Rookie Needs Advice!

PFC Stone

sometimes mine go directly into flower room right after a chop, but I prefer to let them regrow for a few weeks if I can.

My  heaviest harvest was 12 plants vegged in 400 watts till 12 inches tall, then under a single 600 watt hps in a 2x4 tent. No fuss, no moving, no bending, then just filled the tent, a couple looked like vines wrapped around the back wall, I just left them, and they turned into this. a big foot low profile flood and drain, technaflora nutrients, changed weekly.

plants will bend themselves to the light.

a problem some of us run into, we cant stop playing with things, changing things around, wasting time on gardening all day. just set some timers and leave it alone already!! :)

That is exactly what I did / have done in past. Rotated the plants once a week 90 degrees and watered as needed only! Top dressed with super soil in the last 3 weeks.

I made the same mistake of just standing back admiring the beautiful plants and how they matured and before I recognized it they became monsters...that made me happy.

Shorter veg time for next round!

So if I understand, top early on in veg - 1 or 2 times and then flower 2

weeks from the last bondage/training. Let's say 18" - 24" tall / 30 or so days veg?

Top the plant just above the first node and you get two colas. Top above the second node and you'll get four colas.

Top the plant just above the first node and you get two colas. Top above the second node and you'll get four colas.

I've had a couple plants die in the past when I topped them when they were big and had a gaping hole in the stalk after topping.  I'm not sure exactly why they did, but I assumed maybe the big hole in the stalk prevented the plant's internal circulatory system from working.  In later tops, I'd mash the stalk between my fingers and bend it over at that point and leave it for a couple days before topping and never had another issue.  One other time I inserted a golf tee into the stalk and the plant lived. 

Do you have any ideas on this?

topped them when they were big? what did you cut them with? was it sterile?

if theres a hole in the stem when you cut the stem in half, having oxygen (and mold spores) jump in there could cause a plant to rot from the inside. i think the grow books all mention you should slap some gum or tape or tree goo to cover any open holes in your stems. for when the stems break in the wind or you knock them over.

i only do the fim way of topping, which is top them right when the new growth appears on the young plants. 

mainlining is cool too, its a mix of topping and lst to achieve a balanced plant footprint. but this must be done at the start of the plant growth, not after its 4 foot tall...

http://www.growweedeasy.com/mainlining-nugbuckets

i guess the answer is , top when plants are young, not when plants are big.

if there's a hole, somethings  got to go in it!

Hint- In veg I've successfully "grafted" one strain on to another using this "hole" you speak of.

very simple, hit or miss for a long time, oxygen is bad in the hole, cloning gel/willow water is not. It took me

a long time to own it, but I got it now. No need for it these days, but extrapolated one

could immediately see the benefit of a garden relying on mother plants for clones.

I kept multi strained moms for a few years until my cultures were where I needed them to be,

little evidence of the

procedure, except the different leaf patterns. If  the quasi gmo Frankenstein stuff

doesn't scare ya, this is a blast. (plaster of paris, cyanoacrylate, cloning hormones, duct tape, bleach, 71% alcohol, mini humidity dome/bags, etc) hint out.

if there's a hole, somethings  got to go in it!

Hint- In veg I've successfully "grafted" one strain on to another using this "hole" you speak of.

very simple, hit or miss for a long time, oxygen is bad in the hole, cloning gel/willow water is not. It took me

a long time to own it, but I got it now. No need for it these days, but extrapolated one

could immediately see the benefit of a garden relying on mother plants for clones.

I kept multi strained moms for a few years until my cultures were where I needed them to be,

little evidence of the

procedure, except the different leaf patterns. If  the quasi gmo Frankenstein stuff

doesn't scare ya, this is a blast. (plaster of paris, cyanoacrylate, cloning hormones, duct tape, bleach, 71% alcohol, mini humidity dome/bags, etc) hint out.

Sounds like a lot of work?

which part?

I don't see grafting/cloning/culturing as the work. Its not for everyone of course, but Scheduling, patient interviewing, dirt handling, harvesting, = that's where I work. Someday though, I'll consider it all too much work maybe, and grow my 12 only. I doubt I'll stop the horticultural madness completely though, my acres are full of my work with other fruit and vegetables/herb creations. I feel unable to stop the botanical endeavors for now.

I've had a couple plants die in the past when I topped them when they were big and had a gaping hole in the stalk after topping.  I'm not sure exactly why they did, but I assumed maybe the big hole in the stalk prevented the plant's internal circulatory system from working.  In later tops, I'd mash the stalk between my fingers and bend it over at that point and leave it for a couple days before topping and never had another issue.  One other time I inserted a golf tee into the stalk and the plant lived. 

Do you have any ideas on this?

Top them as soon as they have four or five. Pinch back to first or second.