Why So Many Pot Dispensaries Here?

Holland, Mich.

I just love Holland. My wife and I came here 20 years ago and fell in love with Holland's wholesomeness, and family values not found in many places throughout our country. Most of the people we've met are truly good and God-fearing people, accepting and loving and bent on helping all their neighbors feel comfortable. Goodness may be its flaw, too. When evil and immorality attack our foundations, most good people want to offer grace when it may require confrontation to protect the community.

Ever hear of these local businesses: The Mix, Great Turtle Emporium, Patient Solutions, Pure West, Nirvana, Lakeshore Alternatives or Good Intentions Paving Company? I suspect most people in Holland have never even heard of them, let alone know what they do. All are local to Holland, Zeeland or Saugatuck and have one thing in common — they are all marijuana dispensaries. Even more important is to see where they're located in our communities. Just check the web, it may surprise you.

What's amazing to me is that the ink was hardly dry on the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act of 2008 and these companies started showing up in our community, even before clarifications and conflicts with other laws were ever considered. I was at a meeting just last week that spoke on Michigan marijuana and was completely surprise to learn that there are leaders in our township and city governments who still don't know these distribution centers even exist.

So now I have a lot of new questions that concern me: How did these businesses get started when even the laws hadn't been sorted out? Do the citizens of our community even know they exist? Where and how did they get licenses to go into business? Who issued them? Where does one even get marijuana that is produced with the kind of quality control that medicines in our country typically demand? We passed a medical marijuana law, not a recreational marijuana law, so who in our law enforcement departments are monitoring these companies to make sure they are not selling to our kids? If these are supposed to be medical facilities, who is inspecting and ensuring they meet medical standards? Why don't the people in the community know? Do they even care? What about you? Did you know? Do your kids know? Do the people we elect to office know?

Maybe it's time to find out.

Read more: http://www.hollandsentinel.com/article/20150126/Opinion/150129494#ixzz3Pw72vbgU

Oh, boy. I hate to admit it but I live in Holland and more specifically, Park Township!

Turns out I was at the same meeting this gentleman referenced. It's true, the two local speakers weren't aware of the nearby dispensaries. One, was a counselor from a youth and family intervention outfit who, by the way, was handing out material that purpetuates the old lies, and contained many quotes by our friend Kevin Sabet. The other was the local Chief of Police who probably wouldn't know as none of the mentioned Disp. are in his jurisdiction!

The other two speakers were Rep. Mike Callton, co-author of the Disp. bill, I believe, and uh, uh, man- brain fart! Sorry, don't remember. Obviously he didn't make an impression.

The meeting was put on by the Ottawa County Patriots! Yup, you guessed it- the local Tea Party group. Nothing against the TP - I applaud them for putting forth a presentation (no discussion-few questions allowed) on MMJ, but I kinda thought TP'ers were more Libertarian. There wasn't a lot of support in the audience for mmj.

This is too funny for words. I am guessing that a lot of people in Holland are Dutch. I don't know if there are any people on earth who are more conservative than the Dutch. Just for a reference point here, the Amish are Dutch and everyone knows how conservative the Amish are.

So, 4 or more dispensaries are operating in the city and they don't even know about them? That is rich! When they find out, their first reaction is to bring in their "experts" who are as ignorant on the subject as they are.

To make a long story short, it looks like conservative Dutch culture is going to collide head on with the Medical Marijuana Act of 2008. What is really amusing about this dust-up is that the Tea Party, the champions of individual freedom, are on the same side as the Dutch, the champions of stiffled thought. This just gets better everyday.

This is too funny for words. I am guessing that a lot of people in Holland are Dutch. I don't know if there are any people on earth who are more conservative than the Dutch. Just for a reference point here, the Amish are Dutch and everyone knows how conservative the Amish are.

So, 4 or more dispensaries are operating in the city and they don't even know about them? That is rich! When they find out, their first reaction is to bring in their "experts" who are as ignorant on the subject as they are.

To make a long story short, it looks like conservative Dutch culture is going to collide head on with the Medical Marijuana Act of 2008. What is really amusing about this dust-up is that the Tea Party, the champions of individual freedom, are on the same side as the Dutch, the champions of stiffled thought. This just gets better everyday.

Great summation!

The meeting was put on by the Ottawa County Patriots! Yup, you guessed it- the local Tea Party group. Nothing against the TP - I applaud them for putting forth a presentation (no discussion-few questions allowed) on MMJ, but I kinda thought TP'ers were more Libertarian. There wasn't a lot of support in the audience for mmj.

In poll after poll, people who identify as "Tea Party" supporters poll the lowest in support for marijuana.  "Republicans" have a higher support for marijuana than 'tea party' even.

