Colorado: Nov. Med Sales Tanked Retail Numbers Held Strong

YesMichigan

http://www.thecannabist.co/2015/01/09/colorado-pot-taxes-nov-medical-sales-tanked-retail-numbers-held-strong/26994/#disqus_thread

Colorado’s legal cannabis industry experienced an unusual autumn in 2014 — one that saw recreational pot sales reach a plateau of sorts as demand for medical marijuana took a nosedive.

Medical marijuana sales in Colorado tanked in November as they dropped nearly 17 percent from the previous month, according to just-released data from the Department of Revenue. Medical dispensaries sold $27.5 million of cannabis in November, a big downturn from October’s $33.1 million in medical revenues. Meanwhile the state’s recreational weed sales are holding strong — with $31.2 million in November and $31.6 million in both October and September.

A number of cannabis industry professionals scratched their heads at the November numbers, unsure what to make of medical pot’s noteworthy downturn.

As 2014 marked the first regulated marijuana sales in the modern world, the year’s data on Colorado cannabis is as educational as it is mysterious. The amount of recreational taxes and sales mostly increased month over month, given the new shops opening in the state. But we also saw the shine wearing off as the year progressed; Recreational sales numbers have been nearly identical for the last three months of collected data, September through November.

The medical market has been, for the most part, steady — with these new November sales statistics showing medical pot’s lowest numbers of 2014.

But we also learned that pot, like Colorado tourism, also has its high and low seasons. The biggest month for recreational marijuana in Colorado: Dead-of-summer August, when the state sold $34.1 million of green. Industry experts expect recreational marijuana sales to pick up significantly as the ski resorts get their bases, and tourism, built up in January and February.

But the sales are only part of the story. From Jan. 1-Nov. 30, Colorado brought in more than $67.5 million in taxes, licenses and fees via recreational and medical cannabis.

the tourism thing is still sorting itself out.

probably they need to make smoking in public legal.

once you get your marijuana, where do you smoke it? think about it for a second. you cant smoke in your hotel room, ski lodge, rental car, or out in the public. not at a bar, mcdonalds, library, walmart.

if you are a tourist, where do you smoke?

yeah theres a few 420 buses and lodges and hotel rooms and bars. not enough.

its 'legal' but tourists cant smoke it anywhere.

well I dont realy know what it takes to be a pt in CO but if it is like here, why would anyone be a pt when they can get it legaly w/o paying the state for a card, plus the dr to cert you, I wouldnt renew If I could grow a certain amount in my home and be able to get some if Im waiting in between crop times,

But like I said Im not sure how colorado works as far as a pt or just a legal user.

I dont live in CO so I dont realy care what their law is lol!

Peace

well I dont realy know what it takes to be a pt in CO but if it is like here, why would anyone be a pt when they can get it legaly w/o paying the state for a card, plus the dr to cert you, I wouldnt renew If I could grow a certain amount in my home and be able to get some if Im waiting in between crop times,

But like I said Im not sure how colorado works as far as a pt or just a legal user.

I dont live in CO so I dont realy care what their law is lol!

Peace

Well you are in the "other medical marijuana states" area so you care a little....hehe

Colorado is the test bed for legalization. It is the state between the two that I think people on this forum prefer because they haven't changed their home growing rules. Medical marijuana didn't drop as expected because the taxes placed on retail marijuana made it preferable for people to maintain their medical cards and continue to purchase through their traditional caregivers as opposed to the new businesses.

UNLESS... the law preserves grow rights for personal use. Which doesn't seem unreasonable.

This is like one of those jokes where it starts out; Two guys walk into a bar and sit down.....   only this one we are the butt of the joke. 

Because those two guys are a dispensary owner and a cop, they run this show. Neither one wants to 'preserve' anything for us home growers. Why would they? By accident? I doubt it but you could pray for that. Even if they made a terrible mistake they would just do it over to kill the grows because it makes life so much nicer for them to do that. They even said they are wanting to kill home grows. So why not just take them at their word? Is that reasonable?