Michigan Close To Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

bobandtorey

Yes Bob after a while you do quit trying and just make do with what you do have. Is it okay with you that I am sick and cannot work anymore? But I did work as a server since I was 18. It's been the last 10 years I haven't worked. Why don't you work? I wouldn't pass a drug test to work at McDs. I am just hoping to follow my family history and die at 65. CMON,DEATH!

Why don't you work? because it's hard Lol

Isn't it about time that we cut all the crap surrounding "welfare" recipients? It is time to just start beating these people. And I mean that literally. Beat them with sticks, poles, books, whatever. Why just nip at them from around the edges? Get right to the heart of the problem. Apparently, according to the republicans, the general public wants welfare people to be held accountable for getting government funds. Why not just make it legal to beat welfare recipients and make them wear signs so they can be easily identified by haters and beaten accordingly?

I am kidding of course, but Jesus sometimes I wonder.

It's easier for the politicians to lead people to believe  all their tax money is going to "lazy welfare cheats". They don't want people to know that the tax money really goes to enrich the bankers and corporate welfare recipients.

I forgot to mention that Michigan republicans refused to pay 8 million dollars in heating assistance to get 250 million dollars in food aid for Michigan residents.  Most people food stamps are being cut by over half this month.  Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Winters are cold in Michigan, but perhaps not as cold as the folks at the state capital who have decided to forego a relatively modest expense that would have preserved food assistance for thousands of families in need.

Michigan is one of only four states that have decided to go along with congressional Republicans' efforts to close the so-called "loophole" in the farm bill's heat-and-eat program.

The program increases food stamp benefits for people who qualify for state heating assistance, the idea being that people shouldn't have to choose between heating their homes and eating.

In prior years many states, including Michigan, gave a token amount of fuel aid, as little as $1 a year, to people such as renters without utility bills so that households could receive the extra benefits.

A lot of people, even many people sympathetic to SNAP, called that a loophole or, even worse, a scam, and Republicans exploited those doubts to push through a rule change that would require a $20 minimum fuel-aid payment before the program kicked in.

Democrats fighting the GOP's original plan to cut $40 billion from food stamps went along, and President Barack Obama signed the farm bill here in Michigan in February. The new rule was expected to save $8 billion over a decade.

A funny thing happened, though. Of 16 states affected by the change, a dozen ponied up the additional money to ensure residents didn't see a cut.

"Government's role is to help people help themselves, and these steps are necessary to help our most vulnerable residents and families meet their most basic needs," Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said when he announced his state's move earlier this year.

Michigan Republicans don't see it that way.

"We decided we couldn't justify spending $21 per household for people that didn't have any energy expenses, particularly in a year where the state had really cold temperatures," said Department of Human Services spokesperson Bob Wheaton in an interview with MLive.

We find it extraordinary that people in public service find it easier to justify the denial of basic necessities to low-income people than to work around a rule that shouldn't have been imposed in the first place.

Is it a loophole? Perhaps, but if we're going to ferret out fiscal glitches in federal policies, how about we focus on the byzantine rules and tax shelters that allow wealthy corporations and individuals to duck tax obligations before we start slashing programs designed to help our most vulnerable citizens.

The only problem with SNAP is that it serves too few people and its benefits are too meager. The Republican-led rule change will mean that nearly 150,000 families will lose as much as $75 per month in food assistance, a huge reduction for families already struggling to get by.

Many congressional Republicans, of course, are furious with the states that maneuvered around the rule change and have called on the president to hold them accountable.

We believe those states did the right thing. We wish Michigan had, as well.

https://www.credomobilize.com/petitions/stop-food-stamp-cuts-in-state-2

To: Michigan Governor Rick Snyder

Nearly a million Americans are on the verge of losing $90 per month in food stamps benefits. I urge you to sign an executive order increasing heating assistance subsidies to prevent thousands of Michigan families from losing access to food stamps.

Why is this important?

Last month, President Obama signed a new “farm bill” that cuts food stamp funding by about $800 million per year. These heartless cuts slash $90 in food stamp benefits per month from 850,000 families nationwide.

$90 per month may not seem like much, but for families that are struggling to pay their bills and put food on the table, this cut to the food stamp program is devastating.

Fortunately, a bipartisan group of governors in New York, Pennsylvania and Connecticut have found a way to reverse these devastating cuts by participating in a special “heat and eat” program, which leverages heating assistance payments into higher food stamp benefits.

By slightly increasing state funding for heating assistance to residents slated to lose part of their food stamp benefits, these governors have completely stopped the Republican food stamp cut from affecting residents in their states.

Michigan also participates in this “heat and eat” program. Now, with a single executive order, Governor Snyder can follow the lead of the governors of New York, Pennsylvania and Connecticut, and prevent thousands of Michigan residents from losing $90 each month in food stamp benefits.

With unemployment still unacceptably high and millions of families struggling to get by, we need to do everything in our power to stop the Republicans’ irresponsible attempts to slash our social safety net.

REFERENCES:

A huge problem we have in this country is "teaching a man to fish" coupled with helping that man access good food choices.  I had a government teacher in high school who talked about how hard it is to grow up in the inner-city, where we don't even have sidewalks, etc. for disadvantaged people to get around in a way that they can improve life for themselves and their kids.  A large segment of our society will continue to rely on "TV dinners," purchased from the local liquor store at twice the price of the grocery store five miles away. I recall this teacher talking about how there has been little to no effort to teach sustenance to poor folks.  I've heard all of the "get a job" rhetoric from the conservatives, but if you grow up in the inner-city, it isn't so simple.  I used to live near I-75 just outside of Flint.  Every morning, I'd see moms with a stroller in one hand and a baby in the other trying to get over the I-75 bridge where there are no sidewalks, either waking in traffic or trudging through three feet of snow. Maybe she made some bad choices, but at the end of the day it is what it is.  So do we really expect these moms to trudge through 3' of snow on a busy road, walking on the street because there isn't a sidewalk?  OR can we offer them a better solution.

