Let It Rip Weekend: Medical Marijuana Dispensary Regulations And Crisis

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/27879769/let-it-rip-weekend-medical-marijuana-dispensary-regulations-and-crisis-communication

If they are not legal the news would have said it right from the start of the video 

Does this presuppose that the news people have any clue about what is actually happening? Watching this it is obvious the Fox people are not what one would considered "informed". Perhaps they are just playing the part for the assumed audience level's knowledge level to allow for a better vicarious experience.

"One of the officers from Commander Craig's office, I took him on a tour down 8 mile road and he was amazed what he saw. He was shocked." Winfred Blackmon, who's working to unite Detroit neighborhoods against marijuana dispensaries.

So this citizen just stated that Craig's office has no idea what is happening on 8 mile? In his city he needs a citizen to show him where 8 mile is? What kind of chicanery is going on here? Cops can't find 8 mile now?!

Only one loon prohibitionist and he was the oldest guy. He won't complain about alcohol, strippers or gangs. Tate carries the line as best he can. He says "look out for the people we represent." as he continues to advocate policies that call for the arrest of his constituents who voted for unfettered access to medical marihuana.

bob, you didnt make a joke about the "high" number of dispensaries. like the girl made in the first 30 seconds of the video. WHY MUST THEY KEEP DOING THAT?

Because stupid tired jokes keep the old people remembering what they are afraid of is my guess. Plus writing funny jokes is difficult. Do you still watch Saturday Night Live? Tough job. What would you have them do, just report the news? Then how would we know how super-awesome clever they are. hehe. I still work hard to not let a word Jimmy Kimmel says hit my ears because of his lazy jab at Detroit in 2004.

A good watch. I rarely watch video clips but that was one of the better conversations I've heard on the topic - always helps when the prohibitionist can't speak quickly.

Matt Abel "Theres nothing stopping a group of caregivers getting together and opening a business it isn't against the law"

Wouldn't this be considered a collective then ?

State would call it that - they invent new terms (as you know) all the time like "Bona-fide" physician relationship to cover the MMMA.

Emerging industries are often encouraged to merge and share collective knowledge, but this one is so incredibly different that it just can't be allowed to happen.

A Detroit city councilman, worried about an influx of medical marijuana dispensaries in the city, wants state lawmakers to help give local governments the tools to regulate them.

Since medical marijuana was legalized by voters in 2008, dispensaries have opened up in Detroit at an alarming rate, according to Councilman James Tate.

Tate estimates there are 180 dispensaries in 149 square miles of the city, describing it as an “oversaturation.”

Detroit is “in limbo in terms of our ability to enforce the law” due to the “gray area that doesn’t allow for dispensaries to really exist,” Tate said.

Laws allow registered people to grow and sell medical marijuana but don’t say if dispensaries or provisioning centers can do so.

Tate has been working closely with the Detroit Police Department, the City Planning Commission, the Law Department and the National Patient Rights Association to prepare the city to regulate dispensaries. But first, he said, the state Legislature needs to act.

In December, two lame duck bills died in a Senate committee after being passed in the state House. Tate, who represents Council District 1, hopes to see both bills reintroduced and made into law so medical marijuana dispensaries can be regulated.

“They would clarify the law enough for the city of Detroit,” Tate said.

The City Council’s Legislative Council Division issued a policy briefing outlining changes that would need to be made to Detroit’s city code if the bills are signed into law.

A House bill sponsored by Republican Rep. Mike Callton of Barry County, would clarify legal protections for medical marijuana dispensaries, allowing for safer access by patients and regulation by cities.

An accompanying bill, introduced by Republican Rep. Eileen Kowall of White Lake, would allow patients to consume non-smoking forms of medical marijuana, which are not currently legal.

Callton said he plans to reintroduce his bill next week. He’s still looking for someone in the Senate to take up the non-smoking medical marijuana bill. He said he intends to involve law enforcement groups that had some objections to the legislation.

“I’d like to hear their concerns and see how we can address them,” Callton said.

Chris Lindsey, a legislative analyst with the Marijuana Policy Project in Washington, D.C., said the law needs to be clarified because medical marijuana patients are exposed to legal risk.

“There needs to be a system that provides safe access for patients. Until this is in place, individuals will be vulnerable,” Lindsey said.

The National Patient Rights Association, a Grosse Pointe Farms-based nonprofit that advocates for the rights of medical marijuana patients and providers, has been working closely with Tate and state lawmakers to help draft bills.

“The legislation we’ve been working on gives them the local control they’re looking for,” Robin Schneider, a legislative liaison with the association, said of the Detroit City Council. “It gives control back to the municipalities.

“The goal here is to have better regulated dispensaries and less public nuisance.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2015/01/18/detroit-councilman-clarity-marijuana-dispensaries/21963715/

I call bs on the the 180 number,even Matt Abel said closer to 70.They all admit there is no increase in crime involved, why start chit when there is none.I guess having a crack house on every street is okay.Probably a couple of bible toting granny's doing all the complaining.

Edited by painterdan

I call bs on the the 180 number,even Matt Abel said closer to 70.They all admit there is no increase in crime involved, why start chit when there is none.I guess having a crack house on every street is okay.Probably a couple of bible toting granny's doing all the complaining.

I would disagree.  I think the number may be double to Matt's estimate.    Matt's statement of 70 was qualified by saying he had someone in his office do a search over the summer.  Since the summer we have had a 100% increase in dispensaries in our neighborhood.   Twice a week I go across 8 mile from 94 to Woodward, there has  been a 300% increase there since the summer.