Need Help Immediately

cbenton

I'm a Medical Cannabis patient for Crohns disease who recently moved into new house. I rent a room in a 5 bedroom house, and am now facing eviction in the form of a scam (or atleast I think). I met these people through craigslist, went and met with them in person to "Interview" for this room. i was asked various questions and asked if I had a criminal background. My reply was yes I do for Use of Marihuana which is a low end misdemeanor, and according to their "background check" it came up clean with a misdemeanor. I was asked if I still use it to which my answer was yes I do, I have a medical marihuana card from the State for my crohns disease showed her my expired card and current paperwork. I asked her and her husband if that was a problem and I was told no; as long as I didn't smoke it inside then I was fine to have it there and I could use it outside. 

Over the last few weeks of my stay here, I've had not a single issue, until i got some really stinky medicine yesterday. They smelled it when I came inside from smoking outside and asked me if I was smoking inside and I told them no and I was being totally honest. Today I went outside this morning and used my cannabis to help with my stomach problems. I came back in and I was approached and told I have to be out of the house because i'm breaking a lease agreement I've never seen. Now I'm no expert but don't I have rights? Don't I have a 30 day right to eviction under due process? 

To make matters worse I took all of my stuff out of the house today and when I came back about an hour ago I went down to my room to put my back pack and stuff away and went outside to smoke a cigarette and the lady I'm leasing from called the police on me saying I'm doing illegal drugs. Now I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do?

Not to mention Sunday i was let go from my job and they gave me a half assed eviction notice stating I have 30 days but I'm one of 4 roommates being evicted by these people. We all just moved in after paying $350 F.M.R and a $350non-refundable deposit plus we all just payed for decembers rent and now I'm being told I have to be out on December 9th. Fellow advocates I'm in desperate need of help.

Hi, C.  I searched for Grand Rapids Tenant Union. 

http://www.grurbanleague.org/housing

Landlord/Tenant Affairs and Rental Delinquency Counseling
Individuals, who are experiencing financial difficulty in paying their monthly rent and/or are close to possible eviction from their homes, should contact a Grand Rapids Urban League Housing Counselor regarding potential options to prevent eviction.

Grand Rapids Urban League Housing Counselors may be able to advise and/or advocate on behalf of the individual (depending upon individual circumstances). Housing Counselors speak directly with property managers on behalf of the client. Grand Rapids Urban League Housing Counselors may also refer clients to alternate agencies that may be able to provide financial assistance to families in crisis.

Third-party advocacy in some situations can be the key to a successful turn of events. Contact the Grand Rapids Urban League Housing Counselor for an individual assessment of your situation in order to prevent further complications from the initial delinquency.

Very sorry to hear you are experiencing this.  Sounds hinky to me.

Have you thought to do a 'background check' on them? Perhaps they

do this on a regular basis and the 4 of you are not their 1st. victims?

I believe that they must give you a eviction notice through the court system.

I also believe that is 30 days from the time you are served.

Please how ever do your research and know your rights!

Edited by imiubu

fight them - do NOT move. Get your video camera on standby fully chaarged (and check to make sure it tapes and you can use and transfer those recordings BEFORE you need them...do a dry run then copy it...if not easy get something else.

Eviction is a legal process. First is notice to quit (which they fill out themselves and have it "served" (handed to you) on you. Next if you do nothing is they file a court action for eviction, again, this has to be served on you personally by a process server (not them or anyone connected with them).

Then a court date is set sometimes you have to send in written "answer" to the eviction complaint - do not go on and on just type number by number to their complaint and say "DENIED as untrue" -- again, do not go off writting letters or explaining things on the answer -- then you have to send it to them by 1st class mail and do a proof of service (saying what you sent, how and what day, date, time, by mail with postage fully paid -- google it or check rocket lawyer for a form.

