Genetic Yellowing - Chasing Genetic Flaws.

Hello!

Brand new here, have been lurking a bit.

I wanted to get the communities idea's on genetic yellowing, and how each grower engaged the situation.

http://i.imgur.com/D5wD7Awl.jpg

The picture is an upclose of an Apollo 13 leaf. during the first week of flower, she begins yellowing. This is a fresh healthy leaf from the end of week three in flower.

I know of three other care givers using her, and no matter the different nutrients and suppliment, she still yellows.

Naturally there can be some yellowing during flower. However, my thumb is telling me this is a bit much a bit early. I'm seeing a Mg deficiency. This is the worst case I could find out of all of them.

I am considering taking a sample to IronLabs and seeing what specifically she is lacking, or if this is completely natural. 

SOME INFO!

- We have been using Apollo-13 for awhile and have just gotten used to her extreme yellowing. She is still an amazing plant. 

- I've seen her do it with several different nutrient types. I am using a compost tea I make myself.

- Side by side with other plants, nothing else seems to yellow as fast or as much as the Apollo 13

So we know that some plants will yellow more than others during flower. The real question is what lines are drawn between supplement and natural yellowing. At what point is there a deficiency (if any), and can it be corrected? If it can be corrected, is it beneficial (how does the plant respond?)

Any of you CG's out there with experience in the subject, lets hear it! Did you correct a genetic yellower? Have you tried? Results?

the trees in my forest here carry the same gene, except the pines. They all yellow towards the end of their season for many reasons. There are insects attracted to colors, used for propagation/defoliation, composting etc. Insect frass is low towards the low light seasonal changes outdoors also. Less nitrogen, less light, less photosynthesis, less chlorophyll, = yellow leaves.

I grow the Apollo and my leaves don't yellow anymore or less than any other genetic wonder in my garden. spend your cash on more genetics form this wonderful breeder instead I'd say..

Apollo is a top choice! 

Edited by grassmatch

Pictures of plants are far easier to spot issues 

rather than a leaf sorta ?

And for the record...I supercharge mine on Nitrogen , right till the flip 

I look for the plant to be peaking at that moment

You may be starving yours :dodgyrun:

Edited by Beans

the trees in my forest here carry the same gene, except the pines. They all yellow towards the end of their season for many reasons. There are insects attracted to colors, used for propagation/defoliation, composting etc. Insect frass is low towards the low light seasonal changes outdoors also. Less nitrogen, less light, less photosynthesis, less chlorophyll, = yellow leaves.

I grow the Apollo and my leaves don't yellow anymore or less than any other genetic wonder in my garden. spend your cash on more genetics form this wonderful breeder instead I'd say..

Apollo is a top choice! 

I will absolutely take you up on that offer! Always interested, just from an older generation where these things weren't as easily available! 

She is an amazing plant. She still produces more than anyone else, the flower is just incredible. The smell is literally breath taking. 

If the plant appears otherwise healthy I would say it's just part of the natural process.

As far as any of us know in my circle, this is exactly correct. That is the point to this thread. If it ain't broke, don't fix her, but what happens if we do try to address these issues in early yellowers? Will it be beneficial?

I saw it as a genetic plus, no fan leaves to prune. :)  If yield is there and taste is good, why add more.  Mine weren't as good when tehy stay green till the end.

EXACTLY!

The chem-dawg? Completely different. No yellowing on her whatsoever. It's sad to cut her down she is still so vibrant and dark green almost black beautiful leaves. Apollo is just sitting there waiting to hang!

Pictures of plants are far easier to spot issues 

rather than a leaf sorta ?

And for the record...I supercharge mine on Nitrogen , right till the flip 

I look for the plant to be peaking at that moment

You may be starving yours :dodgyrun:

If there's one thing I know, it's that they aren't hungry! If she is just a heavy feeder, I will find out. I am starting week 4 here and I have been feeding her x2 everyone elses meals! I guess we shall see how she finishes. 

I had a strain(crunchberry maybe?) that no matter what you did it lost all it's fan leaves early in flower.  Bud leaves would stay green all the way thru though.  Man I miss that strain. :)

Looking through pictures online, it seems to be really common in Sativa dominant plants. 

All of this still raises the original question, and I suppose it would be answered strain by strain. So we are assuming that Sativa yellowing is nitrogen being sucked out?

I had a strain(crunchberry maybe?) that no matter what you did it lost all it's fan leaves early in flower.  Bud leaves would stay green all the way thru though.  Man I miss that strain. :)

Nepali Rukum loses all of it's leaves and there's nothing but bud left on the stems by harvest time.

Is it an autoflower strain or something? By what week are most of the leaves gone? That's crazy!

Kind of proves my point to a friend that your root system is the most important thing to master first (if we ever master it at all!). If a plant can drop all of it's leaves and flourish for 6-8 weeks, that's one healthy root body!

your plants know exactly what to do with it.

My first lesson in this was an outdoor harvest. Loved and cared for some little beauties during winter, transplanted them, came back a couple days later and slugs had turned them LITERALLY no kidding into twigs. From month old clones to gooey twigs!

A grown man on his knees almost crying, SO MAD! running around stomping slugs and menacingly laughing as I pour way too much slug bait all over the area.

Two weeks later? Giant three foot bushes you couldn't break if you tried. I was shocked. 

Edited by slider7