This same teacher used to talk about how many/most disadvantaged people don't even have a measuring cup at home, let alone knowing how to use it.  Right know, I can swing by my local Aldi store and buy about 10 pounds of beans, 10 pounds of rice, a couple bags of potatoes, maybe some carrots and celery, and for about $40 have enough quality food to feed a family of four for a month.  Then, consider how these inner-city grocery stores are usually stocked with oppressively-priced fresh food and an abundance of low-quality boxed food that expired last year. 

I was lucky that, despite being raised in poverty, we had the simple basics - pots and pans, measuring cups, etc. So my folks knew how to feed the kids healthy foods on a budget.   But what do you do when you have none of that?  Well, you buy comparatively expensive frozen meals.  And you live in a rental home with no refrigerator or stove, so you rely on stuff (like frozen mac and cheese) that you can microwave.  It is a terrible cycle. 

yeah, but a family of four and 20 pounds of taters would be moving those beans quickly, still think its the potatoes in food that makes people over weight? I dunno really, but figured its got something to do with the pepsi packs lining the grocery cart rims barely supporting the crunchy bagged foodstuff and squashed frozen meals, saved by the Sexy Dieting Magazine from the rack. :gym:

rice beans and potatoes.   Boy that is healthy.... ;-)

Starch starch and more starch.  Just as well eat mac and cheese.

Get all them vitamins and nutrients.

I assume that is only white rice for that price,... no wild or long grain types, they are double or more cost wise.

And well,... 10lbs of taters do not go nearly as far as ya might think. 

Well good you might see more  food then i do           i get stamps

Bob, I can certainly understand your plight as I have been there before...and I hope by the grace of god never to go back...as I have been lucky....but my point was that if we can combine food subsidy along with food education than maybe we can help lift some disadvantaged people out of hunger....teach people not to spend $10 on microwave meals that feed the family today vs. teaching people how to use basic staples (beans, rice etc.) and spend that same $10 to feed the family for a week.  Some folks will spend $100/month on happy meals from McDonald's that offers little nutrition....but is is easy to spend 50 cents on a hamburger rather than spend a few bucks on fresh fruits and veggies. 

When I was in college, I depended on "Hot and Now"  I could get hamburgers and small fried for 25 cents each.  I loved it, but probably this fast food offered only minimal nutritional value. 

I don't mean this as an insult to anyone, but, really, food can be cheap if you know how to manage it well. 

So, Bob if you our yours would like a holiday meal, I'd love to bring you a Christmas stew...slow-cooked beef tips in carrots and celery and onions. 

I mean, I have lots of tips for surviving on disability and food stamps.  Bags of chicken parts, rice, frozen vegetables and yes beans and yes potatoes.  But even then, for most, it doesn't even cover those expenses.  I mean,.. salt can put you over budget.  Ya have to take packets from fast food places to get by.

I mean,... it isn't the first few months of not having money and being on food stamps that gets ya,.... its when everything is gone,.. ya never catch up.

10 bucks get ya nowhere anymore.

It all sounds good till the rubber hits the road and you are not eating a up to a dozen meals a week.

I see this problem more with single/couple elderly people, single disabled people. 

They actually give kids the same amount(or more) as they do for adults. So, with kids, you end up with way more in money and only a kid to feed. that helps balance out the low amount for an adult eater in that household.  But elderly and disabled is a bit different.

10 bucks get ya nowhere anymore.

It all sounds good till the rubber hits the road and you are not eating a up to a dozen meals a week.

I see this problem more with single/couple elderly people, single disabled people. 

They actually give kids the same amount(or more) as they do for adults. So, with kids, you end up with way more in money and only a kid to feed. that helps balance out the low amount for an adult eater in that household.  But elderly and disabled is a bit different.

I'm not saying that 10 bucks a month, or 50 bucks a month, or more will really get anyone anywhere.  I guess what I was trying to point out is that some of us are fortunate enough that we have the resources to figure out how to stretch that budget, where some don't/can't.  When my dad died, I inherited a few crock pots, measuring cups, and other cooking stuff.  Most poor people don't have even that much of a legacy.  That's the point I was trying to make. 

And maybe the secondary point is that I can teach others how to stretch a food budget.

And you are right highlander.  Serious help and food guidance is needed big time.  It would help,... but it still doesn't solve the problem. But it would help resolve 10-20% of the problem, in some ways.

Call me cheesy, but if I found a few folks who would be willing to try my soup/stew experiments every other week or so, I'd freekin' love to try to recipes and pass them on.  There's no reason for any person in this country to go hungry - Christmas time or not.  I'm not well-heeled, but I love to cook using cheap ingredients and would enjoy passing it on.

is there some guide book for stretching food dollars? i'd like to read it , maybe i'll doo some internet sniffing for one.

buy one bag of seed potatoes in spring, plant them in ground. harvest 100s of potatoes in the fall :)

do it over and over, sell potatoes at farm market. home grown potatoes!

i use regular potatoes from grocery store in my garden, although i should probably use seed potatoes instead.

btw i love soups and stews, i could eat them every day.

Ahh... me too.  But think of the story "stone soup."  My three neighbors plus two in-laws down the street bring me veggies, etc. and then I toss 'em in the big slow cooker.  For about $2 (not including meat if folks want it), we can make a family stew to feed 10 or more.  I love my crock pots.