Then go to court -- with 4 of you I cannot see you loosing as its discrimination basically. Of course get a lawyer if you can, 4 people splitting the bill it would be cheapo maybe 500 total so 150 each...but many people go in by themselves, PROOF my man, not what you say but you need to PROOF ....your statements are some proof (but thats why you want video of them....) get everything in writing. demand the "lease" in writing, PROOF not words proof (paper, video, witnesses with you in Court, ect....

seems pretty simple...this is educational only and no advice

M

fight them - do NOT move. Get your video camera on standby fully chaarged (and check to make sure it tapes and you can use and transfer those recordings BEFORE you need them...do a dry run then copy it...if not easy get something else.

Eviction is a legal process. First is notice to quit (which they fill out themselves and have it "served" (handed to you) on you. Next if you do nothing is they file a court action for eviction, again, this has to be served on you personally by a process server (not them or anyone connected with them).

Then a court date is set sometimes you have to send in written "answer" to the eviction complaint - do not go on and on just type number by number to their complaint and say "DENIED as untrue" -- again, do not go off writting letters or explaining things on the answer -- then you have to send it to them by 1st class mail and do a proof of service (saying what you sent, how and what day, date, time, by mail with postage fully paid -- google it or check rocket lawyer for a form.

Then go to court -- with 4 of you I cannot see you loosing as its discrimination basically. Of course get a lawyer if you can, 4 people splitting the bill it would be cheapo maybe 500 total so 150 each...but many people go in by themselves, PROOF my man, not what you say but you need to PROOF ....your statements are some proof (but thats why you want video of them....) get everything in writing. demand the "lease" in writing, PROOF not words proof (paper, video, witnesses with you in Court, ect....

seems pretty simple...this is educational only and no advice

M

Very good i hope he follow's your  advise

• 4 weeks later...

If you know you're leaving and definitely not getting your deposit back then it might be a nice gesture to give a dozen stray cats a warm home for a few days.

Make sure they have plenty of food and water. Litter box is entirely optional.

It'll give the place that "certain something" that the new tenants will absolutely love.

Another nice touch is to pull off a baseboard, pack some raw meat behind the wall then replace the baseboard, touch up any paint damage and be on your way.

Great fun for the landlords! It'll be like a treasure hunt!

what about

1)no paperwork/lease agreement/receipt?

2) month to month renting and how that may apply to a renters eviction proceedings?

any protection offered from rent scams like these "landlords" are pulling?

I have to agree, If you dont have a copy of a lease and you did not change your adress on your I.D's your screwed, you need to learn from this, dont ever move into a place or give any one money w/o paper work, w/o that paper work or your adress being there on you liscense or I.D you have nothing and they have all, usualy tennants have more rights than land lords but only with proper paper work, they could actualy get you out within 10 days!  been there on both sides!

Peace

edit = 10 days or they could have you arrested for trespassing like now!

Edited by phaquetoo

If you know you're leaving and definitely not getting your deposit back then it might be a nice gesture to give a dozen stray cats a warm home for a few days.

Make sure they have plenty of food and water. Litter box is entirely optional.

It'll give the place that "certain something" that the new tenants will absolutely love.

Another nice touch is to pull off a baseboard, pack some raw meat behind the wall then replace the baseboard, touch up any paint damage and be on your way.

Great fun for the landlords! It'll be like a treasure hunt!

Go get some cheap frozen fish and pull the fridge out and stuff it in the back or under it, it will take them a while to find it and I have not smelled anything worse than that. I used to do work for apt managers, I refused to do work in some of the apts because I wouldnt put my tarps on the floors or be able to deal with the smell!

Peace

bawahahahahahahaha!

quite the pickle you 2 got me in ollie!  I love it,,,,,,I had nothin to do with it but it is funny as hell!

lets all meet for lunch! lmao

Peace

edit= so who the heck got my full name? bawahahahahaha!

