Rso/hemp Oil

I did a search today on Google for rso causing stomach pain and I found the old thread which prompted me to post. I've been having stomach problems lately and the only thing that I can connect it to is starting to take oil capsules. I probably took a whole lot more of oil than I should have, it wasn't cut with anything and they were 3/4 full 00 capsule. I've stopped taking them to see if the stomach problems go away.my question is concerning the making of the oil. I have two batches in the freezer right now that are soaking in 190 proof Everclear and have been since Sunday. I would like to know your thoughts on "washing" it that long.

190 proof has water in it. That water targets compounds that are soluble in water. The alcohol targets those soluble in alcohol, like the active ingredients you seek.

Some water soluble items do cause some people gastrointestinal issues. Chlorophyll is a notorious suspect often. Try a quick soak, or a purer alcohol.

Under my 1600x microscope I see alcohol takes a very short time to totally dissolve the waxy trichome heads, releasing the active ingredients. days, not weeks.

soaking should be done in room temps, winterizing to remove the water/wax is done over night in the freezer. 

check out my first post in this thread for a no nonsense no solvent approach to extractions. http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/44672-essential-tools-of-the-trade/

I suggest a complete drying of the donor material, a frozen sift with the essential tool mentioned, and pack your 00 caps with the result for a win in the tummy!

i dont remember any stomach pain from rso.

how long have you had stomach pain and how long have you been taking the oil?

i'm fighting some stomach pain right now and i have no idea what caused it.

almost feels like appendicitis :\

Appendicitis ??? best monitor that closely, don't take chances, get your azz into the e.r. if it gets one bit worse

oh yeah, i always forget.

try taking the oil anally. as a suppository. that will make it skip the stomach and go right for the bloodstream. possibly skipping the stomach problems you are seeing.

watch out, can absorb more oil from the butt vs eating it, so it maybe stronger, watch the dosage at first.

and yes, this is a serious suggestion.

Edited by t-pain

I watched a youtube video of someone making RSO, they used frozen bud, alcohol from the freezer, bowls and all utensils frozen. After complete process liquid was honey color. Guy said original RSO has green color from cloraphyl. Then stated what he was making was not RSO because it wasnt green.then stated it was honey oil. My stuff has been in freezer since sunday. Two half gallon jars with 1/4 lbs each and half gallon of 190 everclear. Liquid has light tint. Its 12 outside so I will strain in my cold garage today

I watched a youtube video of someone making RSO, they used frozen bud, alcohol from the freezer, bowls and all utensils frozen. After complete process liquid was honey color. Guy said original RSO has green color from cloraphyl. Then stated what he was making was not RSO because it wasnt green.then stated it was honey oil. My stuff has been in freezer since sunday. Two half gallon jars with 1/4 lbs each and half gallon of 190 everclear. Liquid has light tint. Its 12 outside so I will strain in my cold garage today

The cold makes the fats and waxes stay separate from the oil. So when you strain it the fats and waxes end up in the strainer/filter. That makes the smoking/vaping smoother. 

Edited by Restorium2

I have made extractions using 99% and 91% isopropyl alcohol, using leaf trim.  No amount of freezing the material and chilling the alcohol and tools, no quick wash seemed to avoid the green tint.

Then I tried using carbon (the 1-quart jar would last most patients for years):  http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/activated_charcoal_powder/norit_sa4

I'd mix some of the charcoal powder in the alcohol extract, let it sit for a few days, mixing from time to time, then filter.  The result is a beautiful amber oil.  I have read where some patients just gravity strain but I could never get the liquid to pass through the filter without using a vacuum pump and filter funnel (with filter paper), like these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-98076.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-ml-ml-filtering-flask-80mm-Buchner-Funnel-and-Filter-Adaptor-/201213360225?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed9403861

You'll also need a length of reinforced tubing to connect the pump to the flask.  Regular tubing will collapse under the vacuum.

I don't have any photos, but I also rigged-up a canning jar lid with a barbed fitting.  This way I can put the final product (after the alcohol is evaporated) in whatever size Mason jar I want and apply vacuum.  Vacuum causes liquids to evaporate more readily and at lower temperatures than normal, so this helps ensure a complete purge of the alcohol.  Of course, heating the oil in the oven on low heat will work too. 

I have made extractions using 99% and 91% isopropyl alcohol, using leaf trim.  No amount of freezing the material and chilling the alcohol and tools, no quick wash seemed to avoid the green tint.

Then I tried using carbon (the 1-quart jar would last most patients for years):  http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/activated_charcoal_powder/norit_sa4

I'd mix some of the charcoal powder in the alcohol extract, let it sit for a few days, mixing from time to time, then filter.  The result is a beautiful amber oil.  I have read where some patients just gravity strain but I could never get the liquid to pass through the filter without using a vacuum pump and filter funnel (with filter paper), like these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-98076.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-ml-ml-filtering-flask-80mm-Buchner-Funnel-and-Filter-Adaptor-/201213360225?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed9403861

You'll also need a length of reinforced tubing to connect the pump to the flask.  Regular tubing will collapse under the vacuum.

I don't have any photos, but I also rigged-up a canning jar lid with a barbed fitting.  This way I can put the final product (after the alcohol is evaporated) in whatever size Mason jar I want and apply vacuum.  Vacuum causes liquids to evaporate more readily and at lower temperatures than normal, so this helps ensure a complete purge of the alcohol.  Of course, heating the oil in the oven on low heat will work too. 

