Keepers Korner

kindfolk

I concur, it is not the same.

growing cannabis in the precursors will allow the plant to naturally exploit/express the indicated profile though.

sprinkling pine terpenes on your bud before smoking will most definitely cause effects related to that terpene profile, but not the "same" as growing those terpene profiles. The miniscule amounts coupled with the fascinating ratios are where the magic is in the plant.

Folks are already adding many of the terpenes back into the extracted product due to loss of those profiles. The move is successful, but we've always the power of essential oils, aromas, topical and ingested applications in healing medicine, so no surprises there. Not positive but THC may be the only unique terpene in cannabis, with thousands of the others found in food and flowers everywhere.

We used to make a bowl out of an apple it taisted good!  im not scientist but I know that making your smoke taiste like something it isnt just is not right imo,,,,I dont understand why any one would do that, I have had many different taisting crap and I didnt like it, does any one remember ever getting stuff that taisted like a perfume or the likes?

When i was younger I found some stuff called black african, it had no budds and full of beans, that stuff taisted like crap, but the feeling was like none other, It most def was not grown by any one I knew but this stuff was bad azz!  I wish I would have done somthing with all of the beans in that lid lol!

Peace

I hated that pocket pissy/perfume/purse smelling/tasting crap !

I did see a high times full page ad for the last ten years advertising a full line of cannabis specific flavorings, all safe supposedly. This has been going on for a long time. pibook is doing a little different thing though, and I don't think he's trying to misrepresent his product, just experimenting.

Blue Dream for instance is a super pine expression. if finished well it provides great relief from copd. The better it finishes the more it expresses the profile. Imagine a patient using this with a prepackaged soil made from organic pine needles, etc, or whatever the precursors are for that desired expression. The patient could then grow a supercharged medicine tailored to his needs.

Seems like dripping essential oils onto tissues for the aroma therapy, or vicks rub on the chest for the effect. Its just Vaseline, with a menthol terpene added for effect. We add hot pepper sauce to our tomatoes for the effect and health benefits of the oil. Limonene is being added to commercial cannabis extract for the blood brain barrier breaking ability of the terpene while delivering the other qualities to the organ. Aroma therapy is a perfect compliment to a zen marijuana experience, with added obvious effects depending on essential choices. Vitamins A,E, K are terpenes added to a lot of foods. Terpenes and terpenoids are the primary constituents of the essential oils of many types of plants and flowers. Essential oils are used widely as natural flavor additives for food, as fragrances in perfumery, and in medicine and alternative medicines such as aromatherapy. Synthetic variations and derivatives of natural terpenes and terpenoids also greatly expand the variety of aromas used in perfumery and flavors used in food additives.

I'm not interested in naturally or artificially flavored marijuana, but I am interested in the medicinal value of terpenes and the exploitation and education of their presence in cannabis.

prepackaged soil made from organic pine needles, etc, or whatever the precursors are for that desired expression. 

It might smell more like pine but not do anything 'extra' because of the way you got it to 'smell' more like pine. I'm not so sure that discovering a precursor would be so easy as finding a 'smell alike' and adding that to the soil. You can 'feel' pine, believe it or not, even if you didn't smell it at all.

Wow. i never know when a remark will light up an inferno!  I hate fuel flavor but love the effex of doc's chem #4 x g13.  I cannot comfortably smoke it raw, but sucked up full of vanilla the effex remain but not the irritating, annoyingly unpleasant fuel smell and flavor. For me, vanilla makes the unpalatable gassy weed into fruit----a whole different product.  I used various juices to transmogrify the gas taste into fruit.  Nothing worked at first; not cranberry, apple, pear, peach, or guava juice, but then i tried vanilla.  BINGO!  Does not change the effex i experience, just makes the smokie so pleasant.  Nothing meant to offend anyone, just to please my palate.

it's possibly beyond your understanding resto. this is not a "smell" imparting into a bud. nor is it the thread to discuss it. I have a dedicated terpene/RTM thread you are welcome to tear up my friend.I am sorry you don't understand the concept, and the resulting proof. I didn't invent this.

