Lights

YesMichigan

If anybody would like to share their light specs and rationale I would greatly appreciate the conversation. I am researching LED just because I like new technologies but I have committed to nothing as I await LARA to help me comply with the MMMA.

General space size, wattage, how many plants under a bulb, what type of bulb, do you use different bulbs for different strains or use combo bulbs?

I got to thinking about it from Grassmatch's post in other thread about holding 30 plants in veg and wondering what lights and how that room looks.

Be safe.

A friend uses LED and suggested buying American made and paying the extra money ($1000). Electric costs were down 1/3 also. He seems to think it is money well spent. I use 600 watt with enclosed reflectors for flowering. Use 4' T-8 (6 bulb) for veg and veg for 8 weeks, plants are usually 24" tall. Experimented with defoliation and netting on top, but got spider mites and had to remove netting to get to plant. Use 4' x 4' tents so 1000 watt is just too hot, have enough problem with heat from the 600's.

A friend uses LED and suggested buying American made and paying the extra money ($1000). Electric costs were down 1/3 also. He seems to think it is money well spent. I use 600 watt with enclosed reflectors for flowering. Use 4' T-8 (6 bulb) for veg and veg for 8 weeks, plants are usually 24" tall. Experimented with defoliation and netting on top, but got spider mites and had to remove netting to get to plant. Use 4' x 4' tents so 1000 watt is just too hot, have enough problem with heat from the 600's.

May I ask how many strains you work with? 4' x 4' tents was the approach I was contemplating. Another reason I thought LED for heat reduction as well as electricity.

When I used a 4x4 tent I had 4 plants which went perfect since at the time I was growing only for me so I would have 4 in flower 4 in veg and when it came time to clone I could have 4 clones waiting to be rooted and still stay within my plant count usually under most of the time except when I was cloning then id have all my 12

as I await LARA to help me comply with the MMMA.

btw LARA wont give legal advice, so if you asked them a complicated question, you probably will get the standard 'we cannot advise legal questions' answer. consider calling them on monday too if you've been waiting a week or more for email response.

May I ask how many strains you work with? 4' x 4' tents was the approach I was contemplating. Another reason I thought LED for heat reduction as well as electricity.

Kept a couple of mother plants most times. Usually had 2 or 3 strains. 4 plants was max in the 4' x 4' tent, even flowered 2 at times (preferred way). Ran 8 clones at a time in bucket and was usually too many for the set up. Prefer using two tents and harvesting monthly. Helps to keep amounts within limits.

btw LARA wont give legal advice, so if you asked them a complicated question, you probably will get the standard 'we cannot advise legal questions' answer. consider calling them on monday too if you've been waiting a week or more for email response.

No questions, just waiting for the card. Just me wording things in my normal unusual way.

I like the setup and electricity usage. Seems the initial cost is offset by the long-term reduction in energy consumption.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I was 50/50 LED or HPS before checking out some of the threads here and elsewhere. As I don't anticipate signing up any patients and would like to have three strains without the associated heat and electricity costs I'm pretty well sold on the long term benefits and discretion of LED.

Anyone have the "darn I wish I had done..." story with their LED setup before I start putting an acquisition list together?

i dont have any led experience. tried to buy some at hte grow shop when i first started and they said they didnt like LED so they didnt stock any.

oh well.

So your advice is that I should use the MH or HPS because your local light store didn't like them or carry them? You would limit your future options because some dudes who didn't like products that they didn't stock?

Not flipping you crap at all. I dig, I look around all the time and see decisions I made based on situation and not what I was actually seeking. I've been close to a MH or HPS but I think that is the ease and the comfort I will get from a larger knowledge base. You my boy and I value your input on this. Thank you for fully explaining your position and experience.

Thank you Dlo! It seems like everyday I look I find a new product line. The LED industry is working to eliminate the need for the red bulb - I think I will keep dragging my feet for a few weeks to see who is going to be releasing what. I'll update my list of LED manufacturers here if other people want to track or add to it. I found the perfect space. It is small but I think the reduced heat of LED will be of major benefit in it.

Edited by YesMichigan

i recommended hps/mh because they are tried and tested and cheap.

did you do the math on what an LED will cost vs a HPS? i'm curious of the savings.

For sure, and pert near everyone I talk to suggests for the same reason and logic. VERY sound logic I agree - I'm one of the smartest dumb people I know though so I wind up on some strange paths at times.

I have done some basic math just at a wattage use level between HPS and LED and calculated what I think is around $50 a month but I don't know what factor reduction in AC will further provide and if that be offset by humidification concerns. Some questions I'll need to explore. I do know of a testbed case currently using nothing but LED and a 100% organic process. Will likely wait a few more weeks and see how that progresses.