Slow Soak In Butane?

I know nobody makes oil extractions anymore, but thought I'd ask out of curiosity if anyone has ever tried to make BHO by soaking the material in butane rather than just blast it through a tube.

A couple of years ago, when we had a stretch of very cold weather, I thought I'd give it a try.  I took a 1-quart canning jar and poked two holes in the lid.  One hole was to squirt the butane in and the other to allow the pressure to vent.  It was less than 0 degrees F outside when I tried it.  I set the jar full of material and butane under the cover of my grill outdoors for 3-4 days.  Hardly any butane evaporated.  I then took off the lid and secured a coffee filter to the jar using the lid ring and finished the process as usual. 

I never kept good notes on extractions, and I didn't see a noticeable difference in quality or yield but I'm not sure I'd notice that anyway.  At a minimum, I didn't have any dry spots in the material like I've seen when using a tube.

Anyone else every try this? 

Edited by Highlander

yes, precise controlled exposures. soaking for long periods will result in other cannabis constituents being extracted along with active ones. This added weight, while attractive on a scale, will ultimately lower the "potency" of product by weight. The added items may include waxes, which are tasty. Temperatures of material, solvent, exposure time all allow different targeting. Your cold weather affected your outcome, and improved your results. Warmed, and you would possibly have a pile of tasty goo that wont ever harden up.  a thirty second sealed exposure is a long one.

I know nobody makes oil extractions anymore, but thought I'd ask out of curiosity if anyone has ever tried to make BHO by soaking the material in butane rather than just blast it through a tube.

A couple of years ago, when we had a stretch of very cold weather, I thought I'd give it a try.  I took a 1-quart canning jar and poked two holes in the lid.  One hole was to squirt the butane in and the other to allow the pressure to vent.  It was less than 0 degrees F outside when I tried it.  I set the jar full of material and butane under the cover of my grill outdoors for 3-4 days.  Hardly any butane evaporated.  I then took off the lid and secured a coffee filter to the jar using the lid ring and finished the process as usual. 

I never kept good notes on extractions, and I didn't see a noticeable difference in quality or yield but I'm not sure I'd notice that anyway.  At a minimum, I didn't have any dry spots in the material like I've seen when using a tube.

Anyone else every try this? 

If you do it enough you will know exactly what amount of butane to use for your extractors, I have one that 2 cans leaves no dry spots, and another that uses 1 can and leaves no dry spots,

I used to use one that held like 4 oz it took over 4 cans and even then I had a large dry area in the mm when I dumped it, It realy is stupid to have an extractor that takes 4 cans or more, so I quit using that one, and made a few smaller ones, I ran the 2 can one in one pyrex and than I reran the same tube with the already ran mm and I used 1 can, I did this thru a full run, the first run was awsome, the 2nd run came out black and didnt have enough of anything to do anything with, meaning it was junk, so I always use the same amount of butane in the same amount of sugar leafs and small budds, and it always comes out nice!

Peace

the tami holds two oz of ground(flour sifter) cannabis. the tane tank hold 400grams of liquid T. the first couple hundred are put through at steady rate, near dumped. Its packed and sealed, and there is internal vacuum at the other end sucking the T through the grind. The second couple hundred grams is dumped immediately after the first has evacuated the grind, seen with a digi laser thermo, about 10 minutes.   I think there is 88 grams in a normal size store can for reference, but those come in different sizes of course.

The T tank is then chilled, while the res tank with tane and the preparations thereof contained is gently warmed to around 100-110F, which excites the T inside and creates a safe pressure, seen with a gauge. Connected with a stainless steel/nickel connectors the cold on one side and warm on the other creates simultaneous pressure and vacuum causing the T to immediately evaporate to the T tank, leaving the rest behind for collection. When 400 grams returns to the tank for the next use,  the preparation is complete and RTU.

so that's what I read at the website anyways.

the tami holds two oz of ground(flour sifter) cannabis. the tane tank hold 400grams of liquid T. the first couple hundred are put through at steady rate, near dumped. Its packed and sealed, and there is internal vacuum at the other end sucking the T through the grind. The second couple hundred grams is dumped immediately after the first has evacuated the grind, seen with a digi laser thermo, about 10 minutes.   I think there is 88 grams in a normal size store can for reference, but those come in different sizes of course.

The T tank is then chilled, while the res tank with tane and the preparations thereof contained is gently warmed to around 100-110F, which excites the T inside and creates a safe pressure, seen with a gauge. Connected with a stainless steel/nickel connectors the cold on one side and warm on the other creates simultaneous pressurone day it e and vacuum causing the T to immediately evaporate to the T tank, leaving the rest behind for collection. When 400 grams returns to the tank for the next use,  the preparation is complete and RTU.

so that's what I read at the website anyways.

Yeah I do ALOT of reading also just wish more people with exsperiance would could should, be able to come together to talk about protocol, safty and other aspects of this subject to further progress. I mean Thats the real deal med. Having the cronic adhd, I can read something 12times and some days it makes sence others it seems to be no bother. Reading alot latley about tinctures.....