But it does make it the group of people that is most ripe for the pickens so to speak. More chances to pick up new supporters instead of preachin to the choir.

Good comments everyone.

For the record, there are a LOT of Dutch in Holland! Most are them are conservative Christian Reformed, which has its own set of issues IMHO. Though Holland has a lot of older white Dutch, the area is no longer blue-eyed and blond-haired. When my wife retired from the Holland Public Schools in 2010 the minority populations in the local school districts were approaching 70%.

To my knowledge, there aren't any - meaning zero dispensaries in Holland City.. Most are in Saugatuck (about as liberal as you can get). One, Pure West, is in Holland Township, not the city. Not sure they're dispensing anymore. A couple of the Disp. named are now closed, I believe (can't believe everything you read on Leafly, can you?)

I don't follow the local news, but to my knowledge there hasn't been an issue with any of the Disp. I think this guy is just blowing smoke (oh, how I wish) because he's pissed that no one (LEO) seems to be doing anything about them.

This is not a Dutch joke, so no offense, but there sure are a lot of narrow minded bigots in this town whether one is talking about pot, race (Obama, anyone?), immigrants (of color), gay rights, etc. I'm sure you get my drift.

Asi say,... we don't necessarily need more democratic support(we have a lot), we need less republican opposition.  Once the opposition weakens, we win.

As much as we hate to criticize the gummy bear makers I believe our perceptions we put out there are what is killing a speedy full legalization.

I've been thinking of making some videos of me medicating in the morning. When I first get in my chair my feet tap like I'm behind a double bass kit and my legs jump . Also sometimes my hips thrust forward, all spasms related to prolonged positioning. I take my pills and my wife hands me my pipe and lighter after adjusting my body and pants so I'm not sitting on wrinkles getting bedsores. 2-3 draws from the pipe and I'm sitting still, simple as that. That's just one of my medical uses, there's still the pain and occasional anxiety but they're not visual for the audience to "see" the results.

I'm just tired of seeing reruns of weed country where mike Boutin makes an donkey of himself and a mockery of caregivers. Taking his nephew on a run to deliver a pound was very poor role modeling. And then using his brother the cops name to get out of the speeding ticket in the meantime was annoying to watch. And then they highlight a guy going through court for a dispensery bust but still trying to get rich selling weed! No surprise he brought trouble mikes way, but mike is festering his own troubles by the way he conducts himself.

I'm just exhausted of seeing the same old drugs inc type of documentaries playing into our oppositions mindset. Perception is reality. And so are even the documentaries I don't feel help our cause.

I would like to find other people like me that could put a good visual reference to the use and need of MMJ. I would absolutely like to be part of a documentary that highlights the responsible medical applications so many of us use. All of these little kids using cbd to prevent seizures is awesome to see, a documentary half that and half grownups like me with other visual "proof" will really help the movement. We're getting very close to moving it from scedule one but it won't happen on it's own and mike Boutin and the likes are giving our opposition plenty to be upset about, unfortunately rightfully so.

There's a white house petition to move marijuana from scedule one if anyone is interested in signing it go to White House.gov

Any ideas/partners/or help would be appreciated in making such a film or series. Dr. Pol did it with Charles, different topic, but you get my point. I'm very optimistic and want to add new old tools to the toolbox! Criticism welcome too please, I could be off a bit on this too, im only one man, hehe.

Stay positive and active in the MMJ community everybody:)

As much as we hate to criticize the gummy bear makers I believe our perceptions we put out there are what is killing a speedy full legalization.

I've been thinking of making some videos of me medicating in the morning. When I first get in my chair my feet tap like I'm behind a double bass kit and my legs jump . Also sometimes my hips thrust forward, all spasms related to prolonged positioning. I take my pills and my wife hands me my pipe and lighter after adjusting my body and pants so I'm not sitting on wrinkles getting bedsores. 2-3 draws from the pipe and I'm sitting still, simple as that. That's just one of my medical uses, there's still the pain and occasional anxiety but they're not visual for the audience to "see" the results.

I'm just tired of seeing reruns of weed country where mike Boutin makes an donkey of himself and a mockery of caregivers. Taking his nephew on a run to deliver a pound was very poor role modeling. And then using his brother the cops name to get out of the speeding ticket in the meantime was annoying to watch. And then they highlight a guy going through court for a dispensery bust but still trying to get rich selling weed! No surprise he brought trouble mikes way, but mike is festering his own troubles by the way he conducts himself.

I'm just exhausted of seeing the same old drugs inc type of documentaries playing into our oppositions mindset. Perception is reality. And so are even the documentaries I don't feel help our cause.

