Michigan Senate Judiciary Committee Considers Amendments To The Mmma

On Tuesday, February 10th, 2015 at 3 pm, the Michigan Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a meeting for three senate bills to be discussed. While two of them deal with elder abuse, the third is a bill to alter the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act. Senate Bill 72 which was introduced on January 29th is sponsored entirely by Republican Senators, which include Senators Rick Jones, James Marleau, Peter MacGregor, Tonya Schuitmaker, Wayne Schmidt, Mary Knollenberg and Dale Zorn. The full text of the bill can be read here.

SB 72 is essentially the rebirth of a similar bill that failed to pass last year titled SB 783.  Unfortunately, some of the proposed amendments to the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act of 2008 would not be particularly beneficial to the state’s medical marijuana community. Last year, lobbyists and activists worked long hours to strike some of the language from SB783, but a new legislative session means the ability to re-introduce the original language under a new name in the hopes it will pass the Senate again this year with a larger majority.

For example, the bill, as it is written currently, would specifically permit landlord discrimination against medical marijuana patients, as long as the lease discloses their intention to do so. That means that landlords will have the option of adding a clause to their lease banning the smoking or cultivation of cannabis on the premises. The language of this legislation does not specifically indicate that the ban would only apply to the indoor spaces of buildings but is vague enough that outdoor spaces could also be subject to the same restriction, essentially allowing landlords to discriminate against medical marijuana users. However, some supporters of the bill within the community insist that this legislation would not be discriminatory, as cannabis users would still have the option of vaporizing or consuming medibles.

“I’m physically unable to use vaporizers,” says Jenny Read, a medical marijuana patient who suffers from leukodystrophy that rents in Lansing. When asked about medibles, she replied, “I don’t like that they are not controlled, unpredictable.”

That is a sentiment echoed by others. Shannon Sherner, another Lansing tenant, has also found it difficult to obtain reliable medibles and ensure a proper dose. “After attempting medibles, I learned that it is hard to find the proper dose needed, as well as uneasy to obtain consistent edibles…Also not having the knowledge of how to properly make medibles has deferred me away from it.” Much like Read, Sterner does not feel like vaporizing is an option for her at this time. “When it comes to vaporizong, I think its a great idea, but its not as simple as it sounds either. Without the proper knowledge and materials, which tend to cost quite a bit, I found it next to impossible for me to easily and safely medicate (that way).”

The proposed changes would also expand the public smoking restrictions of the Act. As of now, smoking medical marijuana is banned in public places, but the amended language would additionally prohibit smoking on any portion of all private properties that is open to the public and on whole private property, where the owner has established its ban.

Those who wish to attend this important committee meeting to demonstrate a polite solidarity with the state’s medical cannabis community should arrive at least 15minutes early for the 3:00 meeting. It will be held in Room 110 of the Farnum Building located at 125 W. Allegan Street in Lansing, 48933. If special accommodations are needed, attendees can contact the office of the Committee Chair, Rick Jones, for assistance. Remember that those present will serve as representatives for the medical cannabis community, and should comport themselves accordingly.

http://hybrid.life/michigan-senate-judiciary-committee-considers-amendments-to-the-mmma/

Edited by bobandtorey

However, some supporters of the bill within the community insist that this legislation would not be discriminatory, as cannabis users would still have the option of vaporizing or consuming medibles.

Except for the fact that usable edibles are essentially illegal. Unless you use whole plant matter and only make one at a time.

Suggestions for Jones bill from patients wanting better access to medical marijuana? Thanks for your work but you know how stupid that sounds when you understand Jones and the other powerful players involved, unless you are law enforcement. There will never be enough empty promises of sweetness to make opening the Act a good idea or worth while. We are flogged automatically if anything ever passes. 

Well Resto, do you know how stupid your post seems when you consider that Sen Jones has taken our suggestion?

You told me there was NO DOUBT these bills would pass last year. Do you know how little creds you have now when you tell me that Jones really wants to do something good for us? I think you are wrong again. But thanks for trying to soften the wording. And please don't step on me in the process with far fetched BS about Jones looking out for us.

