can you stick to the facts?

sorry pic

the emoticons i presented tell a story of the way i feel about this particular subject...

first... "sick" :sick:  - i posted it to say...that statement makes me sick

second "money"  :money:  - posted this icon to say it is all about the money.

sorry pic if i offended you in some way.

i sincerely do apologize.. even tho i truly feel like i don't necessarily owe the apology.

in my humble opinion these products are dangerous.. and dealing with these are all about money and that makes me sick.