Malamute Finally Getting More Malamutes

These are what are considered giants(over 100lbs),... to me, they are the standard. :-)

My last male was between 150 and 160 throughout his life. Our female was around 115 to 120.

AKC standards have required Mal's to become smaller and smaller.  Sometimes I think AKC standards are detrimental to the breed. I would say look at breeds like german shephards and Labradors from 60 years ago until now to get an idea of what they have done. 

But yea,... "real" malamutes, imho, are these big guys from the M'Loot line.

During the 1930s there were two major Alaskan Malamute Kennels in the United States.

One, was Kotzebue owned by Eva B Seeley and her husband. They inherited some dogs when they took over Arthur Walden's Chinook Kennels while he was in Antarctica. They bought some from Frank Gough and Lester Corliss, Alaskan Malamute breeders in Alaska and they inherited some of the Labrador Huskies (including Rowdy - the first dog AKC registered as an Alaskan Malamute) from Admiral Byrd's first Antarctica Expedition (BAE I). Labrador Huskies were Canadian Eskimo Dogs from the Labrador region of Canada - similar to Alaskan Malamutes, but smaller. They also bought some malamutes from Leonhard Seppala when he decided to strictly race Siberian Huskies. Seeley bred to a standard she admired, smaller and gray/white. She got the breed recognized by the AKC. Over the years, the standard was revised upwards from the 23" dogs she preferred.

The other major kennel was M'Loot, owned by Paul Voelker. Voelker acquired Malamutes for his M'Loot Kennels from many sources. He traveled to Alaska and brought dogs back; traveled coast-to-coast acquiring Malamutes he liked; acquired dogs from teams sold to Hollywood for use in movies; acquired dogs from the army at Camp Rimini, Montana (including Dude's Wolf and Dodge's Lou found at the back of many malamute pedigrees). He accepted a wide range of breeding dogs and with saavy marketing put them in homes across the U.S. and Canada. The M'Loot dogs worked on sled teams and served with distinction in the military. A driver on the second Serum Run, used four M'Loot dogs on his team.

Voelker was an experienced sleddog driver. His Malamutes' ranged in colors, not confined to grey & white. His M'Loots were also heavier and taller and rangier than the smaller & more compact Kotzebue Malamutes. His male Malamutes reportedly averaged 130 lbs. Gentleman Jim, a M'Loot, served in World War II and is in the Hall of Working Fame.
Several kennels formed around M'Loot dogs, using them as foundation stock for their breeding programs.

Heres a great picture:

post-31484-0-93145100-1422017764_thumb.jpg

Heres what one breeder has to say about the Kotzebue line crossing with huskies and preferential breeding for small Malamutts(she says it better than me):

(breeders name) Giant Alaskan Malamutes are pure-bred descendants of the pure M'loot type of Malamute that lived with the ancient Inuit peoples in the high Arctic, hundreds of years ago.

The Inuit's giant 'sled dogs' were as tall as 35" and weighed over 190lbs. These giant Malamutes were known to be the largest and strongest sled pullers and pack animals. It should be noted that their service did not effect them maintaining the most sweet and loving disposition.

They served their beloved Eskimo owners by providing protection from Polar bears and pulling heavy sleds thousands of miles while enduring 70 degree below zero blizzards. These giant Malamutes sometimes stayed in the igloos to care for the little children and ultimately made the difference between life and death for their masters in the most harsh and severe of all habitats.

(breeders name) has devoted over 53 years of her life to the preservation of these magnificent, affectionate and hard working giants of the north. While continually living up to a high set of personal values, Marlene has played a key role in saving the Malamutes from extinction that would be caused by breeding habits that are focused on either ignorance or human whimsy. Many of today's dog breeds are of inferior size and quality, not to mention very badly tempered, serving a very sad replica of their original stature and abilities due to human ignorance in the genetic repercussions of improper breeding habits. It is a tragedy that these smaller, poorly tempered Malamutes are being passed off as an ideal standard Alaskan malamute because the Alaskan malamute is supposed to be the biggest of the working sled dogs in the Arctic.

Alaskan malamutes are working dogs in the same context as a draft horse is a working horse. These huge horses (about 1000 lbs. larger than a saddle horse) pulled the covered wagons across America and plowed the fields of the pioneers. Anyone heard to ridicule the owners of draft horses by saying the horse was too big would be considered insane due to the amount of work required by the pioneers to merely survive.

The Malamutes were bred to pull the biggest loads over the farthest distance. The Eskimos learned it was better to have one huge dog that could do the work of 3 smaller ones. It was this knowledge that led the Eskimos to practice some of the best breeding practices on earth.

They needed such a huge dog to survive and they practiced the best selective breeding program of any place on earth. If the dog did not have the perfect, ideal coat, legs, feet, body, and temperament, he could not survive such a harsh environment. It seems ludicrous that some so-called breeders want to change this supreme, pristine Giant Alaskan Malamute into a tiny, prancing fluff-ball that trips around the show ring and exhibits only the presence of air between the ears instead of a brain!

