Policing Pot: Enforcing The Law

CHOCOLAY TOWNSHIP --Five years ago Kathy Dunn was diagnosed with Lymes Disease.

"In a period of a few months I went from running five miles a day to a wheel chair," said Dunn.

Dunn has no movement of her legs. She's been managing her back, and joint pain with medical marijuana and other holistic medicines.

"It distracts me from the pain; it does not remove the pain," said Dunn. "The pain is still there, but it's not as big in my consciousness. I'm not as aware of it."

Dunn's use of marijuana is minimal. She typically takes one hit a day in the afternoon when the pain as its worst.

While Dunn's using marijuana for legitimate reasons, law enforcement are seeing more people abusing the law. According to Detective Lieutenant Mike Kohler, when

officers smells marijuana in an area they now have to verify if it's supposed to be there. He says many people say they are cardholders, but don't have the proof with

them.

"These laws are protected under HIPAA," said Kohler. "So, we would have to go through a process of a search warrant or subpoena it even to obtain information possibly

on if the person that we're encountering is supposed to be in possession of this marijuana."

Prosecuting Attorney Matt Wiese says they've seen cases with people growing excessive amounts of marijuana.

"That type of person is growing 200 or 250 plants," said Wiese. "They're doing this under the guise of being legitimate medical marijuana, and they're really doing this to

try to make it legal to deal marijuana."

Wiese says after comparing the states program to Canada's program, it's evident there's a problem with how easily people can be a cardholder.

"Michigan has approximately ten million people, the last time I checked we've issued more than 120,000 medical marijuana authorizations," reported Wiese. "Michigan is

one fourth the size of Canada, and we've issued ten times the amount of medical marijuana authorizations."

He says unfortunately it won't change unless how it's regulated changes. Wiese suggests it would be a better program once the government recognizes marijuana for

medicinal purposes. As for Dunn marijuana has been a life saver.

"If I get to walk, run, dance," said Dunn. "Even just walk across the room and serve someone a cup of coffee that would make me so so happy."

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=1122763#.VGeZyUvHP8t

One of the problems is coming from a baseline assumption that marijuana is bad, and that the existing laws are just. Eventually the institutions have to move from this spot as it entirely frames their attitudes & behaviors. I dont feel most everyday normal people view it the same way anymore.

But I thought they have a number they can call to verify a card, that no warrant was needed to do so...?