1000W Hps Problem

so i just put a brand new hortiluix 1000w hps into my reflectior which is a magnum xxxl the 8in one i have an 8in hyper fan truned all the way up. the problem im having is i dont have height to my advantage my basemest is 6ft high i have my hood as high donkey it will go when the 1000w is on its too hot i think my plant is showing sighns of heat stress. but i put a digi thermomator right in the middle of the hood right by the glass half an inch away and it says 72f and the plant was about 6 in away from the glass on the reflector. the room i have is completely drywalled it also has celing and floor and carbon filter on the celling. and an 8 in intake which is also a hyper fan and 2 16' wall mount fans one on each side. i guess my  questions are can i still use this 1000w with shorter plants? and if not can i dim it down to 600w i have lumatek digi ballast? also the room is 8ft long by 5ft wide by 6ft tall i also have another light in there it is a 600w hortilux in the same kind of hood im using that now. anything will be helpful. i aslo have a 6in intake coming from outside and it gos to the room where my flower room intake and veg room intake are and theres a fan in there moving cold air around

Can you put the taller plants under the 600w and the shorter ones under the 1000w? Some of the strains out there these days have been bred to perform in low light conditions. Some of my strains do better farther away from the lights, believe it or not. Also, you can bend the tops of the tall plants and tie them down to keep them away from the lights.

Edited by amish4ganja

Do a shorter veg time, you should already know about the height they are now when you change over to bud, do less veg and that may leave you enough room to budd, with minum tie downs. to be honest I wish I had your problems, lol,,

Play around with veg times, no dont even take any cola's off if you dont have to, although I do beleive in taking alot of the top buds at the end of the cycle and letting the lower ones stay on a lil longer to see if they get a growth spurt, but if you dont have enough room for that tie em down and enjoy!

There is absolutly nothing wrong with bending branches away down from the light, I always hang my thermo and humidity gage down at the top of the plants,  I grow in tents, I use 600 watts, Im thinking of going down to 400 watt, Im glad I bought one ballast that can do hps and mh and 600 and 400 watt, Im betting t5's would be best for my situation, and I have them also, that is what I use in veg, and when I move them from veg to bud, I always get a lil bit of a stunt period, but it all comes back in the end!

If I had a very large grow I would use all 600 watt over 1k they say the light is best and it is way more cost effective, no loss of quality to the crop!

Peace

I have both 1k and 600 watt lights in my flower room. The difference I can measure between the two is penetration. A LUX meter shows useable light farther down the plant with a 1ooowatt than a 600 watt. grow habits can alter this, for instance lollipopping, scrog, etc.  4 600 waters will cover more plants than 3 1000 waters, with less btu, making the 600 watters the win. I still use the 1k lights/ballasts, often dimmed, otherwise I'd have to admit the wasted money and the higher ac bills right..  When they die, 600watts will replace them.

have you been growing these under the 1k light the whole time?

did you just 'transplant' them from t5s ? the plants need time to adjust to big increases in light sometimes... are they properly watered? proper humidity? proper wind/fan?

no i start under a 4ft 4 bulb flouro and then ive been moving some of my plants to my 4x4 tent under a 400w mh then i switch it to a 600w mh and then under my 600w hps and right next to that is my 1000w hps i only used it for a week andi started noticeing heat stress so i moved it back under the 600. yes the are also properly watered i use promix and for the most part 10 and 7 gallon pots i just now started using smaller pots like 5 gallons becase its such a pain for me to tell when i need to flush a plant plus it takes awhile in the 10 gallon i water them 1 time every 2 weeks. i have 2 16 in wall mount fan one on each side of the room and im only using one right now. the temp is 69f with the 600w on and with both lights its 74f and the humidity is always 30% is that good?

