Juicing Cannabis Leaves For Your Health!

• 5 months later...

I do not currently have a juicer but I do foresee purchasing one in the near future.

imo, it only makes sense to juice cannabis just as any other veg/ fruit.

Last week I was plucking a few fan leaves and for the 1st. time, I decided to

taste them to see if the different strains tasted differently and yes they do.

I took those leaves and chopped them up like parsley and put them in soup.

I chopped the rest up for a green salad.  I can't say I noticed any effects

yet I know eating my greens is beneficial.  I will never toss fan leaves on

the compost pile again :)

I've not watched the video nor done research on this subject.

I am curious if we receive any more benefit from juicing raw cannabis

than we do from any other greens.  In it's raw state cannabis is not

decarboxylized therefore our bodies wouldn't utilize it as it would once

decarbed.  So, my thinking is that in it's raw form, cannabis is just

like any other veggie... beneficial sure, but how much of the cannabinoids

are actually being utilized?

I've not watched the video nor done research on this subject.

I am curious if we receive any more benefit from juicing raw cannabis

than we do from any other greens.  In it's raw state cannabis is not

decarboxylized therefore our bodies wouldn't utilize it as it would once

decarbed.  So, my thinking is that in it's raw form, cannabis is just

like any other veggie... beneficial sure, but how much of the cannabinoids

are actually being utilized?

Decarboxylation

Posted by Skunk Pharm Research,LLC.

Cannabis produces phyto cannabinoids in a carboxylic acid form that are not orally active at least at the CB-1 receptor sites, because they don’t readily pass the blood brain barrier in their polar form.

To enable them to pass the blood brain barrier, they must first be decarboxylated, to remove the COOH carboxyl group of atoms, which exits in the form of H20 and CO2.

Decarboxylation occurs naturally with time and temperature, as a function of drying, but we can shorten the amount of time required considerably, by adding more heat.  The more heat, the faster it occurs, within reasonable ranges, and in fact occurs spontaneously when the material is burned or vaporized.

There is another mechanism at play however, which suggests that we need to control the decarboxylation temperatures carefully.

When we heat cannabis to convert the THCA and CBDA into THC and CBD, we are also converting THC to CBN at a faster rate.  At about 70% decarboxylation, we actually start converting THC to CBN at a faster rate than we are converting THCA to THC, so as you can see by the following graph, after about 70% decarboxylation, the levels of THC actually start to fall sharply.

That of course means that the CBN also begins to rise and the medication is becoming more sedative.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

Decarboxylation

Posted by Skunk Pharm Research,LLC.

Cannabis produces phyto cannabinoids in a carboxylic acid form that are not orally active at least at the CB-1 receptor sites, because they don’t readily pass the blood brain barrier in their polar form.

To enable them to pass the blood brain barrier, they must first be decarboxylated, to remove the COOH carboxyl group of atoms, which exits in the form of H20 and CO2.

Decarboxylation occurs naturally with time and temperature, as a function of drying, but we can shorten the amount of time required considerably, by adding more heat.  The more heat, the faster it occurs, within reasonable ranges, and in fact occurs spontaneously when the material is burned or vaporized.

There is another mechanism at play however, which suggests that we need to control the decarboxylation temperatures carefully.

When we heat cannabis to convert the THCA and CBDA into THC and CBD, we are also converting THC to CBN at a faster rate.  At about 70% decarboxylation, we actually start converting THC to CBN at a faster rate than we are converting THCA to THC, so as you can see by the following graph, after about 70% decarboxylation, the levels of THC actually start to fall sharply.

That of course means that the CBN also begins to rise and the medication is becoming more sedative.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

That's what I thought.

a long video, heres an update with this guy and juicing.

i posted it in another thread but i'll repost it here.

I watch this guy sometimes mostly for gardening tips. 

Kinda goofy imo, but he has some good info.

I still don't think we can get 'high' on raw cannabis and

until I try it myself or science proves otherwise... I'll stick

with the science that says we can't.

Which strain tasted best to you?

Critical super silver haze :)

I still don't think we can get 'high' on raw cannabis and

until I try it myself or science proves otherwise... I'll stick

with the science that says we can't.

Try some bhang. It's been used for centuries,(longer than the science that says we can't).

http://oldtimemeds.blogspot.com/2014_02_01_archive.html

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I tried juicing raw cannabis for the first time today. It is important that I mention that I used a Champion juicer, because anyone who has used one is familiar with the pulp that the Champion juicer expels. I found what worked best for me was to use only leaves and the soft leaf stems, dipping the raw leaves in a bowl of water just prior to juicing and then grinding the sopping-wet leaves. The juice was great. What interested me too was the leftover pulp. I gathered the pulp and put it between 2 pieces of canvas and rolled it flat with a rolling pin. I rolled it out thin deliberately so it would dry faster in the sun.  What came out was a firm, thin  "pancake" which I put on a piece of cardboard to dry in the hot sun on the dashboard of my car. This pancake looked like some sort of poor-man's hashish. Later in the day, the thin pancakes had dried, and also turned slightly brown. To my surprise, it looked like "horse plop" that had been run over by a car. 

An old saying came to mind:

Quality is like buying oats:

Quality is like buying oats -if you want nice, clean oats, you must pay a fair price; however - if you're satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse - such oats can be had a little cheaper!!
~Anonymous.

