Opinions On Spinpro?

Highlander

Yes I use a Nikon D600 - simply awesome.  The camera is all about GPS, etc. but I can avoid the details.  Then I import pics to photoshop and scrub the details.   I just don't know how to post pics as I've never done it before.  If you have some pointers as to uploading/posting, it would be helpful. 

Grab the direct link off of photobucket and paste it here. Then you are in total control of it at all times. Just kill the link at photobucket when you want it gone.

Grab the direct link off of photobucket and paste it here. Then you are in total control of it at all times. Just kill the link at photobucket when you want it gone.

OK test run to see if I have it figured out.

http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/ae_mds/media/MMJ/bb.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=96732760&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=1

Just last week I was explaining to one of my patients how careful I am while I'm trimming to not knock anything off so he gets the whole deal with his buds. I guess some folks shake some good stuff off the buds they are going to sell and keep it for themselves. Some patients appreciate the gentle treatment of their buds. 

I am not denying the beauty and desirability of hand manicured, kind of a no brainier there imho.

I have seen hand trimmed bud at disp that also looked keifed, shrug... so, there are those that will choose to scam others...

no matter the scene... just a fact, I can't change that.  I am a realist.

In my exp. w/ machine trimmed bud or even hand trimmed bud that isn't tightly trimmed is that it's more harsh to smoke.

That is what got me to trimming out the longer leaves.  I found the smoke was smoother.

As a pt, I would like to know if a cg uses a machine.

@ Highlander

I am curious as to the amount of meds you trimmed to get that amount of keif.

Did you scrape it up and weigh it?

Have you examined individual buds b4 and after w/ a loupe to see just how much of the trichomes were knocked off?

I've had great experience with a HTG knock off Trim pro.  I call it the salad shooter.  Of course you wont trim the colas with this but anything smaller than my thumb goes into it.  Sure you lose some Tricomes but my buds usually have A LOT more tricomes than what half of the caregivers around here are trying to pass as medical.  I dont use it often and prefer to hand manicure most of the time.

I am not denying the beauty and desirability of hand manicured, kind of a no brainier there imho.

I have seen hand trimmed bud at disp that also looked keifed, shrug... so, there are those that will choose to scam others...

no matter the scene... just a fact, I can't change that.  I am a realist.

In my exp. w/ machine trimmed bud or even hand trimmed bud that isn't tightly trimmed is that it's more harsh to smoke.

That is what got me to trimming out the longer leaves.  I found the smoke was smoother.

As a pt, I would like to know if a cg uses a machine.

@ Highlander

I am curious as to the amount of meds you trimmed to get that amount of keif.

Did you scrape it up and weigh it?

Have you examined individual buds b4 and after w/ a loupe to see just how much of the trichomes were knocked off?

I have no solid answer to hyour questions but I'd estimate that the residue in the bowl was from about 10-12 oz of buds once dried. Just by visual observation, I'd guess that the keif in the bowl is about as much as I'd find on my nitrile gloves if I hand-trimmed the same plants.

No doubt that hand-trimmed is preferable. But, maybe if done right, mechanical trimming can be a close second.

I grow only for myself, but lack the eyesight, physical dexterity and patience to hand trim anything other than maybe the top buds,  I ordered a trimmer on ebay that was supposed to just be a manual crank model, but opened the box to find the motorized version of the same trimmer (with crank for any machine crank purists, or for when the motor fails).  Like the original poster using a drill to turn the spinner, it beats the hell out of even the cranking method. I wouldn't change back, but do want to try the old hanging and drying on the stalk method.

i have used my spin pro for years.certain strains work better or worse in it.i have never hooked a drill to mine.i crank the handle 25 times around and am done with that bowl.i use the blades ,not the wires and am on my second blade in 5 years.i do have to sharpen it after each use.i clean the screen and the bowl with iso alcohol every time.i do not get it perfect but it is not hard to get it way cleaner then the one in the first video in this thread.if you have alot of smaller bud it saves you alot of time and hand aches.how you  prep the buds before going into the bowl makes a big difference.i cut all bigger buds into smaller buds.i try for golf ball size flowers or  smaller.

I feel that what ever process a person chooses ultimately is their choice. 

I sew and any extended amount of scissor work will have my hand clawed up for days.

I've never trimmed much cannabis yet I can imagine what it would do to my hands.

@AAinAA

No one is to be in the presence of the plants except the cg and the pt.

How to you get a community together to trim when it isn't legal?

I hate when I see auto trimmed flower. I think it is better to bring in the community to help trim or just do a staggered take down. Flufff nugs go to hash and eddibles. Dont disrespect the flower. Tumbling is for tools.......

I got a chuckle out of this post because yesterday I met with a patient and delivered my first crop trimmed with the spin pro. He had two friends over who are also patients. We talked about how I just bought a trimmer, the other two guys had an opinion like yours. But they praised how nice my buds looked and asked me why I'd want to stoop to using a trimmer. Then I told them that the buds they had been praising were trimmed in the spin pro.

Edited by Highlander

I got a chuckle out of this post because yesterday I met with a patient and delivered my first crop trimmed with the spin pro. He had two friends over who are also patients. We talked about how I just bought a trimmer, the other two guys had an opinion like yours. But they praised how nice my buds looked and asked me why I'd want to stoop to using a trimmer. Then I told them that the buds they had been praising were trimmed in the spin pro.

They did look good in the pic. But I've been trimming all day by hand and I still can't see how it can do what I do without eyes to spot the base of each stem and cut it there. It's a very precise cut. 

