Obama Predicts Bright Future For Legal Weed

President Barack Obama said during a YouTube interview Thursday that he believes more states will consider legalizing recreational marijuana, citing his administration's hands-off approach to prohibition-ending cannabis laws in Colorado and Washington state.

“What you’re seeing now is Colorado, Washington, through state referenda, they’re experimenting with legal marijuana," Obama said in response to host Hank Green. "The position of my administration has been that we still have federal laws that classify marijuana as an illegal substance, but we’re not going to spend a lot of resources trying to turn back decisions that have been made at the state level on this issue. My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this."

Obama went on to say that he has asked his Department of Justice to examine how nonviolent drug offenders are being treated by the justice system.

Full story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/22/obama-marijuana-youtube_n_6527958.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013

President Barack Obama said during a YouTube interview Thursday that he believes more states will consider legalizing recreational marijuana, citing his administration's hands-off approach to prohibition-ending cannabis laws in Colorado and Washington state.

“What you’re seeing now is Colorado, Washington, through state referenda, they’re experimenting with legal marijuana," Obama said in response to host Hank Green. "The position of my administration has been that we still have federal laws that classify marijuana as an illegal substance, but we’re not going to spend a lot of resources trying to turn back decisions that have been made at the state level on this issue. My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this."

Obama went on to say that he has asked his Department of Justice to examine how nonviolent drug offenders are being treated by the justice system.

Full story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/22/obama-marijuana-youtube_n_6527958.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013

That is the art of politics right there "We're not going to spend a lot of resources trying to turn back decisions..." What is the exact dollar amount of "a lot of resources" when it comes to fighting the will of voter approved legislation? That is another great nothing statement designed to make people think he's helping while doing nothing. Well-played but deceitful as usual.

Asked them to examine? Asked them to examine? See comment above for indication of the value of this statement also. He's trying to keep the Democrats in play on this issue because he knows Hillary's position is going to blow it up soon enough.

My opinions only and not worth the electrons used to type them for most. Thanks for posting the clip.

Edited by YesMichigan

This conversation will only get serious when the feds take down prohibition. Leaving laws on the books that can be enforced at any time in the future on a whim remains a dangerous option.

Removing it from the CSA (Controlled Substance Act of 1970 - I know you know but in case someone else reading doesn't) is the only option. Alcohol and Tobacco were never part of it and Marijuana shouldn't have been either. I'm not unique in this opinion as more than a few, you included, have beat this drum before. It is the only path and the one I am going to lobby for every chance I get.

http://www.freedomleaf.com/re_schedule_or_de_schedule_marijuana

That is (what I found to be) a good article on the subject I think most here will agree with.

How far could an executive order go on this issue? BHO has written many of them in his time (not an inordinate amount compared to other Presidents I'm NOT saying that) so why not have BHO make BHO available? (Barack Hussein Obama makes Butane Hash Oil available). The TLAs (three letter acronyms) align perfectly, it must be a conspiracy! He HAS to do it now.

Tobacco is not a scheduled "drug" - for decades people would have said "Highly addictive and no medicinal use". Fast forward to August of 2014:

Ebola Drug Made From Tobacco Plant Saves U.S. Aid Workers

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-05/ebola-drug-made-from-tobacco-plant-saves-u-s-aid-workers.html

If this isn't the perfect illustration of creating opportunities for research at ALL times for problems you don't know about yet then I don't know what is.

Remove Marijuana from the CSA today.

He, well, Clinton should've looked into it when I was in a drunk tank well over capacity with the toilets overflowed to us standing on the concrete stoop.

I'm getting so sick of the rhetoric.  Seems about right though, taking credit for doing nothing.  It had been devastating esp. in minority communities, yet no plan to help the people who elected him.  I just won't make it worse, we'll wait for the republican president to do that.

Edited by Norby

He, well, Clinton should've looked into it when I was in a drunk tank well over capacity with the toilets overflowed to us standing on the concrete stoop.

I'm getting so sick of the rhetoric.  Seems about right though, taking credit for doing nothing.  It had been devastating esp. in minority communities, yet no plan to help the people who elected him.  I just won't make it worse, we'll wait for the republican president to do that.

That was awesome. I love this place. My day is better just for the concept you present there.

Since 2012 it has felt like Obama has worked to appear "populist" on this issue (medical marijuana) because he knows it is his job to keep the air clear for the next candidate the party elects to set their own course without a bias from the past. He has not been for or against, just said some things that people who want to believe will cling to and people who hate him will say "See he's still a hippy!"

