Police Seize Property And Cash In Questionable Raids

Thomas Williams was alone that November morning in 2013 when police raided his rural St. Joseph County home, wearing black masks, camouflage and holding guns at their sides. They broke down his front door with a battering ram.

"We think you're dealing marijuana," they told Williams, a 72-year-old, retired carpenter and cancer patient who is disabled and carries a medical marijuana card. 

When he protested, they handcuffed him and left him on the living room floor as they ransacked his home, emptying drawers, rummaging through closets and surveying his grow room, where he was nourishing his 12 personal marijuana plants as allowed by law. Some had recently begun to die, so he had cloned them and had new seedlings, although they were not yet planted. That, police insisted, put him over the limit.

They did not charge Williams with a crime, though.

Instead, they took his Dodge Journey, $11,000 in cash from his home, his television, his cell phone, his shotgun and are attempting to take his Colon Township home. And they plan to keep the proceeds, auctioning off the property and putting the cash in police coffers.

Read more here

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/02/22/civil-asset-forfeiture-michigan-seizures-aclu-heritage-foundation-institute-justice/23737663/

Edited by bobandtorey

How much would it cost (in legal fees) to fight back for recovery of property & damages? Is that even possible here?

It would seem to me that until such practices actually cost those depts money, they will keep on.

I know that in other states people have gotten cops to back off this way.

Depends on how far he is willing to take the case the Supreme Court ant cheep 

How much would it cost (in legal fees) to fight back for recovery of property & damages? Is that even possible here?

It would seem to me that until such practices actually cost those depts money, they will keep on.

I know that in other states people have gotten cops to back off this way.

Depending on the amount they seize is what a bond cost to procede in getting your property back, than add an attny on and most walk away, they took one of my mini vans in the 90's for a traffic stop and finding 15 vicodens in my glove box in a bottle with the lable ripped off!

I walked away with no charges and still lost my mini van! I was advised be an attny to let it go that it would be tough to get back and by the time I spend all I need to to get it back I could get a new vehicle!  so roseville cops got a mini van for their narco squad!

Peace

, where he was nourishing his 12 personal marijuana plants as allowed by law. Some had recently begun to die, so he had cloned them and had new seedlings, although they were not yet planted. That, police insisted, put him over the limit.

you dont cut clones and not put them in the sponge to start rooting, althought it sucks, this guy had more than his 12 plants, If I had a few dying I would clone it (maybe) and pull the one dying, than your no way over your numbers, I am far from some legal law abiding dick weed, but when you become legal and agree to the rules, stay within the rules, or dont sign up just do the gorila grows like we all did before it was legal, why would anyone get legal to break that law?  seems pretty phaqing stupid to me,,,,,,

I wonder what would happen if none of us renewed? at this time what would happen?  the state would lose our pt/c.g money,,,,,,,why get legal if they are going to screw us any how?  (its just a question, if I thought it would help I would say no one renew) im thinking it would realy screw pt/cg's what do you think?

Peace

breaking into sick people's homes terrorizing, kidnapping, and robbing them is about as lawless as history shows. Plant counts or not, charge or not, this is eye opening for some who can stop it I hope.

I wish they find out who told the police they had a few clones over count. what a turd, and how silly for police to follow up if that was the tip.

thugs don't usually know whats inside unless the curtains are left open.

you dont cut clones and not put them in the sponge to start rooting, althought it sucks, this guy had more than his 12 plants, If I had a few dying I would clone it (maybe) and pull the one dying, than your no way over your numbers, I am far from some legal law abiding dick weed, but when you become legal and agree to the rules, stay within the rules, or dont sign up just do the gorila grows like we all did before it was legal, why would anyone get legal to break that law?  seems pretty phaqing stupid to me,,,,,,

I wonder what would happen if none of us renewed? at this time what would happen?  the state would lose our pt/c.g money,,,,,,,why get legal if they are going to screw us any how?  (its just a question, if I thought it would help I would say no one renew) im thinking it would realy screw pt/cg's what do you think?

Peace

It would just make the ones that stayed in the program more vulnerable. That's why I pushed so hard at the beginning so a lot of us would be in the pool. 

breaking into sick people's homes terrorizing, kidnapping, and robbing them is about as lawless as history shows. Plant counts or not, charge or not, this is eye opening for some who can stop it I hope.

I wish they find out who told the police they had a few clones over count. what a turd, and how silly for police to follow up if that was the tip.

thugs don't usually know whats inside unless the curtains are left open.

The 'tip' was to dealing. Read what the cancer patient said, "We think you're dealing marijuana," 

Edited by Restorium2

at this time what would happen?  the state would lose our pt/c.g money,,,,,,,why get legal if they are going to screw us any how?  (its just a question, if I thought it would help I would say no one renew) im thinking it would realy screw pt/cg's what do you think?

Peace

I wonder what would happen if none of us renewed? no one would be protected if they where raided and some need a card to buy there cannabis from the Dispensaries 

But it would work if everybody stopped getting the card  i think that was the plan at the start  and that is why all the Dispensaries opened up so to make people sign up with the State  Michigan had a medical marihuana program back in the 80's

i  just wouldn't tell people not to get it