Edited by Restorium2

OK So lets get all the dirty laundry on the table. He also said the governor was dealing with us in good faith right before the governor went on record lying about a plantation style marijuana grow in a shared dorm room without even a closet to hide the plantation in. The governor is a lying grow hater.  Ah, fresh air and realness all around ...

Change one thing and everything changes.

I wonder if Snyder would have been as successful if his roommate hadn't had the plantation?

Ever seen the dorm rooms at U of M? Ever switch rooms in mid semester? The plantation was a lie so he can fit with his cronies in power, grow haters. A group of bullies telling whoppers to support their hate. I bet the governor was grinning while he was lying and bullying us. It's in style.

Ever seen the dorm rooms at U of M? Ever switch rooms in mid semester? The plantation was a lie so he can fit with his cronies in power, grow haters. A group of bullies telling whoppers to support their hate. I bet the governor was grinning while he was lying and bullying us. It's in style.

I agree he was lying and to go on TV and lie like that something going on here

Never mistake this legislature and its members are not our friends, allies or buddies in any form or mistaken fashion.

This was merely about neutering Jones' bill back to its somewhat neutered form from last session.  The community killed his bill last session and he is still a bit bitter about it to say the least. :devil:

But, he will keep trying and keep going.

They will also come after making the trunk transportation bill part of the MMMAct this session.

They will also come after unemployment benefits for patients.

The giant dispensaries and grow interests are coming after the Act. 

The police and prosecutors wish to get rid of home growing.  They are finding ears in the legislature and certain dispensary interests that agree.

Trust me.  They are always coming after us and the Act. Endlessly.  They do not like us. Republican politicians completely suck. The Police Suck. The Sheriffs suck. Jones sucks.  They all suck.  Bad people. Even People from "our" side supposedly.  I tend to hate them all.  Sometimes I wish I had the time to explain everything that happens,  but if you actually know me, when I tell you how much these people suck,... you would totally believe me and understand. :-)

Oh i believe you 

The police and prosecutors wish to get rid of home growing

and i agree also Leo doesn't want people growing cannabis in there homes at all they want it the way things where before 2008 opening up the Act is the plan and it's going to happen Change is coming i am not even sure any longer if we can stop it because so many are too busy growing and making money to even care they say i'll just make the $$$ now while i still can and worry later 

Never mistake this legislature and its members are not our friends, allies or buddies in any form or mistaken fashion.

This was merely about neutering Jones' bill back to its somewhat neutered form from last session.  The community killed his bill last session and he is still a bit bitter about it to say the least. :devil:

But, he will keep trying and keep going.

They will also come after making the trunk transportation bill part of the MMMAct this session.

They will also come after unemployment benefits for patients.

The police and prosecutors wish to get rid of home growing.  They are finding ears in the legislature and certain dispensary interests that agree.

Trust me.  They are always coming after us and the Act. Endlessly.  They do not like us. Republican politicians completely suck. The Police Suck. The Sheriffs suck. Jones sucks.  They all suck.  Bad people. Even People from "our" side supposedly.  I tend to hate them all.  Sometimes I wish I had the time to explain everything that happens,  but if you actually know me, when I tell you how much these people suck,... you would totally believe me and understand. :-)

The only out I see is a hand written letter campaign getting republicans to write for us if we write for guns or something.  We are divided, period, all interests are just that, interests.  Nothing is going to be done for the people unless they stick up for each other and DEMAND what we want.  Every compassion club should be on this, every dispense, caregiver and patient.  It's the way it is for a reason, legal or not.

I can't believe we filled offices over a law on the transport of PETS from state to state.  We filled their offices with boxes and boxes(albeit this was the whole country) and they had no choice but to see it.  We successfully got our reps to drop a bill with nothing but letters.  Repubs and dems all banded together to stop the gov't from making state to state transport of animals illegal.  It's been 20+ years since tehre have been writing campaigns  It's the one thing that scares them.  If people, in this day and age, take time to write a letter, it's like playing the apocalypse now theme coming out of the sunset first thing in the morning.  They get scared.  It's something they most likely haven't seen before and it scares them.

Edited by Norby

ah bob, your advice and opinion are the best around, you have the experience not many have. you know exactly what is going on, more than the governor and president even! i bet they dont know how many people are in court right now for marijuana.

dont want anyone to get burned out. stay happy everyone1