Well, back in the '60's, we didn't generally have quality bud available. One smoked whatever was available. There's no question that bud is nice, but some of us old-timers still like to roll up the weaker leaf, smoke a little more, and get a little less wasted, avoiding "couch lock", etc.

With the genetics available these days, even the weaker leaf now has more than enough potency to make an old-timer happy, even after being run through the juicer.

I'm quite satisfied with the "oats (MMJ) that has been through the horse" (Champion Juicer) and find it hilarious too that it looks just like something you'd find on the side of the road in Amish country. Talk about hiding something in plain sight! A person could have a horse trailer or barn full of this stuff and no one would pay it any mind. Hmm.........Anyway,I like being able to crumble up a chunk of this dried "plop" and fill the bowl of my briar tobacco pipe, puffing that for several minutes while I sit on the porch and watch the sun set. it's a nice, mellow high that doesn't leave me disfunctional, and pairs well with a glass of wine, can of beer, or whatever.

Oh, I'm not forgetting the cost either. I used to buy pipe tobacco. I was addicted to that and it became increasingly expensive due to taxes. I gave up tobacco years ago. Now, I find a lot more enjoyment in this byproduct from my juicer. I realize it's healthier to vape or do a "one-hitter" using high quality bud or wax, but there's a lot to be said for old-school.

Am I alone in my preference? 

My leaves and overages will never again go on the compost pile.

~impatient :-)

Did the juice get you high or did you feel any curative effect from drinking it if it didn't get you high? The video that started off the topic claimed juicing won't get you high, but a later video said if you made smoothies in a certain way you would get high. Have you ever made the smoothies described in the above video?

There is always a percentage of the THC-A that decarboxylates simply with age and drying. So juicing raw cannabis will in fact deliver some decarbed THC and have potentially noticeable psychoactive effects.

Dr. Courtney recommends raw juicing because it can deliver much higher doses of THC-A and other useful cannabinoids (while minimizing the debilitating psychoactive effects of THC) than smoking dry bud or eating cooked edibles. 

Did the juice get you high or did you feel any curative effect from drinking it if it didn't get you high? The video that started off the topic claimed juicing won't get you high, but a later video said if you made smoothies in a certain way you would get high. Have you ever made the smoothies described in the above video?

I never tried making the smoothies. A couple of my mature plants got knocked over and were damaged so I decided to juice them right away to eliminate unexpected overages. Both plants were partially into flower. I ended up with 2 quarts of juice in addition to the pulp that the juice machine expelled. Keep in mind that I added a little bit of water to the leaves when feeding them into the Champion Juicer. I drank the juice "straight", drinking 1 quart immediately and then the other quart the next day. I didn't experience any "high", and the juice really flushed out my digestive tract. I like raw cabbage juice too, and that produces the same laxative effect for me. The cannabis juice did not have much of a smell when I made it and drank it, but oh boy, did it ever smell strongly of flowering bud when it came out! Sorry if that sounds weird, but that's what I experienced. A quart all at once of any raw vegetable juice is a lot of juice to consume. I can't say that I experienced any immediate health benefit from the juice. Perhaps there is some sort of delayed benefit. I don't know. I will certainly do it again in the future and I really like the "poor man's hashish cakes" using the leftover pulp. Next time, I also plan to experiment with heating and consuming a smaller quantity of the raw juice along with some coconut milk.

This is really interesting! After watching Dr. William Courtney's videos like the one I posted above, I tend to believe what he says is true just like mishigami bear mentions. Project CBD just recently put out an article on THCA that makes sense to me too. I plan to try this as soon as I can start growing myself.

I used to get high back in the very early 1970s and haven't been high since 1977. It's kind of scary that you can juice today's cannabis and smoke the pulp for a high similar to the 1970s. We use to think the tar hash from Germany (it probably originated in Afghanistan) was the greatest back than. A friend from back than who still smokes told me today's cannabis is far superior to that tar hash.

at least we now know that drinking a quart or two of leaf and bud juice wont hurt ya!

the champion juicer is a slow rpm juicer right?

most people i think are used to the high rpm juicers.

the high rpm juicers are good for carrots or firm vegetables, but the low rpm juicers are much better for leaves, cannabis or otherwise.

wish i could drink a weed juice every day.

at least we now know that drinking a quart or two of leaf and bud juice wont hurt ya!

the champion juicer is a slow rpm juicer right?

most people i think are used to the high rpm juicers.

the high rpm juicers are good for carrots or firm vegetables, but the low rpm juicers are much better for leaves, cannabis or otherwise.

wish i could drink a weed juice every day.

The Champion is a little slower rpm. and it really is a heavy duty machine.  If drying and smoking the pulp is not desired, then leaf can be juiced at the same time together with carrot or any other high-moisture fruit or vegetable instead of dipping the cannabis leaves in plain water. Drink the juice, but the resulting pulp will have a consistency similar to applesauce and can be eaten too for it's "roughage". There are endless recipes that can be tried such as cannabis/carrot/orange, cannabis/beet, cannabis/pineapple, etc. etc. Also the Champion comes with a solid plate that can be used in place of the juice screen. Using the solid plate instead of the juice screen, frozen fruit can be ground up to make a sort of "ice cream" with frozen bananas, frozen strawberries, etc. and it would be easy to add raw plant leaves to such a mix to make a variety of frozen cannabis desserts. Cannabis popsicles with 100% organic mango anyone? YUM!

Yes, I could drink the juice every day too.