Supreme Court Won't Hear Case Involving Man's Stolen Marijuana Plants

bobandtorey

OTTAWA - The Supreme Court of Canada will not hear the case of an Ontario man who sued his insurance company over stolen marijuana plants.

Darren Stewart filed a $50,000 claim on his homeowners' insurance policy with TD General Insurance after 11 of his medical marijuana plants were stolen on two separate occasions.

But the company offered him $1,000 for any one tree, shrub or plant — meaning he was entitled to a total of $11,000.

Stewart sued TD twice for $45,000 for the plants and $180,000 for breach of contract and mental and physical suffering over the thefts.

An appeal court dismissed his case last year because the plants didn't constitute personal property under the terms of his policy.

As usual, the Supreme Court did not give reasons for its decision not to hear the case.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/national_news/article_08605342-54c5-5000-a9aa-74f94163f879.html?TNNoMobile

That's what I was thinking, KD.

He would have needed to declare plants of exceptional value and likely needed a rider for the indemnification he was suing to receive. If he had that I'd be with him 100%.

Insurance company probably didn't bring up the policy variables he may have created by altering his structure to accommodate his horticulture area. I bet they will if he ever has a fire, plumbing or electrical claim.

Shocked any insurance company is even willing to pay a dime I figured they would use the "Its against federal law" excuse to deny the claim.

It is Canada. Canadians are polite enough that they would offer 1k just to not have to offend the guy I would think. He could have had a few busted rhubarb plants and they might have offered him 1k per.

We all get one life. Part of that guy's story is he was arguing in court that an insurance company owed him more money for his plants. We know how many motions and hearings there must have been for it to get denied by the Supreme Court. Every time walking in to court knowing you are suing because they undervalued your weed. I think he is waving the flag on the highest mountain he can climb. The world is different than the '80s isn't it?

But not really at all. We revel in the restoration of our most basic civil liberties. I don't worry about society infringing on my freedom. I figure government is waiting for the opportunity. I'm chalking this as a rock thrown at the wall. At least it didn't ricochet and hit him in the head as I would have expected.