Non-Regulated, Edible Marijuana Sending Increasing Number Of People To Emergency Room

bobandtorey

SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) — Doctors say they are seeing a jump in the number of people seeking help at emergency rooms after eating too much marijuana.

LISTEN:

t’s easy to eat too much marijuana when it’s in edible form as one woman, who bought a pack of gummy bears at medical marijuana dispensary, told me.

“An ear (to eat) to start, and that would have made a little more sense,” she said.

But how much did she ingest?

“The whole gummy bear,” she said, “your immediate reaction is I’m dizzy, I’m just going to sit on the couch and then you end up falling asleep.”

She was lucky that was all that happened. In Colorado, where it’s legal for anyone to take pot, emergency room visits from marijuana are up—almost all from legal edibles.

It’s legal in California, if you are approved to take it medically, and doctors in Bay Area are starting to see the downside of edibles, too.

“It’s an interesting phenomena that is hitting our emergency rooms,” San Mateo Police Chief Sue Mannheimer said. “There’s no way to know the content of the THC, nor what the other additives are and clearly they are not done in the auspices of public health or standards for restaurant production,” San Mateo Police Chief Sue Mannheimer said.

That’s true. I found that out personally when I had my medicine tested at Steep Hill Labs in Oakland. A near death illness last year—bacteria in my aorta—caused my doctors to prescribe medical marijuana among other pain medication.

They told me at the lab that I don’t know what I’m getting because there are no standards. The Food and Drug Administration won’t get involved marijuana is illegal under federal law and emergency rooms are seeing the affects.

“I can tell you anecdotally that we’re seeing it, particularly because kids and teenagers are ingesting it,” Mannheimer said.

It’s all anecdotal because no such records are kept.

“One of my biggest concerns about legalization in California, is the reason we put together this task force, is the edible concern” Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, who is a strong backer of legalized marijuana, said. 

Newsom said he’s aware of the upswing in emergency room visitx.

“The whole area is a point of legitimate concern. Those that are promoting, as I am, a different approach to the drug policy, need to be very, very honest about the edible issue,” he said.

Edible makers contacted for this story said it’s up to the individual to make sure they take a responsible amount—even if testing for strength has not yet been standardized.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/01/05/non-regulated-edible-marijuana-sending-increasing-number-of-people-to-the-emergency-room/

They may go to the emergency room, but how many have been seriously adversely affected by their marijuana "overdose"? Let's hear some "anecdotal" evidence on this.

I still think that this is just the latest avenue of attack for those affected by cannaphobia*. They have been known to blow things way out of proportion.

* Cannaphobia: the irrational fear of marijuana.

thats why they asked the cop opinion and not the doctor.

just more fear uncertainty and doubt aka FUD article.

oh no, what will happen!? will they jump out of the window?? reefer madness!

its not like the hospital can help the intoxicated people out. once the edible is in the bloodstream they cant filter the blood.

nor is there any secret antedote to stop a marijuana high. at least none i'm aware of.

just put them in a quiet room and let them sleep it off haha. oh wait heres your $10,000 ER visit bill. thanks for coming in. colorado and washington residents should start petitioning the government to put a stop to hospitals wasting time and resources on "marijuana drunks".

Edited by t-pain

thats why they asked the cop opinion and not the doctor.

just more fear uncertainty and doubt aka FUD article.

oh no, what will happen!? will they jump out of the window?? reefer madness!

its not like the hospital can help the intoxicated people out. once the edible is in the bloodstream they cant filter the blood.

nor is there any secret antedote to stop a marijuana high. at least none i'm aware of.

just put them in a quiet room and let them sleep it off haha. oh wait heres your $10,000 ER visit bill. thanks for coming in. colorado and washington residents should start petitioning the government to put a stop to hospitals wasting time and resources on "marijuana drunks".

Yup. Tell them "Sorry stupid. You were warned." Then send them on their way. They may experience "ego death", but so far no one has has experienced physical harm.

I have always suggested that people know who made the edible they consumed. This makes is so easy to ask what and how much is in it. Better yet, make your own. You know not to pig out on Vicodin,  you should know not to pig out on medical edibles.

I agree with every thing you said, but addicts do not know when to stop on the vic's/opoids they are addicted!

Im not going to blame my dr. when I do to much of my rx's nor am I gonna blame some one else if I choose to do to much oil, mm, tincture, vape, I have watched people get to buzzed the 1st time they vape bawahahahahahaha!  they actualy have gotten sick lol!

I will take credit for the above lol!

I have taken to much of the oil and brownies,,,but I know what to expect and that isnt an emergence room visit lol!

The 1st time I ate mm brownies I didnt feel it in like an hr and a half, so I ate another lol!  It hit me like right after I ate the 2nd one lol, so now I know what to expect.

remember that cop who made brownies for him and his ole lady?  didnt they go to the emeregence room?  I know there was a youtube video and it was funny as hell!

Yea I would love to see what the emergence rooms do with these so called mm overdoses!  I want to see all of the cases that went to the hospital for too much mm,,,,im betting they all went home either the next morning or that evening!

Peace

yup I agree lmfao!

Peace