I would like to find other people like me that could put a good visual reference to the use and need of MMJ. I would absolutely like to be part of a documentary that highlights the responsible medical applications so many of us use. All of these little kids using cbd to prevent seizures is awesome to see, a documentary half that and half grownups like me with other visual "proof" will really help the movement. We're getting very close to moving it from scedule one but it won't happen on it's own and mike Boutin and the likes are giving our opposition plenty to be upset about, unfortunately rightfully so.

There's a white house petition to move marijuana from scedule one if anyone is interested in signing it go to White House.gov

Any ideas/partners/or help would be appreciated in making such a film or series. Dr. Pol did it with Charles, different topic, but you get my point. I'm very optimistic and want to add new old tools to the toolbox! Criticism welcome too please, I could be off a bit on this too, im only one man, hehe.

Stay positive and active in the MMJ community everybody:)

One thing about Mike Boutin, and others of his ilk, is that he knows that marijuana legalization is inevitable so he is kind of enjoying rubbing it in the face of the prohibitionists. His activities may slow down legalization, but it won't prevent it. Also, medical marijuana is here to stay. 70 percent of the population agrees with it.

In poll after poll, people who identify as "Tea Party" supporters poll the lowest in support for marijuana.  "Republicans" have a higher support for marijuana than 'tea party' even.

But it does make it the group of people that is most ripe for the pickens so to speak. More chances to pick up new supporters instead of preachin to the choir.

Let's tell them marijuana cures homosexuality.

Mal, as a TP supporter I couldn't agree with you more. As a Christian and a conservative I think I'm finally starting to wrap my head around the war on drugs mentality of the right. What really troubles me is that somewhere along the line, on this issue at least, they forgot about the concepts of liberty and personal responsibility. The only ones now talking about the importance of liberty are the libertarians. Kind of sad, in my opinion. Most conservatives are reasonable, rational people, and if presented with the facts and with something that also hits at the heart (like videos as Quadcarl mentioned), many just might come around. I think what you said, if applied, could do more for this movement than anything. It's important though to understand the mindset and worldview of the person you're trying to convince. That way you know where they're coming from and can address their concerns. 

Since when did christian become more about controlling people and persecuting them for different habits rather than turning the other cheek and seeing that everyone is human, just like them?  Didn't they leave England because of intolerance? Why don't we use something from their history to show we ARE just like them  and they are doing the same darn thing that they are whining about?  The ones who cry persecution just love to persecute others so it seems.

Don't the Amish get a pass on Obamacare?  So they can make their own health choices but don't want anyone else to be able to?

Edited by Norby

Since when did christian become more about controlling people and persecuting them for different habits rather than turning the other cheek and seeing that everyone is human, just like them?  Didn't they leave England because of intolerance? Why don't we use something from their history to show we ARE just like them  and they are doing the same darn thing that they are whining about?  The ones who cry persecution just love to persecute others so it seems.

Don't the Amish get a pass on Obamacare?  So they can make their own health choices but don't want anyone else to be able to?

Christianity isn't about about controlling people with whom we disagree, at least not in the sense you're talking about. You need to understand though that Christians, or religious people in general, will usually have a much stricter moral code concerning drug use than those who are not. That, and like everyone, they have been lied to for over 80 years about the dangers of mj. Put the two together and you can see why they are against it. They believe that legalizing it would cause more harm when the real harm lies in the war on drugs, but in their ignorance they don't know that. I think the desire to control the behavior (that is not obviously criminal) of others is a common trait among humans. It's a part of our fallen nature and something we need to suppress, just like we need to suppress the desire to hurt someone who has hurt us (turning the other cheek... not returning evil for evil). Christianity is not about control, and conservatism isn't either, yet you still see it in both places. You're right though that it's ugly when those who sought freedom or preach liberty turn around and take freedom from others.

I'll say again that Mal is right on. We can preach to the choir till the cows come home, and it won't do much good. We need to reach those who disagree with us. But to do that you need to understand your opponents worldview. If you approach them with the typical liberal/atheist/secularist contempt and sense of moral superiority that I see every day towards Christians and conservatives, I guarantee that they will be hardened in their position. They must be approached with both respect for their person and for their beliefs, no matter how much you may disagree with them. 

Christianity isn't about about controlling people with whom we disagree, at least not in the sense you're talking about. You need to understand though that Christians, or religious people in general, will usually have a much stricter moral code concerning drug use than those who are not. That, and like everyone, they have been lied to for over 80 years about the dangers of mj. Put the two together and you can see why they are against it. They believe that legalizing it would cause more harm when the real harm lies in the war on drugs, but in their ignorance they don't know that. I think the desire to control the behavior (that is not obviously criminal) of others is a common trait among humans. It's a part of our fallen nature and something we need to suppress, just like we need to suppress the desire to hurt someone who has hurt us (turning the other cheek... not returning evil for evil). Christianity is not about control, and conservatism isn't either, yet you still see it in both places. You're right though that it's ugly when those who sought freedom or preach liberty turn around and take freedom from others.