I tried using food grade carbon filters too. Man was that oil strong! It seemed to be missing something to 'tone it down'. I still have some of that. Can't find a use for it. What was yours like?

separating waxes and experimenting with solvents and their removal before ingestion is scary. =gastro intestinal issues(?)

The safest tech for op is a dry sift, stuffed capsule for an oral win imo.

That's why you use an alcohol that you know what it will do at temperatures above it's boiling point. I always distil it once first to see how it behaves before it ever hits the cannabis. 

I tried using food grade carbon filters too. Man was that oil strong! It seemed to be missing something to 'tone it down'. I still have some of that. Can't find a use for it. What was yours like?

I had the same experience.  It was a lot of effort, filtering, winterizing, repeating until there was no visible carbon residue in the filter.  A few patients tried it straight (both inhaled from a vaporizer - see below -  and eaten) and wanted nothing more to do with it.  I won't even need to get into what happened with edibles.  A couple of guys would take a heated butter knife and dab it in the oil and then smear a thin coat on a rolling paper and had better results.  But I guess when you produce quality buds and deal mostly with old-school folks, there is less interest in oil. 

I have had oil stashed for over a year now - in syringes, stainless steel shot glasses, and borosilicate vials. 

Last year at Christmas time, I gave a patient a portable vaporizer as a gift.  (Link below).  She used it one time and had to go to bed afterwards and never used it again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eclipse-Vape-Vaporizer-Artistic-Assorted-Colors-/221270777141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3384c41d35

So then I tried topicals.  There is an 80-something year old guy who lives down the street and who suffers from numerous ailments (who doesn't at that age?).  His most prominent issue was psoriasis.  I made him a topical using the refined oil mixed with emu oil.  (dang, the emu oil is expensive but seems to be among the best to facilitate dermal absorption).  He experienced good results, but I have no idea if that was due  to the cannabis oil, the emu oil, or simply him taking a more aggressive approach.

I had the same experience.  It was a lot of effort, filtering, winterizing, repeating until there was no visible carbon residue in the filter.  A few patients tried it straight (both inhaled from a vaporizer - see below -  and eaten) and wanted nothing more to do with it.  I won't even need to get into what happened with edibles.  A couple of guys would take a heated butter knife and dab it in the oil and then smear a thin coat on a rolling paper and had better results.  But I guess when you produce quality buds and deal mostly with old-school folks, there is less interest in oil. 

I have had oil stashed for over a year now - in syringes, stainless steel shot glasses, and borosilicate vials. 

Last year at Christmas time, I gave a patient a portable vaporizer as a gift.  (Link below).  She used it one time and had to go to bed afterwards and never used it again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eclipse-Vape-Vaporizer-Artistic-Assorted-Colors-/221270777141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3384c41d35

So then I tried topicals.  There is an 80-something year old guy who lives down the street and who suffers from numerous ailments (who doesn't at that age?).  His most prominent issue was psoriasis.  I made him a topical using the refined oil mixed with emu oil.  (dang, the emu oil is expensive but seems to be among the best to facilitate dermal absorption).  He experienced good results, but I have no idea if that was due  to the cannabis oil, the emu oil, or simply him taking a more aggressive approach.

Ah thanks. Good to compare results. 

Grandpa,if the oil is bothering your guts,DO NOT INJEST ALCOHOL. It will make it worse. I know this for fact. One dose and you will feel stomach pain like you just ate fire.( Edited because I didn't remember....yes the oil made me nauseous, I tried 4 different types but all were oil based.)

Edited by jointedone

out of stock,does not carry any of that,  just do a quick wash,   also you can run it thew your coffee pot first to remove the bad stiuff, Hot water will not wash the goodies away  what you will have come out is a dirty brown water,  then completely  dry  and do a very quick wash with 99..  the stuff will come out abut 80 to 90  %  read this on the instructions of the old ISO 2 kit.

Bio-availability is measurably higher with suppositories. Highly recommend if you are having difficulty with oral application. As other posters have indicated, it's hard to pin down how or why you are having issues. Could be the solvent, the strains, the heat application, or even an unsanitary space where the oil is made (there are hundreds or reasons that your stomach could hurt and they may or may not be cannabis related.) If you do try a suppository, drop your dose way down. The cannabis is much more easily absorbed via this method and the absorption is much faster. You'll feel it in 20 minutes.

http://cannabisdigest.ca/cannatory/

Edited by suneday11

Try this;

1. Freeze dried cannabis and alcohol overnight.
  2. Add alcohol to cannabis.
  3. Shake for 10 - 15 minutes.
  4. Strain through coffee filter.
  5. Freeze alcohol solution overnight.
  6. Strain through coffee filter.
  7. Remove alcohol by method of choice.

The quick wash dissolves the trichomes which contain the active ingredients. Freezing keeps most of the chlorophyll, waxes etc. from dissolving in the alcohol. The additional freezing and straining removes the waxes that did dissolve.

Here is a method for making herbal suppositories if you elect to go that route. http://oldtimemeds.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-to-make-cannabis-suppositories.html

If you elect to use oil instead whole herb in the suppositories be very cautious with dosing. A little goes a long way.

Edited by Wild Bill

the link that suneday posted mentions that gel caps do not dissolve easily in the rectum. so you want something that will dissolve, or freeze oil/butter in a mcdonalds straw and then it should be the correct size and wont need a gelcap.

obv do not insert the straw, merely squeeze out the frozen suppository of it. just use it as a mold, not an applicator.

of course, then it will be pretty chilly! brrrr

Edited by t-pain