The Ballast Blues

suneday11

Not taking sides on the mag vs. digi debate, but one important plus to throw in for the digitals is the ability to change your wattage.  When summer is rockin, I often need to turn down my 1000s to 750 or even 600 because of heat issues.  In winter I kick them up to the "super lumens" setting which is around 1150.  When I ran magnetics, I had to completely turn off one or more lights in the room.

Food for thought; Long cords. No need to have a ballast in the grow room. Put the ballast in the grow room when you need heat and take it out when it gets too hot. 

• 4 weeks later...

my digital has been eating hps bulbs, the 600 hps, it runs the 600 mh realy well,  I have been thinking of just going to the 400 wat for both, I grow in tents and even in rooms I never keep my ballast in the room, always out side the room!

Peace

Reckon I've ben lucky so far, the only issue my Solistek 1k seems to have is it's lack of want to play nice with any other sort of timer (has a pre-built in timer of some variety so it just does not like to work when it's put on a line that has a timer)- I've since switched to mag ballasts and short of the sound, couldn't be happier. 

Reckon I've ben lucky so far, the only issue my Solistek 1k seems to have is it's lack of want to play nice with any other sort of timer (has a pre-built in timer of some variety so it just does not like to work when it's put on a line that has a timer)- I've since switched to mag ballasts and short of the sound, couldn't be happier. 

I have two of these on external timers.   It has been several months since I put them in service, but I am thinking there may be a "manual operation" setting that you need to set the timer to.

• 1 month later...

I used some calculator to figure out how much power I wanted to provide in an outage. The grow room doesn't suffer a bit, with heat or ac and the other equip full on. but the house could use a little more I think. The gen has a digital/removable/gang display to bring into your home for monitoring the generator. It reminds of oil changes and other maintenance, counts hours, and lets you know in real time the amount of power being used to relative to the amount the generator can produce. I'll sell one or both after I get that whole house one. the whole house ones are expensive. I've never heard of someone regretting the purchase though. If I hit the lotto I'll hook you up bro!

at least you have your priorites straight!   lol