I Think I Have It Figured Out!

This whole marijuana debate/fuss/war is nothing more than a tussle between Conservatives and Liberals. Conservatives believe that Liberalism is a mental illness. They highly (no pun intended) suspect that marijuana is a major contributing factor to the mental illness known as Liberalism. They are unable to enunciate their true beliefs about marijuana because they fear (rightly I believe) that they will be mocked and made to look silly.

It isnt just a dem repub thing its MONEY!  They cant control it, no matter how hard they try it cant be controled, the big pharmacy's are running scared and if they dont get their share the politicians dont get their share!

They are raising the price of generics, they changed the way you can get vicodens (the leading killer of all drugs legal or ilegal)  I guess the tax they could get from mmj is not more than what the big pharms pay them!

Peace

I'm guessing when/if the government decides to allow mj use some will demand accountability for decades of oppression, unnecessary dis-ease, deceit, imprisonment, drug war follies, etc. This may be a hard scenario for an unstable govern-mental body to manage.

When they allow use? They are already allowing use in Colorado, Washington, and 20 or so medical marijuana states. I can't wait to see if Congress gives the OK to Washington, D.C. to go ahead with their legalization program. If they do (which I see as 50/50 at this point) it will create a serious moment of hypocrisy exposure for Congress.

When they allow use? They are already allowing use in Colorado, Washington, and 20 or so medical marijuana states. I can't wait to see if Congress gives the OK to Washington, D.C. to go ahead with their legalization program. If they do (which I see as 50/50 at this point) it will create a serious moment of hypocrisy exposure for Congress.

How does the feds have any say on legal mj in d.c?  If they controled d.c they wouldnt have a mayor and city consel, the city of d.c is not run by the gov, it is run like any other city in america!

Peace

Actually conservatives consider liberal progressives to be un-educated,lazy people that think everybody owes them something,and are completely intolerant of anyone elses views. All you had to do is ask. And yes it IS a disease.

To be fair, there are an awful lot of uneducated, lazy conservatives who are intolerant of anyone else's  views ( I am thinking of the Southern and Midwest Republicans) and there are a lot of well educated, hard working liberal progressives (Northeast and West Coast Democrats). Both factions have their fair share of mentally ill fanatics.

How does the feds have any say on legal mj in d.c?  If they controled d.c they wouldnt have a mayor and city consel, the city of d.c is not run by the gov, it is run like any other city in america!

Peace

Washington D.C. is run by Congress. D.C. had a heck of a time to even get a representative (Eleanor Holmes Norton currently). They had to go to court to be allowed to elect someone to represent them in the House of Representatives. I think it went to the Supreme Court under the "No taxation w/o Representation" clause of the constitution. Anything that happens in D.C. has to get the stamp of approval from the U.S. Congress. They have to approve the vote for marijuana legalization.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2014/11/14/why-congress-probably-wont-block-marijuana-legalization-in-washington-d-c/

Why Congress Probably Won't Block Marijuana Legalization In Washington, D.C.

At a press conference yesterday, Eleanor Holmes Norton, the District of Columbia’s congressional delegate, urged her colleagues to respect the will of the voters who overwhelmingly approved marijuana legalization in the nation’s capital last week. She was joined by three congressmen, including Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.), who said trying to block legalization in D.C. or in Alaska and Oregon, where voters also said no to marijuana prohibition last week, would flout “fundamental principles” that “Republicans have always talked about,” including “individual liberties,” “limited government,” and “states’ rights and the 10th Amendment.”

Norton noted that “we’ve had a threat to try to overturn our legalization initiative.” She was referring to Rep. Andy Harris (R-Md.), who after the D.C. vote told The Washington Post, “I will consider using all resources available to a member of Congress to stop this action.” Although there is no doubting Harris’s sincerity, those resources probably will prove inadequate.

eleanor-holmes-norton1.jpg

Eleanor Holmes Norton (Image: Comedy Central)

Initiative 71, which passed by a margin of more than 2 to 1, allows adults 21 or older to possess two ounces or less of marijuana, grow up to six plants at home, and transfer up to an ounce at a time to other adults “without remuneration.” It does not authorize commercial production or distribution, although the District of Columbia Council is considering legislation that would. “I see no reason why we wouldn’t follow a regime similar to how we regulate and tax alcohol,” incoming Mayor Muriel Bowser said at a press conference after the election.

In theory, there are a couple of ways that Congress could try to stop all this from happening. It could pass a joint resolution disapproving Initiative 71, or it could bar the District from spending money to implement the measure. But neither of these approaches looks very promising.

Initiative 71 cannot take effect until after D.C. Council Chairman Phil Mendelson submits it to Congress for review, which he is expected to do when the new Congress is seated in January. “I will treat Initiative 71 in the same manner as I would any measure passed by the Council and transmit it to Congress without delay,” he said last week. Although Mayor-elect Bowser indicated that she would like to wait until the D.C. Council has approved legislation authorizing the licensing of commercial growers and retailers, the timing is up to Mendelson.

Once Mendelson submits the initiative, Congress has 30 legislative days to pass a resolution overriding it. If a resolution is not enacted by the end of that period, the initiative automatically becomes law. Getting a bill through both chambers in that amount of time will be a challenge, even with Republicans taking control of the Senate and expanding their majority in the House. And that’s assuming Republicans—who, as Rohrabacher noted, often talk about the virtues of federalism and local control—think nullifying a policy endorsed by 69 percent of D.C. voters should be one of their first acts in the new Congress.

“I think a resolution of disapproval is unlikely,” says Bill Piper, director of national affairs at the Drug Policy Alliance. “Overturning a ballot measure passed by 70 percent of the voters doesn’t really look good for the incoming Republican Congress. If the council transmits [the initiative] in January, I think that pretty much reduces or eliminates the chance that Congress will overturn it outright. It just doesn’t fit with what they’re talking about doing, which is rebranding themselves as not being obstructionists.”

dana-rohrabacher-cropped-big1.jpg

Dana Rohrabacher (Image: Office of Dana Rohrabacher)

Nikolas Schiller, communications director at the D.C. Cannabis Campaign, which backed Initiative 71, agrees that Republicans will not be eager to nix it. “We believe that a new Republican Congress will not interfere with something that deals solely with personal liberties,” he says.

Liberal progressives and classic liberalism(libertarian leaning) are actually the highest educated of the categories.

Conservative democrats and disaffected democrats tend to be lower educated(inner city, Midwest/southern religious whites)

I would say religion and social intolerance are better factors to figure out that conundrum.

I think some of the problem is that people think

conservative=republicans

Liberal= democrats

Which isn't true.

Inner city black populations are actually very socially conservative when lining up ideology.  Whereas Libertarian leaning republicans and college/post graduate republicans are more socially liberal.

I have never seen conservative/liberal as a good basis for comparison.

The government(federal government) continues the ridiculous scheduling of cannabis, the imprisonment of citizens for its use/cultivation, and property forfeiture for cannabis "crimes" . State governments are not "blessed" by the feds on the matter yet, maybe for reasons I mentioned. hope that clarifies my posting