Butane Hash Oil -- The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Riddle me this;

If you took alcohol, any kind, and distilled it, boiled it below the boiling point of water in a closed system, and collected what you boiled off in a still(closed system), then used that for extraction(closed system). When you were finishing your extraction, removing the alcohol in a closed system, wouldn't it all boil off the same way it did the first time you boiled it off?

Edited by Restorium2

sorry I dont realy have anything to add at this time, but I dont want to read the whole thread next time I come back for a read,

I like the butane extraction, I dont know how to recollect the butane if it is possible, (im thinking it isnt because of the evape rate) and iso at almost 100% seems like it takes to long and to many steps!

but I have some iso made and Im realy impressed with it, so well you never know I may switch up my extraction method, I would love to reclaim the extraction vehicle, that is the most expensive part in my bho extraction!

a realy good read, Im looking forward to others opins and here how they make it!

Peace

With alcohol it's easy to reclaim. Actually works better, in my opinion, then an open system. The closed system costs under $500. If you are paying big money for your solvent you might want to consider buying the closed system so you can use it again, and not worry about the environment messing with your product. So it's safer, less likely to collect moisture, and less expensive in the long run. 

sorry I dont realy have anything to add at this time, but I dont want to read the whole thread next time I come back for a read,

I like the butane extraction, I dont know how to recollect the butane if it is possible, (im thinking it isnt because of the evape rate) and iso at almost 100% seems like it takes to long and to many steps!

but I have some iso made and Im realy impressed with it, so well you never know I may switch up my extraction method, I would love to reclaim the extraction vehicle, that is the most expensive part in my bho extraction!

a realy good read, Im looking forward to others opins and here how they make it!

Peace

the "rate of evaporation" is actually the important part sort of. The gas is preferred in the food industry/pharma etc because of its very predictable vaporization temp point. In the system I've used the whole operation is done under a natural vacuum condition that count on the gas evaporating at ambient room temps. After the extraction the oil and the pure gas is collected under vacuum in a separate tank, which is warmed slightly. The gas will vaporize at ambient temps but the higher the temps the faster the gas will evaporate. 109f is the safe suggested max temp. A valve is opened and a large qty of the gas is evap'd into another small tank, leaving the essential oil behind, like rosemary, thyme,etc. that tank sits on a scale and when the weight is equal to the weight of the original gas used, the job is done. 100% of the gas that went in, is weighed on the out, guaranteeing all of the gas has been removed. That tank can be used over and over this way with no leaks, hiss, smells, or Ntane in the air.

The difference between Nbutane and canned butane is the actual gases and chems used in the supply. Propane for instance has a different vaporizing temp than butane, so 109 may (or may not) remove 100% of that gas. Propane is one of a dozen or so different gases that are always present in smoke shop butane. Higher heat may be necessary to assure a 100% solvent removal with canned gas. not sure about this. I've used canned gas, even inside of the unit and had little issue, but I would insist on ntane since.

hope that helps

Riddle me this;

If you took alcohol, any kind, and distilled it, boiled it below the boiling point of water in a closed system, and collected what you boiled off in a still(closed system), then used that for extraction(closed system). When you were finishing your extraction, removing the alcohol in a closed system, wouldn't it all boil off the same way it did the first time you boiled it off?

not sure if you asking me, but if I understand your scenario correctly, I tend to believe it would. The alcohol vape temp, once determined would remove 100% of the alcohol from the essential oil, and be used to extract again with super fine results.

at around 173f, the vape temp for ethanol, there may be some advantages to using a solvent with lower vape temps to avoid possibly damaging medicinal constituents, like flavonoids in food essential oils, or terpenes in perfume extractions. It may be advantageous for some patients to use ethanol/or higher temps for their specific target also

Edited by grassmatch

not sure if you asking me, but if I understand your scenario correctly, I tend to believe it would. The alcohol vape temp, once determined would remove 100% of the alcohol from the essential oil, and be used to extract again with super fine results.

at around 173f, the vape temp for ethanol, there may be some advantages to using a solvent with lower vape temps to avoid possibly damaging medicinal constituents, like flavonoids in food essential oils, or terpenes in perfume extractions. It may be advantageous for some patients to use ethanol/or higher temps for their specific target also

Thank you for your input. I have had some college chemistry and I concur. I tried it and it worked excellent. Excellent feedback. In the old days these methods have been frowned upon because of a lack of understanding about how to 'adjust' the finished product for a desired usage. BHO was always king because the product is free from those things that make it hard to smoke. But now we have the knowledge to make alcohol extractions, even long warm extractions, perfect for all uses you can think of. It's just a matter of finding the right process to make what you need. I tend to make an extraction that carries as much of the cannabinoids as possible and then process that again if need be. That way you have collected all the good things from cannabis you might want in the future. Which brings us to 'storage' and how to protect what you have worked so hard to collect.