Punished And Disregarded Because Of A Medical Card...

Hello fellow Cannabis Supporters!

My name is Topher and I have been suffering through the worst medical experience in my life. After working with a local psychiatrist for the past few years I have been diagnosed with PTSD last year. I am the type of patient whom abides by the verbal agreements between the medical professionals I have encountered and myself, while researching the whole mental-health topic I am disabled from. I have been through the “pharmaceutical help” and experienced the horrid withdrawals from drugs such as Klonopin, Xanax, Celexa (anti-depressant SSRI), Tegretol (mood stabilizer), and Risperdal (anti-psychotic). I discovered the true health-enabling effects of cannabis last year and decided I would go the “natural” route instead of continually poisoning my body and dulling my mind with the strong psych medications. Last September I went into a certification clinic and after about a month received a MMM card in the mail. I acquired a few different strains of Lady Jane and noticed an immediate reduction in the symptoms I have been experiencing for the greater portion of my life! The anxiety and stomach issues seemed to go away within minutes of taking in the herbs.

Everything was fine and dandy until I was told to stop medicating 1 week before a surgical procedure I had last month (February), which I agreed to and followed through with a tight false-grin. The same afternoon I discontinued marijuana use I experienced a rush of the too-familiar past bodily and mental issues in full force. I calmly and respectively talked to the primary care physician and ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat) professionals I was seeing about getting temporary assistance with chronic, constant anxiety problems as well as IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) issues I have been facing since before I discovered medical marijuana. The primary physician’s response was something along the lines of, “You’re a high-risk patient because you have PTSD and it is all in your head. I’m not allowed by law to prescribe you any sort of narcotic or else I can lose my license. Being all in your head, you need to see a psychiatrist.” Ignorance aside, I then asked him why I had been prescribed bottles upon bottles of drugs such as Ultram and Promethazine with codeine cough syrup in the previous months at his office in which I got the reply, “Oh. I don’t know how you got those, but I’m not giving you anything.” After listening to the doctor talk me down for a good portion of ½ an hour, I was dismissed and left the office.

I then continued to call local mental health institutes and asked about seeing someone for short-term anxiolytic medication until the surgery was done (1 week). The majority of responses I received were along the lines of “We don’t prescribe anything to patients with ‘pot cards.’ Even if you produce a clean urine specimen, it’s still illegal for us to prescribe narcotics with ‘weed.’”

So I suffered as a completely un-medicated Post Traumatic Stress individual for the week before surgery and one the day of, talked to the ENT performing the procedure (FYI, I had a septoplasty, turbinate reduction, maxillary crest removal from my right nostril, papilloma growth removed, AND Uvulectomy). I asked the ENT about medication for after the procedure, since he told me no medicating for at least 2 weeks after the procedure and received the blunt response, “I’m prescribing you small dose Norco (like a Vicodin) for 5 days after. That is all. You should be back to normal in 3 days, like I was!” Understanding this was a lie in hopes of lowering my anxiety and pain levels, I asked about a liquid preparation since I am not supposed to be swallowing larger, hard items for a couple weeks after and was verbally cut-down in front of my parents who were in the Pre-Op area with me.

Moving to the recovery period afterwards, on day 4 I went into the ENT’s office to get the nasal splints removed from my nose. This is where it gets odd. The doctor has a small dog that runs from room to room, scratching itself and seeing the hair dandruff/dander becoming airborne.  I’m sitting in the chair, have the splints pulled out, and am told to swallow anything that comes into my mouth (mostly blood and some scabbing).  I have done my research on the whole topic and was supposed to get a nasal suctioning and possibly Afrin spray (numbs the nostrils). I was denied both and was once again told “you’ll be fine.” I then asked him what to do about the anxiety and pain, since the meds were going to run out the next day. He looked at me and said, “It’s all in your head. You have PTSD. You need to see a psych.” Low and behold I just passed week 3 of post-op care and am feeling more back to baseline.

Also, I have been unable to work the past 3 or 4 years and am living at home with my aging parents whom keep telling me I am not allowed to grow nor even have visible marijuana in their sight. Complying with as many people as possible, I have been suffering this Hellish repercussions of becoming “legal.” I have had and still do not have any money to purchase medication. I have messaged a few local “compassion” clubs and asked about the possibility of receiving donations of trim or anything that would assist my debilitating condition. Every time I have been told “medication is not free, but here’s a menu of what we have available with prices.” I understand nothing in this world is “free,” but what ever happened to people helping one another in their time of need? Being without medication and being denied health care by most every medical person I have come across has really begun to slam me into a remission of the improvements made with medical marijuana.