I can maybe help you to get this by starting here; If you feed rabbit chit to our plants soil the buds don't smell like rabbit poop. buds don't "smell" like chicken poo, or bat poo either. These substances set up precursors for production of essential oils. properly composted pine needles do not smell of pine at all. composted mangoes do not smell like mangoes. smells like healthy soil. testing the resulting buds shows the terpene profiles are indeed affected by the substrate and available precursors in the soil.

If your plants smell like the fertilizers you are using consider fertilizer cessation at some earlier point in the flowering cycle

good luck with this concept, it has baffled many in the past. I didn't invent it. seek the earth for answers to the phenomena. fertile land produces full expressions. full expressions have more terpenes. a plant with no precursors in the soil will not express very well, be it oranges, apples, or cannabis. Feeding a plant lemons to make it smell like lemons is silly, and nobody is suggesting that.

pics vanilla root transfer works for a reason. he'll soon find that other types of terpenes will result in a similar manner.Terpenes may be classified by the number of isoprene units in the molecule; a prefix in the name indicates the number of terpene units needed to assemble the molecule.

Hemiterpenes consist of a single isoprene unit. Isoprene itself is considered the only hemiterpene, but oxygen-containing derivatives such as prenol and isovaleric acid are hemiterpenoids.

Monoterpenes consist of two isoprene units and have the molecular formula C10H16. Examples of monoterpenes and monoterpenoids include geraniol, limonene, terpineol and myrcene.

Sesquiterpenes consist of three isoprene units and have the molecular formula C15H24. Examples of sesquiterpenes and sesquiterpenoids include humulene, farnesenes, farnesol. (The sesqui- prefix means one and a half.)

Diterpenes are composed of four isoprene units and have the molecular formula C20H32. They derive from geranylgeranyl pyrophosphate. Examples of diterpenes and diterpenoids are cafestol, kahweol, cembrene and taxadiene (precursor of taxol). Diterpenes also form the basis for biologically important compounds such as retinol, retinal, and phytol.

Sesterterpenes, terpenes having 25 carbons and five isoprene units, are rare relative to the other sizes. (The sester- prefix means half to three, i.e. two and a half.) An example of a sesterterpenoid is geranylfarnesol.

Triterpenes consist of six isoprene units and have the molecular formula C30H48. The linear triterpene squalene, the major constituent of shark liver oil, is derived from the reductive coupling of two molecules of farnesyl pyrophosphate. Squalene is then processed biosynthetically to generate either lanosterol or cycloartenol, the structural precursors to all the steroids.

Sesquarterpenes are composed of seven isoprene units and have the molecular formula C35H56. Sesquarterpenes are typically microbial in their origin. Examples of sesquarterpenoids are ferrugicadiol and tetraprenylcurcumene.

Tetraterpenes contain eight isoprene units and have the molecular formula C40H64. Biologically important tetraterpenoids include the acyclic lycopene, the monocyclic gamma-carotene, and the bicyclic alpha- and beta-carotenes.

Polyterpenes consist of long chains of many isoprene units. Natural rubber consists of polyisoprene in which the double bonds are cis. Some plants produce a polyisoprene with trans double bonds, known as gutta-percha.

Norisoprenoids, such as the C13-norisoprenoids 3-oxo-α-ionol present in Muscat of Alexandria leaves and 7,8-dihydroionone derivatives, such as megastigmane-3,9-diol and 3-oxo-7,8-dihydro-α-ionol found in Shiraz leaves (both grapes in the species Vitis vinifera)[6] or wine[7][8] (responsible for some of the spice notes in Chardonnay), can be produced by fungal peroxidases[9] or glycosidases.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terpene

other plant terpenes worthy of study in pics world would be dlimonene, pinene, almond for a pic book win!

it's noteworthy to mention most plants in nature thrive on the compost of their own fruit. Often seeds live first on the flesh of their fruit captors. Tomato

Composting only pure cannabis using worms was my garden win. this gets to the heart of the matter discussed for advanced gardeners. If it wasn't so difficult I'd say it was the

"right" way to grow cannabis and I'd still be doing it.