:gym: I mean you never know about rullings in the future. Rather be up to par then left in the dust..I know a few things..But always looking to improve, Or I wonder about Research and development legal???? if the product isnt used or for intended use...just testing../

Just get some dry ice and you can do this no problem. Shoot into your jar like said, let sit in the dry ice chest and soak for like twenty minutes, then filter out your plant material. Then Mix the remaining liquid with equal parts grain alcohol and let it sit in a cooler of dry ice for a day or so. Filter it out and evaporate it off. What you'll be left with is called an absolute. Dewaxed and everything.

yup in theory. dewaxing into the stainless superchilled vessel works good..as far as evaping the alchol, afterward just cant get that "snap"..Think patients is a vertue...Any recomendations of a inline vapor filter? Like you would put between a pump and degassing chambo..? If its not "rite" always the tincture..

• 3 weeks later...

those are interesting results, thanks for that link !

I've never seen a can of any butane that didn't leave behind residue.

Lab grade N butane leaves no measurable residuals, or mystery oils.

high grade bubble?  how can I make my bubble hash as concentrated as a concrete using nbutane for example?

bubble hash is loaded with the waxy stalks of the trichome heads at minimum, lowering the occurrence of active compounds by weight.

I'm pretty sure the folks here using butane do not "huff" the gas, lol.  butane evaporates at room temperature.  the residuals are a concern though, and a good point concerning cheap lighter fluid butane from the smoke shop.

my personal take, naptha was used for a long time to extract. lighter fluid at the same store is naptha. when naptha extractions went sour, folks just reached for the

"next lighter fluid", in the pressurized cans.

there is available now canned NButane at reasonable costs to the consumer. This product leaves NO residuals and is packaged with different regulations.

skunk pharm supposed the residual mystery oil was a lubricant used in the manufacturing or packaging of the can, or the machinery used to do so.

rick simpson claimed naptha extractions cured cancers.  how in the heck would we know if the naptha itself wasn't partially responsible for his results? its been used in medicine for eons.

thanks again for that link, I appreciate when posters go the extra mile to show these things. imagine the costs this guy incurred just to get picked on by other posters for his efforts, sad.

btw-"5x filtered"....means a mechanical filtration designated to remove any solids like metal bits from the fluid, to facilitate proper lighter function. nothing to do with how pure the 13 gases are in the can

Edited by grassmatch

with a coffee filter silly :yahoo-wave:

(I guess they use screens as filters to capture solids in the liquid.)

pretty soon you'll see the man (dating) of mercaptan or the like  in all store butane to stop the madness.

only a few folks have capability to distill the liquid, and recapture it for later use. the man already stopped the couple gas suppliers from selling ntane to the public without a permit. only a matter of time I think

Edited by grassmatch

Yes butane does evape at room temps. The problem is that the waxy material is so thick that butane does end up trapped in there. I no longer smoke the stuff as you dont know for sure what is left. While you may not huff the butane off the bottle if you are smoking dabs there is a very good chance that it wasn't p[urged properly. Honestly to me, there is no properly. I have known folks with tumiziums to run hexane through the chamber instead of butane. I am not a chemist and do not know how that would affect some one.

If all the butane was removed from the wax/shatter it shouldn't have any bubbles in it.

The best hash I have ever had was Ice bubble. If you prevent it from oxidizing it stays white. The person I learned it from was offered 100 for a half gram of it. He said no. it is that good. That being said I am not sure that I have ever had any real co2 extracted meds.

bubble hash is loaded with the waxy stalks of the trichome heads at minimum, lowering the occurrence of active compounds by weight.

I'

Link to proof of this? 

If true, bubble hash could easily be purified via recrystallization in ethanol. aka winterization.

If bubble hash were contaminated with said waxes and whatever else, peaks would show in a spectrograph representing these compounds.  Maybe you're smoking material out of the wrong micron bag...

http://analytical360.com/m/concentrates/353845

Edited by garyfisher

hexane works well to extract from cannabis, but Nbutane is the correct polarity.

considering I've never heard of a cold evaporation, I've found 100% of the butane will evaporate quickly in the process.

x weight solvent in, and the same x weight solvent out, theres lists of solvents from iso to dlimonene that will do the job, with varying targeted constituents.

butane is usually advertised as refined not filtered.  They refine butane by fractional distillation, just like you would separate ethanol from methanol and other contaminates in moonshine.

you are correct, but I see cans with the word 5x filtered" in the local smoke shop, and wanted to clarify the meaning.

theres still a dozen different gases in a can, regardless of their refine. and one must wonder why 5 times refined would not remove residuals from that long list of butane suppliers.??

Link to proof of this? 

If true, bubble hash could easily be purified via recrystallization in ethanol. aka winterization.

If bubble hash were contaminated with said waxes and whatever else, peaks would show in a spectrograph representing these compounds.  Maybe you're smoking material out of the wrong micron bag...

http://analytical360.com/m/concentrates/353845

I get picked on when I paste proof. so here ya go friend.

the micron screens do not burst the waxy trichome heads to facilitate their capture. They are "graded" by size of trichome heads, whole ones. The result is trichome heads, then melted maybe, or just used as is. still wax though. sure it can be further refined, but using solvents to do this would be full circle solvent use, which the poster wishes to avoid.

no proof is necessary to show that bubble hash is exactly waxy trichome heads with active ingredients contained within.