(breeders name) Giant Alaskan malamutes are never in-bred, resulting in a one-of-a-kind true example of the genetically pure M'loot type of Malamute. This is evidenced of their intelligence, devotion, and loving dispositions typical of their ancestor's Artic Heritage. (breeders name) Giant Alaskan malamutes adore children and are the best of family dogs. They have a playful personality and want nothing more than to please and spend time with you, their pack leader. As such, they rely on you for instructions and discipline. You can count on a (breeders name) Giant Alaskan malamute to bring so much joy, love and devotion into your life that you will always want to have one to look upon and love each day.

These malamutes truly speak to your soul and ARE the Sacred Ones.

Wow, that is one majestic animal in that picture!

I really did choose the pups you are receiving :)

Ella for her markings and I think she has a sweet face.

Ray Ban was too dark for my liking and the red was taken.

I have never chosen a dog just from a picture, I prefer personal

interaction.  I understand the process of course.  I hope these

young ones prove to be all you are looking for and are a joyful

addition to your family for years to come :)

It will be exciting to watch as they grow up, thanks for sharing Mal!

Wow, that is one majestic animal in that picture!

I really did choose the pups you are receiving :)

Ella for her markings and I think she has a sweet face.

Ray Ban was too dark for my liking and the red was taken.

I have never chosen a dog just from a picture, I prefer personal

interaction.  I understand the process of course.  I hope these

young ones prove to be all you are looking for and are a joyful

addition to your family for years to come :)

It will be exciting to watch as they grow up, thanks for sharing Mal!

That's really cool imiubu.  I guess it was meant to be ya know. :-)

Burberry will be a bigger critter than rayban likely. You can tell by his head and muzzle.  He is gonna be a big, silly, loverboy probably.  They tend to be. I think Dior is going to look very much like her mom Oakley. To me, a truly classic looking Malamutt. And yes, she was picked because of her gentle face and likelihood of being a cuddler. 

But, ya never know when they are this young.  I have always preferred picking at 5 weeks because you can tell temperament, curiosity, intuitiveness, rambunctiousness and how they approach the unknown. :-)

So, a little different than I am used to.  But I am very happy with the picks.  I can't wait till they are 8 weeks,... they look so different by then.  That little tiny burberry will be over 20 lbs by then,... Heh. Bundles of fur and puppy teeth.

Training will be interesting since they are littermates.  Will take extra work and keeping them apart alot of the time through the developmental months here.  Separate walks, separate training, separate feeding, separate kennels.

Bleh.  That is one drawback to getting 2 puppies at once is developing them as unique to themselves and connected to their humans. Helps avoid future problems. Such as hating each other. ;-)

These dogs are too high maintenance for me. They need to run, and run, and run. Loved mine when I had her. Obedience was not her strong suit. Now I'm thinking that a border collie might be good. They take obedience extremely well, and can run and get the activity they need without my having to be at their side every minute.

Heres a great picture:

attachicon.gif1012693_1391988877681697_1830636746_n.jpg

Nice picture, that's a wooly and not always easy to get your hands on. The breeder I got mine from laughed when I said I wanted another one! She didn't think I would be able to find one in Michigan. She was right, I could not find another wooly.

Here is a picture of my 150 pound wooly. This was taken about a year before he passed on.

Shadow 41609 135

Be careful what you wish for :D

As a normal house pet, the large wooly malamute can be difficult. Just the crazy amount of fur is a challenge at bath time. They are a sponge to water and can take days to completely dry when their fur is super thick!
As for keeping them outside, I am not sure there is a fence that can contain them without strict engineering. He would break logging chains attached to his collar at will! No, not a harness, a choke collar. He was happy to greet everyone. His main concern was other male dogs. He wanted to show his dominance to every male dog he encountered.

Congratulations and good luck to you!

Holy cow, look at the fur on that guy.  That is seriously wooly. :-)

And I would agree unless cemented 6 foot,  the fence doesn't 'really' hold them.  I never had a problem with a 4 foot chain link myself, but I do specific barrier training for malamutts so they respect barriers because they are a barrier, not because it will actually stop them if they really wanted through. Hehehe.  And some of these malamutts are serious diggers.  Hole to china digging.  My last 2 malamutes one day had a hole digging contest.  They literally stood next to each and dug like 4 foot holes until all you could see was their head sticking out of them.  They looked very happy about their deed and I am not sure which one won,... but I filled in those holes and put patio blocks over the area.  Hahaha,...

I know!!

:mom:

I thought I would give an update about names for these pups.  Still tossing it around,...

But I am pretty sure We have decided on the boy.

He will be known as "Cinder". Strong deep name.  I like it.

post-31484-0-89652600-1422741218_thumb.jpg

Now as far as the female, dior goes.  Still debating there. We have a list. I pretty much shot down the "ella" thing because I want them to be individuals and not 2 dogs answering to one name. :-)  But we have a few names in the list in no particular order or actual interest:

Winter

Zoey

Juno

Jasmine

Farrah

Frosti

Violet

Sunshine

Loki

post-31484-0-41134900-1422741395_thumb.jpg

So, we shall see!!