I'll say again that Mal is right on. We can preach to the choir till the cows come home, and it won't do much good. We need to reach those who disagree with us. But to do that you need to understand your opponents worldview. If you approach them with the typical liberal/atheist/secularist contempt and sense of moral superiority that I see every day towards Christians and conservatives, I guarantee that they will be hardened in their position. They must be approached with both respect for their person and for their beliefs, no matter how much you may disagree with them. 

I think I'll take my approach.  If they can't see it then they aren't christians.  The whole "we'll choose what health insurance you get even though you worked for and are entitled to your own choice because you worked for that money, because we know better than you" shows how it has shifted. If they are SO blinded as not to see the policy persecutes fellow humans, they are NOT christians. 

Sorry, I was raised Roman Catholic and even though I don't participate, I seem to be more "christian" then most catholics.  Rant over.

And the trait is not "common" to me.  It is quite easy to see when someone is being persecuted by another.  When I pay someone I don't try and control how they spend it.  If someone is drinking or shooting up or anything that doesn't involve driving a couple thousand pound weapon, it does not concern me.  If people would just realize that it doesn't concern them who I phaq, how many guns I have unless I'm shooting in their direction, what dog I own, etc.etc.etc.  People have their nose in too many other people's business where it has NO RIGHT!  darn politicians make everyone think they have a right to control people around them, because "it's in their interest".  That is a lie!!  The herb is mentioned IN THEIR BIBLE!  I gave you all the plants of the earth to use.  They are NOT christians!!!

This is what happens when there aren't enough jobs, everyone wants to control everything around them while the politicians are using the fear to grab more and more power.  Everyone thinks they are way too important!  More important than everyone around them.  "I don't understand why they would want that type of gun so I want to make it illegal"  Why would someone want to smoke that, it'll make you crazy, it should be illegal"  I know someone who was attacked by one of those pit bulls, they should be illegal".

Edited by Norby

Norby,

You picked health insurance as your example? Terrible example because the only mandate is that you cover yourself enough so all the rest of us don't have to pay the huge arse bill you might ring up because you chose to hose us if you got seriously injured or sick.  There are many other examples that would fit your idea but that one doesn't.

People get 'stuck in a rut' and can't find their way out of it. You train and strenghten your brain by what you do each day. Some folks get stuck in a rut and can't get their brains to quit even after the reasoning they had in the first place is found faulty. Totally muscle bound brains that have blinders on to reason, so they spiral back into issues that have already been resolved reasonably. These are 'non issues' now from the past.  Some call these issues 'talking points' like with the Affordable Care Act, they are going to hate on that forever even if it saves countless people suffering. They could be doing something more reasonable or constructive but their brains have been taught ...

Norby,

You picked health insurance as your example? Terrible example because the only mandate is that you cover yourself enough so all the rest of us don't have to pay the huge arse bill you might ring up because you chose to hose us if you got seriously injured or sick.  There are many other examples that would fit your idea but that one doesn't.

No I picked christian business' not wanting to give certain policies to their workers who deserve their own choice.  Read what I write, not what you want to hear.  It fits perfectly with christian control.  Now can you quit your "agenda" with me?

No I picked christian business' not wanting to give certain policies to their workers who deserve their own choice.  Read what I write, not what you want to hear.  It fits perfectly with christian control.  Now can you quit your "agenda" with me?

Condoms? Then why didn't you say condoms? 'Certain policies' is vague. My agenda is to understand what you are saying but I find that is foggy at times and difficult. Sorry for the misunderstanding regardless. 

Abortions, because I didn't want to.  Why didn't you ask for clarification before dumping on me?  Your agenda is not to understand or you would've asked before reacting.

And Obamacare is just as settled as the second amendment.  That was supposed to be a non issue too.  I love how people are against the feds for MJ being schedule 1 but tout the legitimacy of the gov't in things such as guns, healthcare, taxes, etc.  Healthcare gives my friend the ability to eat way too much and get gout and diabetes and I get to pay for it, just like I pay for his kids to go to school in NYS with the taxes from a house I don't live at and Ii have no kids. Gives people the ability to get into car accidents driving 20 mph faster than me in bad weather conditions. Insurance gives people the ability to make terrible choices and have others pay for it!  But that's the topic for another thread.  Really poked the bees nest this am.

And before you start I didn't say you didn't deserve care, just that I shouldn't be paying the same portion of it as someone who makes 1 million + a year and people shouldn't have no repurcussions for their life choices and no one should be getting surgeries in the last weeks of their life, as my grandmother did.  The system is still broken and we'll see that in the economy and pockets of the next generation.

Edited by Norby