The Effect Of 12/6 Light Cycle

pic book

The effect of 12/6...  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will be: (check all correct answers)

• to increase the electric bill by 25%.
    • to increase yield.
    • to hermie the crop and produce seeded bud.
    • to produce a crop that never matures.
    • to make loose, runny buds.
    • to finish pit bull in just 21 days (28 cycles).
    • to cause me to wonder, if 6 hours is enuf, just how short can the dark cycle be?

In the nursery industry I've heard of staggered lighting exactly like this, and even stranger. Power consumption, light stress response, etc. Its well known that what pic is doing will produce monster spindly plants with wispy buds. Been there myself pic, thinking I could take that nursery experience of vegging flowers into the medical mj room. didn't work as planned for me, But tents provided a low cost/plant option for trials and errors. findings: 24 hour vegging under T5/MH lighting, and 12on12off MH or HPS to induce and support flowering stage= best possible indoor scenario.

A more practical indoor experiment with cannabis would be like an hourly on/off scheme for power savings. Its all been done extensively and oodles of cash can be saved, not to mention plant life, by searching online for "alternative cannabis light schedules" or the like. I worked with a system that adjusted the light frequencies every minute or so. The intensity, "color" and dark periods were staggered but fully supportive. The result was a huge power savings in both veg and flower. The cost of the controller was out of reach for me though. It may still be made somewhere. I think it was cannabis specific big name, not sure.

good luck pic!

I always thouhht they needed at least 10 hours of dark to even start to flower......

Well, first a disclaimer: this my third grow. (Admittedly, I don't know a lot about the ins and outs of growing MJ including the whole light thing.)

Using CFLs I wanted to enhance my lighting so I purchased a DormGrow 90W (all "Red") UFO. I added it to the grow room two weeks prior to going to 12/12. I did this based on what the DormGrow people said, though I may have misunderstood them, because when I followed up with a question as to why I was getting flowers in Veg, they told me I shouldnt have added it until switching.

FLOWERS BEGAN TO FORM BEFORE I switched to 12/12 (from 18/6). I'm not talking about pre-flowers, but buds with multiple pistils.

Has anyone experienced or heard of this? Here's a pic of Pineapple Trainwreck and a Gold Leaf on day 17 of 12/12.

post-35077-0-41318600-1422450132_thumb.jpgpost-35077-0-68313800-1422450147_thumb.jpg

I always thouhht they needed at least 10 hours of dark to even start to flower......

Well, first a disclaimer: this my third grow. (Admittedly, I don't know a lot about the ins and outs of growing MJ including the whole light thing.)

Using CFLs I wanted to enhance my lighting so I purchased a DormGrow 90W (all "Red") UFO. I added it to the grow room two weeks prior to going to 12/12. I did this based on what the DormGrow people said, though I may have misunderstood them, because when I followed up with a question as to why I was getting flowers in Veg, they told me I shouldnt have added it until switching.

FLOWERS BEGAN TO FORM BEFORE I switched to 12/12 (from 18/6). I'm not talking about pre-flowers, but buds with multiple pistils.

Has anyone experienced or heard of this? Here's a pic of Pineapple Trainwreck and a Gold Leaf on day 17 of 12/12.

post-35077-0-41318600-1422450132_thumb.jpgpost-35077-0-68313800-1422450147_thumb.jpg

1)cfl's may not be enough par light reaching the plants, making them believe they are running into a short season. The ufo had little to do with your triggering. check your timers for proper function, increase to 24 on, move up to T5's in veg, and keep that ufo burning, although more useful in flower than veg.

2) your genetics may include some "auto" genes. I see preflowers on newly rooted clones, but never buds I the veg room. Mostly see this with long run clone of clones.

cfl's proved to be a huge waste of time for me as a caregiver. I saw them used in a hidden closet when I was younger. then the results seems awesome to me, now I have a refractometer, and know better. They grow great looking leaves and some buds, but they ust don't photosynthesize to their full potential under those low watt lights.

to avoid more issues consider putting these flowered gems into the flowering period before they get confused.

good luck

Many indoor plants nowadays do not love the 18/6 veg cycle.  Just general breeding issues created from indoor growing.

Also,... possibly major light issues or an autoflower issue. etc.

I use a 485 watt t5 fixture in veg. I use a 24 hour on scheme, and @ .08 cents per kwh it costs me $3.40 per year more than

if I used an 18/6 light schedule. for thought.

http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/electricity-calculator.htm

Edited by grassmatch

• 2 weeks later...