Any Private Pilots On The Forum?

Looking to see if there are any PPL holders on the forum, I've been looking into possibly working on obtaining mine here in MI: Any info would be good as google can be a confusing slew of a beast, and very misleading at that. I figure that I like jumping out of planes, so I think I'd like to learn to fly one too.

I have the T.P.M. Ground School, and T.P.M. Flight School books already. =)

And what a sheety thing to do ,huh? THEN DON'T DO THINGS LIKE THAT to people. Cover up for them so they can do it again? Wow,what wonderful principles you have. If you want to mess with people,you better remember it WILL come back to you. The TRUTH always scares liars. :butt2:

Big difference between covering up for someone and putting their name in a public pot forum.

It makes you come off as a petty and vindictive person.

BULLSHEET. I did you posters a FAVOR by letting you know this.You can bite me,I wood. Is that your outlook,just let people walk into something that YOU KNOW is wrong? Seems like the liars club would love to have you. You think just because you DON'T mention something,that makes it NOT A LIE? Yeah good reasoning.  Raise your kids that way too? Liars are COWARDS. And LECTURED by people that obviously and purposely cover who they really are?  People like that always turn on "friends" when it's their own butts. Boy you don't mind posting cops names,or judges,or republican politicians. That's okay,right? Go look in the mirror and lecture yourself. At least I am not a liar. And I am proud of that fact. Zap took it down. I didn't do ANYTHING illegal. And if you would cover for someone that you know is illegal,then you are part of the crime. Free speech until YOU don't agree? Who died and made you King?

BULLSHEET. I did you posters a FAVOR by letting you know this.You can bite me,I wood. Is that your outlook,just let people walk into something that YOU KNOW is wrong? Seems like the liars club would love to have you. You think just because you DON'T mention something,that makes it NOT A LIE? Yeah good reasoning.  Raise your kids that way too? Liars are COWARDS. And LECTURED by people that obviously and purposely cover who they really are?  People like that always turn on "friends" when it's their own butts. Boy you don't mind posting cops names,or judges,or republican politicians. That's okay,right? Go look in the mirror and lecture yourself. At least I am not a liar. And I am proud of that fact. Zap took it down. I didn't do ANYTHING illegal. And if you would cover for someone that you know is illegal,then you are part of the crime. Free speech until YOU don't agree? Who died and made you King?

???????

I hope you get the help you need, you are a delusional...again.

There's nothing in the FARs that would prevent a CG from being a pilot. You'll need a 3rd class medical though, so no substance abuse in the last 2 years. No tinkle test involved. Just gotta check the right box on the form.

Where do you jump? I know a few other skydiver/growers in MI.

This goes back a long time but was told I couldn't get a license while an mmj patient... because of testing positive. A buddy of mine that flew helicopters commercially expressed this to me, but I never delved any further. So... one can get a private license w/o testing? Intrigued...

• 5 months later...

Any private pilots out there. Yes, With 36 years of flying experience I have only encountered four other pilots who do.

Marijuana is not a common topic that is discussed around the hanger. Most talk is about the weather because it is the biggest problem when flying. If you are not intending to go commercial and fly for hire should be no problem.

It is not a crime to be a CG/Patient.

My son is a private pilot. I'd love to learn but seventy seems a bit old. He does let me ride with him now and then. The view is incredible.

Based on his experiences you might want to start out with light sport tail draggers like a J3 Cub or Aeronca Champ. Taildraggers teach you to use your feet and penalize you if you don't.

Light Sport licenses do not require a third class physical and the cost-per-hour for the plane and instructor tend to be less. You might check out Ohio Light Sport near Columbus, Ohio (Centerville I think). He advertises the cheapest rates we saw.

Any 'drug' conviction history will be a bother but holding a CG/Pt Card should be no hinderance. Don't ask, don't tell and all should be well.

Airport guys may tend to be pretty conservative. Many are small construction type folks. Others are motor heads. Hang out at your local airport and you'll hear casual talk that would have 'ol Malamute foaming at the mouth.

If nothing else, try a discovery ride. That's how my son got started. He was small for his age with older parents when we happened by an old grass strip with a tattered banner hawking discovery rides. I jokingly suggested he should try flying never thinking he be interested, let alone eager. The next thing I knew we were out fifty bucks and my then fourteen-year-old wimpy kid was climbing into the front seat of a tattered old fabric and wood Champ that looked worse than then advertising banner. After that he never looked back. Hanging around our local airport he was soon 'adopted' by a retired navy guy who taught him to fly and only asked for an occasional Philly-cheesesteak as payment.

It is not a crime to be a CG/Pt.

Edited by outsideinthecold

It is not a crime to be a CG/Patient.

My son is a private pilot. I'd love to learn but seventy seems a bit old. He does let me ride with him now and then. The view is incredible.

Based on his experiences you might want to start out with light sport tail draggers like a J3 Cub or Aeronca Champ. Taildraggers teach you to use your feet and penalize you if you don't.

Light Sport licenses do not require a third class physical and the cost-per-hour for the plane and instructor tend to be less. You might check out Ohio Light Sport near Columbus, Ohio (Centerville I think). He advertises the cheapest rates we saw.

Any 'drug' conviction history will be a bother but holding a CG/Pt Card should be no hinderance. Don't ask, don't tell and all should be well.

Airport guys may tend to be pretty conservative. Many are small construction type folks. Others are motor heads. Hang out at your local airport and you'll hear casual talk that would have 'ol Malamute foaming at the mouth.

If nothing else, try a discovery ride. That's how my son got started. He was small for his age with older parents when we happened by an old grass strip with a tattered banner hawking discovery rides. I jokingly suggested he should try flying never thinking he be interested, let alone eager. The next thing I knew we were out fifty bucks and my then fourteen-year-old wimpy kid was climbing into the front seat of a tattered old fabric and wood Champ that looked worse than then advertising banner. After that he never looked back. Hanging around our local airport he was soon 'adopted' by a retired navy guy who taught him to fly and only asked for an occasional Philly-cheesesteak as payment.

It is not a crime to be a CG/Pt.

Oh man....tail draggers...big wings....scary. .my father-in-law is one of those old guys who got a private pilots' license just after WWII. I've flown with him a few times, and he let me take the stick here and there. Once, he let me try to land the plane at Dalton airport in Flushing. We were in an old T-craft- The club plane. I came in low and slow and circled the airport about three times before I was ready to land....Approaching the runway, there seemed to be not only a strong crosswind but also a thermal updraft. With those big wings, the plane was all over the place. I handed the stick over to the old man, and he landed flawlessly.

He was good friends with Jerry Zerby. (If you knew/remember him). About 15 years ago my father in law bought a KitFox that sunk in Lake Fenton. He spent many hours getting the plane ready to fly. Jerry Zerby jumped in that little plane and flew it out of Dalton airport and circled around the airport, opening the door and yelling down us. He was having so much fun in that little home-built plane.

Sadly, jerry died in a plane crash when he was going to fly on a routine flight from flushing to Owossow. Jerry crashed just east of Dalton airport. From what I recall, Jerry's brother flew around the area and then found his brothers' crash site. Sad....