$40/kilo....

semicaregiver

Interesting story this AM on NPR regarding MJ production in Mexico and 50,000 plant legal grow operations in Colorado.  

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=367767955&m=367938711&live=1

Gives one pause to pondetr where the market may be going in the next ten years.

$40 for 2 pounds? Imagine the slaves that cleaned it. I can't. There's labor involved don't forget. I think that some chase their tail with illegal stuff to the point of working for pennies without even realizing it. The only way to be able to sell two pounds for $40 is if you have slaves or stole it. I guess prisons could use inmates to grow and clean it? I'm sure you would get plenty of volunteers. 

what you dont like automatically trimmed bud resto?

50k plants, its not going to be hand trimmed...

Nope. There is no machine that actually trims. You can get a bud mangler that sort of makes a bud look like it is trimmed. After that you can't even 'fix it'. Might as well just grind the whole mess up and sell it for $40 for 2 pounds. AHHH Did I discover the secret?

The quote was an interview with a Mexican farmer.   If production of cannabis were to go international, $40/kilo (about $1/ounce) could be a reality.   Not saying whether that is good or bad, just offering food for thought.

I hear you. But you can't clean an ounce for $1 worth of labor so this just shows they aren't going to even clean it. That Mexican Farmer is living in the past. His stuff is weak now and no one wants it. He can say whatever but he's a dinosaur walking. 

Mexican farmers in general are suffering because of NAFTA. Those who grow cannabis get the double edged sword of USA legalization and no market for their other crops. Expect more to cross our borders looking for a living.

As heavily subsidized U.S. corn and other staples poured into Mexico, producer prices dropped and small farmers found themselves unable to make a living. Some two million have been forced to leave their farms since Nafta. At the same time, consumer food prices rose, notably the cost of the omnipresent tortilla.

As a result, 20 million Mexicans live in “food poverty”. Twenty-five percent of the population does not have access to basic food and one-fifth of Mexican children suffer from malnutrition. Transnational industrial corridors in rural areas have contaminated rivers and sickened the population and typically, women bear the heaviest impact.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/11/24/what-weve-learned-from-nafta/under-nafta-mexico-suffered-and-the-united-states-felt-its-pain

BTW, I've seen commercial grows where they let it dry for a few days then strip the small stems, leaves and flowers off of the big stalks, spray them with water, throw them in bags to mildew and get rid of the green smell, then brick them up while still damp so they stick together better.

Not a great deal of labor involved, no one's sitting around trimming buds. That's what you'll get for low prices.

cheap%20weed.jpg?itok=Bkh2jeVi

Edited by Wild Bill

Real Mexican grass from the 70s was actually good smoke nothing like the pressed dry crap from later years.

I'd love to have some of the old top shelf Mexican again. I remember standing on a street corner smoking a joint and laughing uncontrollably at everything that went by.

Real Mexican grass from the 70s was actually good smoke nothing like the pressed dry crap from later years.

MIshmacon, Oaxca, some of the best, for 90. a lb, less if yo got more than one.. I remember well.. :) Or was that the late 60's LOL  if you remember them days you weren't high enough!!!

Edited by Willy

I'd love to have some of the old top shelf Mexican again. I remember standing on a street corner smoking a joint and laughing uncontrollably at everything that went by.

Yes I can remember around 8th grade (1977?) smoking some Mishamacon out back of the local Firestone  tire store during lunch hour at school made things  much brighter and funnier the rest of the day.

I always thought that they just quit caring and harvested late and it was all burned out from being taken well beyond ripeness early 80s is when the low grade swag started to hit our streets dirt brown smelling like fresh dirt also it was no surprise getting a brick and finding a big clump of dirt pressed in the middle to rip off consumers and suppliers.

Weed: Adventures of a Dope Smuggler by Jerry Kamstra is a must read if you are nostalgic about Mexican.  It's about his adventures in the smuggling game in the 60's including traveling to the mountains of Mexico to personally inspect the plants and transport the crop by mule.  It's as much about the Mexican people as smuggling.  Highly recommended for anyone! 

1000x1000.jpg

Why was Mexican and Columbian weed always brown? I was told that they dried it outside and the dew that collected on the plants broke down the chlorophyll. Anybody know?

Partly genetics and partly poor handling.

The Columbians would break the stalk at the base and lay the plants down then cover them with a tarp to sweat. The plant was still alive but was extremely stressed and got no light, hence no more chlorophyll. Comparable to keeping your plants in darkness before harvest.

Mexican cannabis ran the gamut from very well cared for to absolute trash. I'd found everything from ten penny nails to bat wings in bricks. We used to get a chocolate brown Jamaican back then too. It was very tasty and quite potent but we weren't well connected enough with them to know how they grew it.

Partly genetics and partly poor handling.

The Columbians would break the stalk at the base and lay the plants down then cover them with a tarp to sweat. The plant was still alive but was extremely stressed and got no light, hence no more chlorophyll. Comparable to keeping your plants in darkness before harvest.

Mexican cannabis ran the gamut from very well cared for to absolute trash. I'd found everything from ten penny nails to bat wings in bricks. We used to get a chocolate brown Jamaican back then too. It was very tasty and quite potent but we weren't well connected enough with them to know how they grew it.

LOL ya i remember one time i got an old shoe, no bunny muffin :) right in the middle of the brick,,, another time i got a big asz bag of pinto beans,, lol called them my magic beans.. talk about buyer beware :)