Wow. i never know when a remark will light up an inferno!  I hate fuel flavor but love the effex of doc's chem #4 x g13.  I cannot comfortably smoke it raw, but sucked up full of vanilla the effex remain but not the irritating, annoyingly unpleasant fuel smell and flavor. For me, vanilla makes the unpalatable gassy weed into fruit----a whole different product.  I used various juices to transmogrify the gas taste into fruit.  Nothing worked at first; not cranberry, apple, pear, peach, or guava juice, but then i tried vanilla.  BINGO!  Does not change the effex i experience, just makes the smokie so pleasant.  Nothing meant to offend anyone, just to please my palate.

I am realy sorry for making my comment sound personal, I understand now why you would do that.

Peace

Does not change the effex i experience, 

Me too. pic didn't say that the flavor enhanced the effects, which jives with my experiences. That was the thing that didn't sit well with me. I suppose we will have to sort out the real stink from the added stink if we buy our supplies from someone other than a grower we know wouldn't add false flavor to add to his sales pitch. 

I've been growing one that is exceptional.  Picked the best phenotype from some seeds I got from Swampy.  A cross between his legendary Free Leonard (now known as The Big) and Crystal Ship. It was given the name Speechless by a friend who was actually left speechless after his first sampling. 

Swampy's Speechless

speechless_5_10wks.jpg

speechless_2_10wks.jpg

Derailed?  op asked what else do you have in your garden?   

pic, I think you are in the wrong thread for that comment ^^

and dude;

you were the one that started the derailment if I am reading correctly... about post #13

---

fwiw peeps...

On no other boards, do I find so much of what I feel is disrespect to OP's by hijacking threads as I encounter here... sad imho.

I grow weary.

/rant

pic, I think you are in the wrong thread for that comment ^^

and dude;

you were the one that started the derailment if I am reading correctly... about post #13

---

fwiw peeps...

On no other boards, do I find so much of what I feel is disrespect to OP's by hijacking threads as I encounter here... sad imho.

I grow weary.

/rant

You do understand complaining about derailment IS derailment ? Which you keep on doing .....  How do you decide what is important enough to say something off topic? You obviously believe there's a time to cross the line and go off topic because you did it here. 

I've been growing one that is exceptional.  Picked the best phenotype from some seeds I got from Swampy.  A cross between his legendary Free Leonard (now known as The Big) and Crystal Ship. It was given the name Speechless by a friend who was actually left speechless after his first sampling. 

Swampy's Speechless

2D 

now thats what I'm talking about!

I would love to give her a run! 

and I love the name!

as for the thread getting derailed its allgood

sometimes it will pan itself out...

otherwise i would re-post

Im glad it sparked some interest ;)

but thanks for coming out with what I will refer to as... "the Gibbs smack to the back of the head" ;)

but interestingly enough it brings me to another I cut I will offer...

I call it SunnyD

it's a remake of Orange Crush that Vic High put out back in the day and probably similar to a cross Chimera offers/offered

it was made using the same Aeric77 Cali-O clone but with a select male from DJ Shorts Blueberry

a friend made the beans and I ran them out and selected an excellent female that has been a keeper in my garden for almost 10 years

it has such a remarkable flavor that I've been accused of adulterating it many times LOL

and many growers have offered me $ on the spot for a cut as soon as they taste the orange blossoms and citrus explosion

it is a bit temperamental in that its the first plant in the garden to let you know if something is off

but with a bit of attention she yields an above average solid buds that will foxtail and give the diamond head look to some

many folks claimed the Cali-O just wasn't strong enough but while this isn't a stupefying kush this gal is great in a social setting and a sure cure for the blues!

its a great cross that brings out the best of both strains through hybrid vigor it exceeded my expectations

now I need to figure out how to post some pics ;) 

I'm in. I've volunterred to help put a Strain DB together for this site and one of the things I've considered is having members rate their favorites. So I'm happy to collect any suggestions coming from this thread for the DB. (I think we'll leaving the rating to pluses and minuses, not flavors, scents, etc. for now :-) imho