Obama, or any president for that matter, can not come right out and say that they want pot legal. They would be crucified by the other party and the fallout from it would set marijuana reform back years.

He has to be subtle in how he approaches this subject. He is using the Republican's words against them when he advocates for States Rights. The Repubs are all about states rights, or at least that is what they have been preaching when it comes to abortions and Gay Rights. Obama just does a "turn about is fair play" on them when it comes to marijuana and the Repubs can't dispute Obama's conjectures on the subject.

The politicians in favor of legalized marijuana are waiting for the dam to break and wash away all the prohibitionist arguments. When 50% of the states have legalized marijuana, the other ones will no longer be able to keep up the charade and freedom will once again ring across the land. Hoorah.

Obama, or any president for that matter, can not come right out and say that they want pot legal. They would be crucified by the other party and the fallout from it would set marijuana reform back years.

He has to be subtle in how he approaches this subject. He is using the Republican's words against them when he advocates for States Rights. The Repubs are all about states rights, or at least that is what they have been preaching when it comes to abortions and Gay Rights. Obama just does a "turn about is fair play" on them when it comes to marijuana and the Repubs can't dispute Obama's conjectures on the subject.

The politicians in favor of legalized marijuana are waiting for the dam to break and wash away all the prohibitionist arguments. When 50% of the states have legalized marijuana, the other ones will no longer be able to keep up the charade and freedom will once again ring across the land. Hoorah.

Obama can form so many words. While not a savvy orator (my opinion) he has excellent command of the English language. He is the smartest President in my lifetime and I think he agrees with me more on this subject than he doesn't if he "could" say it as you point out. That's where we depart though.

You can't tell me that reforming racist laws would be bad. That fallout from ending the madness could possibly be worse for the movement and the people being imprisoned each day is erroneous beyond all measure to me. This is a good line though to keep people from DEMANDING freedom, to allowing the politicians to not say what is right because "They have to play ball". I don't think you believe it but hopefully I can illuminate that they planted a bug in your brain to believe that Principles are nebulous and slowly accepted. Nope. Imprisoning people for drug use or possession is wrong, if you know it, say it, live it, be it. This debate occurs between us because they haven't figured out a reason to imprison us....yet...

Edited by YesMichigan

Obama cannot change the law. Congress passes laws.

He can scream to the high heavens to legalize and it means zero until enough republicans finally see the light.

He has reformed sentencing, protected patients federally, turned the other way on legalization, reformed seizure law etc.

Hell, I never thought we would ecver see any type of seizure reform and poof!

Its merely a first step on that front. But it reversed a trend that has never stopped in the war on drugs and took a step forward.

Little credit?

Obama cannot change the law. Congress passes laws.

He can scream to the high heavens to legalize and it means zero until enough republicans finally see the light.

He has reformed sentencing, protected patients federally, turned the other way on legalization. etc.

Obama can't change the law but he provided amnesty via executive order for "undocumented guests of foreign nations"

So let's just start with a conversational level message to the Republicans for all of us to hear. Lack of that will create a disaffected Independent voter base that will further decrease the Democrat vote and give the Republicans the Presidency in 2016 because they will be seen as the same people if they aren't willing to decisively take a position AGAINST Prohibition, Persecution and Incarceration.

I love that he hasn't allowed the DoJ to go after patients - the quote here indicates he is still working against legalization.

He has released many non violent drug offenders and lowered sentencing terms.

I think thou needs to take a step back and realize, Obama is not the problem.  He is the only guy helping us on the federal level right now.

I find it weird that all you do is complain about this.  Blame the right people. Legalization on Obamas desk,... he signs it immediately.

He is not the problem and he only has so much power and is the only president in anyone alives entire lifetime to reverse the trend on the war on marijuana.  No President in 80 years+ has done what Obama is doing for us.

I call him "The Smartest President in my lifetime" and you are still asking for me to give him credit? Absolute sworn fealty is apparently your standard of acceptance.

I think Obama got elected (twice) because a large segment of the voting base that isn't normally motivated to vote got behind him. I think many did so with the belief that Marijuana and Drug Policy reform would be a primary agenda item. That he would be the voice of those abused by a racist system that has existed for far too long. Mine isn't a lone voice of wondering why not more? Children's lives being destroyed not by drugs but by the War on them. If he could reference this damage and destruction, please?

Instead he pretends to not understand how the Justice systems handles non-violent drug offenders. Really? With a straight face? If a Republican said the same thing you would howl.