They did look good in the pic. But I've been trimming all day by hand and I still can't see how it can do what I do without eyes to spot the base of each stem and cut it there. It's a very precise cut.

I totally agree. I just don't see much of a downside to leaving that bit of stem, especially considering it is covered in trichomes.

I feel that what ever process a person chooses ultimately is their choice. 

I sew and any extended amount of scissor work will have my hand clawed up for days.

I've never trimmed much cannabis yet I can imagine what it would do to my hands.

@AAinAA

No one is to be in the presence of the plants except the cg and the pt.

How to you get a community together to trim when it isn't legal?

Thanks for pointing this out. I could cut off eight fingers on a table saw and still be able to count on one hand the number of people who I'd invite over to trim.

I totally agree. I just don't see much of a downside to leaving that bit of stem, especially considering it is covered in trichomes.

Because stems aren't usable marihuana! What if those trichomes from the stem wind up in a brownie? Time and space would collapse in upon itself and all existence would be obliterated in the blink of an eye.

I jest but the point is valid. The trichomes you refer to are exactly the "resin" referenced in Carruthers. If they had just said "I made a preparation of the leaves and flowers" would we have a better edible ruling today? I don't know. I do know, as a patient, I won't acknowledge any trichomes on anything other than leaf or flower material or the preparations made exclusively from those components.

I wonder how forensics would determine if kief was made from stems or flower. I know the users of this forum could figure it out real fast. I mean the scientists the State would use.

Because stems aren't usable marihuana! What if those trichomes from the stem wind up in a brownie? Time and space would collapse in upon itself and all existence would be obliterated in the blink of an eye.

I jest but the point is valid. The trichomes you refer to are exactly the "resin" referenced in Carruthers. If they had just said "I made a preparation of the leaves and flowers" would we have a better edible ruling today? I don't know. I do know, as a patient, I won't acknowledge any trichomes on anything other than leaf or flower material or the preparations made exclusively from those components.

I wonder how forensics would determine if kief was made from stems or flower. I know the users of this forum could figure it out real fast. I mean the scientists the State would use.

I'm not sure where you are going with this, but I thought I'd post a couple more pics.  If you are worried about stems,  then please understand that there are stems throughout the plant.  In the following pics, you will see a bud as trimmed by the spin pro and then the bud further broken down.  If you are seriously anti-stem. then I guess you think that caregivers should crumble-down their product to remove the stem?  I'm not being adversarial or insulting - just trying to figure our your perspective.  As you can see, the spin pro left only the central stem of the bud.  But let's say that there were a couple of other straggler stems that would normally get nipped by scissors.  Is that really a big deal considering that such stems are so much smaller than the stem in the bud?

http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/ae_mds/media/unadulterated%20bud.jpg.html?filters[user]=96732760&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/ae_mds/media/adulterated%20bud.jpg.html?filters[user]=96732760&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

I traveled with an Indian man who trimmed his with his fingers. It took forever but he plucked all the "offensive" vegetable material and when finished it looked great. Me? I scissor the b'cheesus out of each bud, flinging mess in every way. I trim the sticks to the main, and remove the leaves, at least to the buds. It takes me about 30 minutes to trim what results as four ounces. I figured that was fair and I've never had a complaint. During our interview subjects like this are well covered and agreed upon. By their first delivery they get exactly what they expect. some prefer loose trim, others tight. I prefer to see every hair standing up, with none trimmed or smashed away,and love the little sugar leaves I miss, but that's me. I've seen other growers squish their buds after drying for a day or two. It gave the bud a tight formation and some people fancy that rock hard flower feel.

I'm not sure where you are going with this, but I thought I'd post a couple more pics.  If you are worried about stems,  then please understand that there are stems throughout the plant.  In the following pics, you will see a bud as trimmed by the spin pro and then the bud further broken down.  If you are seriously anti-stem. then I guess you think that caregivers should crumble-down their product to remove the stem?  I'm not being adversarial or insulting - just trying to figure our your perspective.  As you can see, the spin pro left only the central stem of the bud.  But let's say that there were a couple of other straggler stems that would normally get nipped by scissors.  Is that really a big deal considering that such stems are so much smaller than the stem in the bud?

http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/ae_mds/media/unadulterated%20bud.jpg.html?filters[user]=96732760&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/ae_mds/media/adulterated%20bud.jpg.html?filters[user]=96732760&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

"I jest but the point is valid." - I'm not worried at all about what you are providing. As I have said numerous times, your people love it and what else matters?

I was tongue-in-cheek about a serious topic that you alluded to (albeit unintentionally) be asking "What can be wrong with providing people trichome covered stems?" me being the jerk and pedant that I am was able to find a connection to LEO having a problem with it based on Carruthers. I love stems, the big ones from the center of a juicy bud is awesome. Many fond memories of afternoons playing frisbee chewing on one.

You's all good in my book. If I ever seem like I'm giving you crap it is certainly a fault of my poor wording and not any feelings towards how you run your caregiving.

Thanks for the pictures to peruse! I just got a new 30x Loupe and I've been having a riotous time examining plant matter closely.

highlander,if 1st pic is from the spintrimmer.....awesome! looks fine to me.now, has anyone considered a dry trim in this machine?

First pic is from the trimmer after snapping off all of the leaves that snap off. You know how some won't snap but peel instead?

No way in he77 I'd try to run dry meds through this thing. It would be a disaster.