Feds Propose Taxing Marijuana, True Cash Crop

bobandtorey

With all the upheaval in Washington, it isn’t likely that federal proposals to tax marijuana will pass anytime soon. Yet as Professor Paul Caron catalogs, economists are looking anew at the proposed Marijuana Tax Equity Act (H.R. 501). It would end the federal prohibition on marijuana and allow it to be taxed. Growers, sellers and users would not to fear violating federal law. But dealing with taxes would be another story.

The bill would impose an excise tax of 50% on cannabis sales and an annual occupational tax on workers in the growing field of legal marijuana. Is that a good trade-off? Federal Proposals to Tax Marijuana: An Economic Analysis by Jane G. Gravelle & Sean Lowry focuses on potential federal marijuana taxes. The authors present justifications for taxes and they estimate levels of tax. They consider possible marijuana tax designs, as well as tax administration and enforcement issues such as labeling and tracking.

Of course, statistics can be deceptive. When Colorado legalized recreational use, it trumpeted the tax revenue it knew would be piling in. There’s a 2.9% sales tax and a 10% marijuana sales tax. Plus, there is a 15% excise tax on the average market rate of retail marijuana. If you add them up, it’s 27.9%.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2014/12/10/feds-propose-taxing-marijuana-true-cash-crop/

Edited by bobandtorey

50% would be fine.

ending the prohibition is the key phrase. keep your eyes on the prize.

dont worry about the numbers.

when marijuana is no longer illegal, you can grow it your self in your garden, no state laws will touch you.

people scared of taxes? you've been paying taxes your whole life, dont be a chump now.

what? you think you're too good for taxes or something?

ENDING the war. ending the incarceration. ending the racist profiling, ending the swat raids.

all you gotta do is pay some taxes, just like you do at mcdonalds and the liquor store.

i'll take that any day of the week over some justice dept memos, judges lecturing people on marijuana, probation officers, forced rehab, boot camps, cops shooting people over a joint, cops shooting children with flash grenades because there might be marijuana somewhere.

end the madness, end the war, tax it. we must end the war at any cost.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-Act-58-of-1998 thats a hell of a lot of words to comprehend. maybe i'll call the mich liquor control board and ask them what kind of license is required.

http://www.ttb.gov/faqs/genalcohol.shtml

Spirits

You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [see 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] There are numerous requirements that must be met that make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are paying excise tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.

Spirits may be produced for non-beverage purposes for fuel use only without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive TTB's approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use, records and reports.

imo, tax and regulate is what legalization means.

50% tax is extortion though.

That's what the Feds are very good at . Making things that are illegal for the population , IE; extorsion , theft , lying , murder etc. and making it legal for themselves and their chronies through forfeiture , treatment , CPS and a host of others , as part of their job description . 

Edited by knucklehead bob

I still want to know what is wrong with letting the government handle the whole shooting match from growing to sales and let them keep all the profits. Home grows could be their competition to keep prices low and quality high.

I am thinking that they could do alright for themselves at $80-100 an ounce. They also have the resources to get things up and running toot sweet.

I still want to know what is wrong with letting the government handle the whole shooting match from growing to sales and let them keep all the profits. Home grows could be their competition to keep prices low and quality high.

I am thinking that they could do alright for themselves at $80-100 an ounce. They also have the resources to get things up and running toot sweet.

Ask the Canadians how they liked Health Canada and Prairie Plant Systems.

Yeah not to mention the herb was all irradiated to kill off any possible organisms.  The thought of using a plant thats been nuked is really gross.  Not to mention a lot of people are convinced that eating live plants is the best way to stay healthy.  Microorganisms are everywhere, having no immuminty makes a person more prone to infection, when they finally run accross them.  I'd imagine it negatively effects the taste and smell as well.

ah yeah the mich liquor board said it was illegal federally. they wouldnt give me any license. the chumps.

From home, or anywhere?

I feel like this video alone is worthy of a post, and anyone out there in support of irradiating cannabis should look into the building blocks of life itself. Combine the info here with the fact that anything that can harm you will be visually present, in any sample, and testing seems like an expensive, and moon point, as well.

Edited by slipstar059