He hasn't made the progress that was hoped for and the person following behind him has verbalized opposition to what I want to happen for the future of America on this topic.

He has all the power he needs to outline the horrific bias in sentencing esp. since he's the first black pres.  As I said he can "do" anything he wants.  If he wanted it done the right minds would get together in some back room and make it so.  He could call out the bias of the cops and legal drug companies fighting it and it's medical benefit.  What was the memo that came out of the white house after he said it wasn't that bad.  Didn't they outline 3 bunk studies and say more studies had to be done.  Aren't they still holding back openly studying MJ?  Total run around.

Didn't they let out criminals from overcrowding?  I didn't know the pres did that?

Saying he's looking into how we're being treated?  Is that admitting he's not going to do anything about incerceration but make sure we're treated right?  Jacuzzi's, chips and dip I hope.

Pres of Uruguay did it.  You're telling me the most powerful man in the world couldn't shame the country into stopping the persecution?  Didn't Lincoln free the slaves?  But Obama can't get a weed legalized?  Sounds like excuses to me.

Edited by Norby

I'll leave it here (for me only of course) after I've thought about it a few hours. I dig giving credit for dude and he's not the protagonist and that is a positive start. I do analyze his comments and read between the lines with him the same way I do a Republican. I won't change but I'll keep it to myself in the future as it isn't productive.

My "anger" is sadness because I do have a knot in my stomach that has been there for decades because each day that goes by means another day that millions of lives remain ruined because of The War. My saving grace is that I get to contemplate it instead of being a POW.

Take a moment to reflect on the mothers and fathers in prison on this cold night, jailed for nothing more than a plant. Be safe everyone.

I apologize also.

I'm just lashing out because of over 30 years of harassment and being treated pretty harshly for a few joints or roaches.  I felt like this was the best chance we had.  And i feel completely let down by my old party.  I feel like I've been misled. repetitively.

I'm getting too old for this bunny muffin.  I'd like freedom in my lifetime.

Edited by Norby

He has released many non violent drug offenders and lowered sentencing terms.

I think thou needs to take a step back and realize, Obama is not the problem. He is the only guy helping us on the federal level right now.

I find it weird that all you do is complain about this. Blame the right people. Legalization on Obamas desk,... he signs it immediately.

He is not the problem and he only has so much power and is the only president in anyone alives entire lifetime to reverse the trend on the war on marijuana. No President in 80 years+ has done what Obama is doing for us.

Carter... but us citizens conspired w foreign terrorists to oust him out of office. His term could've (maybe would've) altered the trajectory back in the early 80's... isntead, those that conspiredd got 12 years in office.

He had a lot on his plate at the time... but maybe the other guy that got murdered (or his brother) might have had some influence on what our gov could've been too.

But 2nd term carter & a successor...? Such a shame... for much more than just an adult outlook on drug use. U have values that guide your dec making... get out or get dead. Message received.

Edited by Indigro

Carter... but us citizens conspired w foreign terrorists to oust him out of office. His term could've (maybe would've) altered the trajectory back in the early 80's... isntead, those that conspiredd got 12 years in office.

He had a lot on his plate at the time... but maybe the other guy that got murdered (or his brother) might have had some influence on what our gov could've been too.

But 2nd term carter & a successor...? Such a shame... for much more than just an adult outlook on drug use. U have values that guide your dec making... get out or get dead. Message received.

Willie Nelson performed for President Jimmy Carter, Sept. 13, 1980
On this day in 1980, Willie Nelson and his band performed on the South Lawn of the White House while President Jimmy Carter took time off from his reelection campaign to enjoy the concert.

First lady Rosalynn Carter joined Nelson for a duet. Her “soft soprano,” The New York Times reported, complemented Nelson’s “nasal baritone.” At one point, the president joined in as Nelson and Rosalynn sang “Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother.”

Later that evening, Willie Nelson admitted to having gone to the White House roof to smoke marijuana. The Texas-born singer-songwriter said he lit up a “big fat Austin torpedo” – street slang for a marijuana cigarette — whenever he stayed overnight at the White House.

i think snoop said he smoked in the bathroom at the white house while visiting obama. i could be wrong...

It would be difficult to more perfectly illustrate the discrepancies of Freedom between the "haves" and the "have not"s. One guy is celebrated and brought to the White House because he made smoking weed appear even cooler than before; meanwhile, parents trying to grow strains of medical marijuana to help their autistic children have to fight off CPS and LEO.