Edited by phaquetoo

I hope every member didn't receive your full name in their pm boxes. see how easy that happens  phaq? 

might not seem a big deal to a seasoned mj'er like yourself, but imagine some newly registered, skeered of the net type of person, sharing their name and address in pm only to find out others got it too. That could ruin a patients new experience, not to mention compromise their security right?  you were definitely right, even though I didn't see the answer....lol

I just put my addy in their too lol you dropped out, No I truly dont care if people know my name, I used to have my face as my avitar I have pics of me and my lady and kids in my gallery here,,,,,I have nothing too hide, I would welcome any pt in here to come give me a visit, I like meeting people, but I am feeling alot better also because we have had some sun,,,,in fact its making it hard to read this screen right now,,,,,,,you must have pushed the wrong button gm I have never done a 3 way pm, but ive done 3 ways in real life bawahahahaha!  their not good for a relationship lmao but hey im still hangin and had the kickin experience, the person I was with was lucky I didnt make her leave when she had enough of the other young lady lol!

Happy Trails!

Peace

Jim

I don't recall ever sending or receiving a resto  pm. I definitely don't know how to "three way " a conversation in pm either. resto was not in my pm boxes and there were no buttons for me to push except for "delete",...... but he was in yours for thought. chances are, you pushed the wrong button maybe?  glad you didn't have a whole list of posters in that roster.

my wife would have a serious problem if I posted her pics in a marijuana forum or ANY where on line! Those pics can and are swiped for all kinds of advertising, some of it is real nasty too. We know of a guy this happened too, his facebook pic was used in a gay website campaign for years. He had only one pic online on his moms fb page. He sent it to her on her birthday and BAM! Someone sent him links to his photo being used all over the nasty. I bet that's not an isolated incident, and only one example of a good reason not to post face pics. Jobs, police, kids and their friends, etc can all see the same pics, and know where they came from. That's icky even if when we have nothing to hide. Some folks may say something here that they might not say to the Judge is all. 

I don't recall ever sending or receiving a resto  pm. I definitely don't know how to "three way " a conversation in pm either. resto was not in my pm boxes and there were no buttons for me to push except for "delete",...... but he was in yours for thought. chances are, you pushed the wrong button maybe?  glad you didn't have a whole list of posters in that roster.

my wife would have a serious problem if I posted her pics in a marijuana forum or ANY where on line! Those pics can and are swiped for all kinds of advertising, some of it is real nasty too. We know of a guy this happened too, his facebook pic was used in a gay website campaign for years. He had only one pic online on his moms fb page. He sent it to her on her birthday and BAM! Someone sent him links to his photo being used all over the nasty. I bet that's not an isolated incident, and only one example of a good reason not to post face pics. Jobs, police, kids and their friends, etc can all see the same pics, and know where they came from. That's icky even if when we have nothing to hide. Some folks may say something here that they might not say to the Judge is all. 

I have been on this site since oct of 09,,,,I have never had this kinda thing happen to me, meaning a 3 way conversation, I most def will use it when the time is right and all party's agree, I dont and realy cant tell any one about you or resto as far as how you both are in real life, I do know any one I have met in person from here was way worth the drive and I have met nothing but good people,

Im sure you both fit into that category, I know people are afraid of letting people know who they are online, I wont do credit card purchases to often.   I still write checks to pay my bills and send them via snail mail, I dont pay for anything with my bank card linked to my banck acct!

To the op I am very sorry for highjacking your thread, and I would have no prob with admins taking this silly stuff off of this persons thread, we all know what happened, as far as what we wrote our selve and the reply's we got untill the last one,

Im not perfect and I could have made some kinda mistake in the pm, but I doubt it, like I said It has never happened to me before, and I dont accuse either of the other 2 in the conversation, I do know that lately a few times i have not been able to get on the site, for what ever reasons, maintenance or internet problems, plus we did have a few idiots come here and try and spam every one, and do a few stupid threads never to be seen again!

Happy New Years!

Peace

Jim