Seed Banks ?

Cap'N Kush

seeds are specifically described as not included in the weight and measure of cannabis..

that being said...

The Legal system has mixed feelings when it comes to "selling" cannabis seeds.

call it what you want...

according to the FDA - Seeds = cannabis

go big = go to jail

stay smart = stay small = the American Capitalistic way = staying safe.

bottom line?

as a certified patient do what you must to obtain the genetics of cannabis that help you because the Michigan Supreme Court has ruled that you as a patient are protected to procure cannabis from "any Source"

Edited by mibrains

I see no differentiation in our Act between a clone and a cutting.

It's not in the act. I believe the courts have interpreted that if it has no roots it is not a plant.

Clones have roots and count toward plant count. Cuttings without roots are not counted as being plants.

(Of course that all depends on which courtroom you're in.)

as far as I know the state did not redefine what a plant is or is not.

http://openjurist.org/35/f3d/442/united-states-v-robinson

Other circuits have unanimously decided that marijuana cuttings must have root formations to be considered plants for sentencing purposes. United States v. Burke, 999 F.2d 596, 601 (1st Cir.1993) ("at the first sign of roots, a plant exists for sentencing purposes"); United States v. Edge, 989 F.2d 871, 877 (6th Cir.1993) (plant exists if there is "some readily observable evidence of root formation"); United States v. Curtis, 965 F.2d 610, 616 (8th Cir.1992). These courts have found that Congress intended to create a clear, easily-implemented standard rather than one requiring extensive litigation and expert botanical testimony. E.g., Edge, 989 F.2d at 878 (quoting United States v. Eves, 932 F.2d 856, 860 (10th Cir.), cert. denied, --- U.S. ----, 112 S.Ct. 236, 116 L.Ed.2d 192 (1991)).

there you have it. 15 ounces of cuttings are legal after all. thanks wild bill.

so why now does anyone have any issue with plant counts or supply if they are legally allowed to have unlimited cuttings trying to root? this is new to me.

a tray of cuttings have been prosecuted recently since 2008 ?

However, you were lied to. Anyone that is not your registered caregiver is breaking the law when they sell you any cannabis.

we cant confuse possession, plant counts, and illegal transfers.  you are protected in the sale, but the sale remains illegal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#16 kruztydj

Advanced Member

Members

PipPipPip

874 posts

LocationBerrien county

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:50 PM

We had one of our club members go to jail for UN rooted clones. He was 4 over and had just cut the clones,,,, didn't matter.... As stated there is no case law on this and EACH prosecutor is doing it diffrently. If it's in a pot or glass of water and is intented to be a plant then make no dought they'll count the cut without roots and bust ya for it if over. I count ALL my cuts roots or not, but I'm not looking to spend $10.000.000 on lawyer fees fighting what a plant or not is in court. If you want to be dam sure your legal then my best advise would be to count them all untill case law defines this more.

I went to our prosecutor and asked him and he said if it's in a pot it's a plant. That includes cloners, glasses of water or whatever. If ya got it intended to be a plant then it is one.Your county maybe diffrent so good luck to ya if ya dont know how they'll handle ya if your over and claiming unrooted clones dont count. Ya maybe sitting in jail waiting for them to figure it out......

Callem and ask

Michael Komorn

Advanced Member

Administrators

1,003 posts

LocationSouthfield

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:53 AM

Clones not technically a "plant"

The federal definition requires a marijuana cutting have roots, a rootball, or root hairs observable to the naked eye in order to be considered a marijuana plant. That definition is in the notes in the Guidelines at 2D1.1, note 17. There is case law that says essentially the same thing.

Michael Komorn

Attorney and Counselor

Off: 248-357-2550

Mbl: 248-321-5393

Email: Michael@komornlaw.com

Check out my Radio show

Live Every Wednesday 8-9:00 p.m.

http://www.blogtalkr....com/realtalkfm

Click GreenTrees Radio

Call in Number 347-205-9718

Michael Komorn

Advanced Member

Administrators

1,003 posts

LocationSouthfield

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:22 AM

For Michigan criminal law, every cutting is a plant, roots or not. For Federal law, a plant must have roots to be counted. For Michigan Medical Marijuana law, there is not binding cases on this. There has been at least one case, no roots, no plant. But in every case the prosecutor charges the patient with the amount of plants that includes cuttings with no roots. A Michigan State botanist testified in a Medical Marijuana case and said no roots = no plant and the judge agreed.

State police have been good in a number of raids and not counted unrooted clones. Most drug squads count unrooted clones, because that is how they have always done it.

The spirit of the law would say no roots, no plants, but we can not always count on the courts supporting the spirit of the law.

definitely a worthwhile subject !

If cuttings are not plants, I wonder how leo would view 50 unrooted cuttings under a light, in a patients basement, while his card does no give him a right to possess plants?? yep, we all know how that would go down don't we?

The Digital Nomad

Patient, Grower, Activist

Members

PipPipPip

1,726 posts

LocationMacomb and Oakland Counties

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

there is no exceptions to help you hold on to some slow rooting clones, or see if a clone is bad. The law is clear - you can cultivate 12 plants.

you have to read the Controlled Substances Act at the Michigan Legislature site. When you violate the MMMAct, it is the CSA laws that apply.

For the sake of argument - the courts use the same CSA to define the plant and the act - under michigan law. In California, they did argue when is a plant? etc.

But in michigan, they avoid that argument by defining "intent" for many crimes including sex, robbery, home invasion, etc.

If you intended to cultivate 15 plants, not 12 - that is all that matters to convict you. They just have to show a jury or judge that you acted with the intention of breaking the law by definable actions. Like LHB said, a cutting laying on the floor or in the trash with household trash - it is obvious that it was NOT intended to be cultivated. Easy case.

Take that same cutting, stick it in a cup of water and place it in the refrigerator, stick it in a cube and place it under a light - regardless if you fail - it shows that you intended to manufacture that plant.

I love to hear of cities attempting to trump state law. When enough of them do it the state may be compelled to change its own law to accommodate.

seeds, clones, cuttings, buds are all considered cannabis. The Marijuana Act strictly prohibits cannabis to be transferred to anyone except the five patients listed on a caregiver card and offers protection for legal transfers only.  I'm sure hoping the store is registering patients before the sale to follow state law and be legit, and not being slated  like most every other provisioning center in the state for a raid, robbery, and prosecution.  Many have come before them and failed while believing/stating they were operating within the law, even recently. you have little to no risk when you shop their as a patient.cg, until you leave your copied information with the bud tender perhaps.

no argument intended here, but I am curious of your basis. Our state law already said only transfers between a caregiver and their five patients is legally protected. But we have a  dispensary -illegal by MI legal standards(agreed?)

If they are now transferring plant material to people who are not their register patients, they are not legally protected by our current law seen here http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(5ugodd3jmmfuh145kjcmy545))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-Initiated-Law-1-of-2008

The store is either following our state law, or they are not right?

purchase by a patient is protected, but not the sale in this instance, unless patient is registered to the seller as theirs, according to state law above. I don't judge the store one bit understand, but way too many misunderstandings end up here begging for help. I'd like you to avoid trouble, understand the info, and pass along the credible link.