Lumatek has dimmable and select-a-watt models. If your dial is measured with percentages, then it is dimmable and you can dim your 1000w. If your dial shows watt numbers, then you must match watts with bulb and dial (Usually 400, 600 and 1000)

all my ballast are lumatek digis i think they are very good and reliable also thank you for anwsering this i was stumped on this for awhile trying to figure out if i needed to buy another lightbulb

I have both 1k and 600 watt lights in my flower room. The difference I can measure between the two is penetration. A LUX meter shows useable light farther down the plant with a 1ooowatt than a 600 watt. grow habits can alter this, for instance lollipopping, scrog, etc.  4 600 waters will cover more plants than 3 1000 waters, with less btu, making the 600 watters the win. I still use the 1k lights/ballasts, often dimmed, otherwise I'd have to admit the wasted money and the higher ac bills right..  When they die, 600watts will replace them.

haha right i love 600 watt lights this is my first time using 1000w i just figured it would increase resin prodution and yeild and shorten flower time thats why i was trying 1000w

temps are perfect. but .... what are the signs you think are heat stress?

if you can put your hand above the plants while the light is on, and your hand doesnt burn, then its not light burn.

is it possible you are seeing some other stress issue?

can you snap a few pics for us to judge?

30% rh eh? might want to get a second opinion on that. just to make sure thats not too dry, depending on what stage your plants are in. 

If the humidity is too low, then your cannabis plants are going to do a lot of transpiring and it will play havoc with their transportation systems. They will lose a lot of water and begin to exhibit the damage usually caused by dryness – stunted new leaves, shriveling old leaves and dying flowers.

by vertical pic book means to rotate the lamp so the bulb is not horizontal (e.g. the bulb is pointing to the horizon) and instead point it so the bulb is pointing to the ground (vertical). this reduces the light mondo so its not recommended for most growers, unless you have really bad height/space issues or are growing some weird 360 setup.

no i start under a 4ft 4 bulb flouro and then ive been moving some of my plants to my 4x4 tent under a 400w mh then i switch it to a 600w mh and then under my 600w hps and right next to that is my 1000w hps i only used it for a week andi started noticeing heat stress so i moved it back under the 600. yes the are also properly watered i use promix and for the most part 10 and 7 gallon pots i just now started using smaller pots like 5 gallons becase its such a pain for me to tell when i need to flush a plant plus it takes awhile in the 10 gallon i water them 1 time every 2 weeks. i have 2 16 in wall mount fan one on each side of the room and im only using one right now. the temp is 69f with the 600w on and with both lights its 74f and the humidity is always 30% is that good?

Try using smaller pots. You will be pleasantly surprised at how much easier it is to manage the grow and you won't give up much in yield. I have grown four footers in one gallon long pots. I think plants perform better in long pots.

I second the one or two gallon grow bags for a cheap easy way to manage. They will need daily watering maybe, unlike a 5pail. I move my plants around by the trunks.

Most of what I do is a strict 60 day harvest, 2-3 ounces dried, about 36 inches tall, topped, multi cola, lollipopped. I don't fuss with under growth anymore, or stray single buds. I want four tight straight colas per plant these days.

I second the one or two gallon grow bags for a cheap easy way to manage. They will need daily watering maybe, unlike a 5pail. I move my plants around by the trunks.

Most of what I do is a strict 60 day harvest, 2-3 ounces dried, about 36 inches tall, topped, multi cola, lollipopped. I don't fuss with under growth anymore, or stray single buds. I want four tight straight colas per plant these days.

thats also what i would like my plants are around your size mine i try to get mine in busheses and cut everything from the bootom or inside that isnt getting light i useally yeild 3-4 ounces dried thats just with the two 600w hps but i really wannna use 2000w

• 4 months later...

sorry but what do you mean vertical?

Even though your temps are good ( in the 70's)... Too close to the bulb will still bring about light burn... Intensity is too high, along w the uv output to boot. It will show as burnt growth, just like a nute def or overdose would look... And if really bad will go to bleaching.

Going vertical has the bulb up/down (no hood) vs sideways (w reflector). Its a very good way to grow w 6' ceilings, as you almost cant do that very well w a traditional set up and 1k. You circle the bare bulb with plants at about a 2' radius from the bulb, with 6 or so plants, growing them out bushier. It has its specific techniques to accomplish, but yields will be as good if not greater... If done well. Great suggestion by picbook for your situation.