My questions are:

1. Is it legal to keep being denied medication even having a MMM card and

2. Are there any caregivers whom donate materials to people with debilitating conditions whom are unable to work until they can become mentally sound by utilizing this great gift of Mother Nature?

Any replies are greatly appreciated. I feel so alone anymore that I have isolated myself from the world. Thank you for reading this and any input you have.

Edited by topherbassist00

your dr can probably refuse to work with you if you dont follow his instructions. the mmma law protects people being denied any rights or privledges, but that doesnt expand to the drs right to refuse treatment i dont think. sorry, it sucks, find a dr who is cool with mmj use if you can.

dont tell your drs that you use marijuana. just dont. many do not understand it.

dang thats a new question and sad story you have. at least you found something that works for you.

i'm gonna tell you to try something different. you may not like it! haha!

your parents dont want you growing at their place, fair enough! can respect others wishes, even if its unfair.

land is easy to get. got any relatives or friends who dont mind you growing outdoors and can lend you some empty yard so you can grow your own?

friends with any neighbors? got any friends in any ptsd support groups?

got any connections with your old teachers, coworkers, priests/rabbis etc who can lease you some land to grow on?

at least you are in oakland county , lots of people and mmj patients there who may want to lease/rent you some land to grow on.

maybe mention a nearby city and maybe someone on here would let you grow on their property? who knows maybe it will work. good luck.

maybe its a long shot. dunno.

Wow. A long post that needed to be that long!

Welcome and I hope you get answers here and the cannabis you need.

As for doctors, they seem to be able to do whatever they want and can be as rude as they want. Many doctors are conservative and business-oriented, and don't like pot in their patients. They don't like things being complicated with something like pot which is unfamiliar or scary. They may even feel threatened by patients turning to pot.

Imagine a doctor interested in money and control over his patients (for instance). Imagine how he'd feel if a witch doctor (not that there is anything wrong with witch-doctory, mind you) took his patients away?

Outside of a doctor's moral/ethical requirement to render aid in an emergency, there is most likely no law that requires a doctor to accept or keep you as a patient, or offer you any treatment whatsoever.

It seems as if all the "Obamacare" docs in my area are HEAVILY against medical grade herb. Also, it's been a requirement to provide a urine sample on the first visit before even seeing a nurse to get vitals taken. There's no use in lying though, at least that's what I was brought up to believe. My "family" is not really the most relative-friendly (to put it respectfully). I was told I am not allowed to have a vehicle nor am allowed to use any of their vehicles so I can at least get a job and start moving on with MY life. What makes the situation worse is they collect money for me on their taxes and will not give me $0.01. I know I am in a bad situation at the moment, but all I can do is try, which has been failing miserably. All because of the "PTSD" diagnosis. :/

1. Is it legal to keep being denied medication even having a MMM card and

2. Are there any caregivers whom donate materials to people with debilitating conditions whom are unable to work until they can become mentally sound by utilizing this great gift of Mother Nature?

Congratulations on getting rid of the pharmaceuticals!

I think if I went to a doctor who had a dog running around the office I would report him to the board of health. That can't be safe or legal.

As far as being denied medication, that also sounds like you need a new doctor. It's the doctors choice, not a law.

Don't confuse true compassion clubs with dispensaries. There are dispensaries that call themselves compassion clubs but they are not. A compassion club is a place where caregivers and patients can meet each other. A dispensary sells cannabis.

You might find a caregiver who would supply you with free meds but I highly doubt that you will. If they do it will probably be as an incentive to get you to sign up with them. Most caregivers that I have met eventually say, "I'm just trying to make a little money."

It costs the caregivers money to grow it so you should at least try to find some way to help cover their expenses.

But you never know you might run across a kind hearted soul. Maybe you could work out some sort of trade or barter if you don't have cash.

Keep working on your parents. If you can convince them that cannabis is safe medicine that has been used since the dawn of time that should help your situation immensely.

Though "disabled," I still can function doing household chores and outside business. It's just the whole point that I cannot medicate in order to function in order to work. I understand everything can be considered an excuse, but as I'm sure we can all countess, "A happy mind is a happy body." I have some experience with trimming, but I do strongly respect the anonymity and security of growers and their families.

I have places I can ingest any way desirable. It's just the point that I am constantly looked down on because "Drugs are bad, mmkay?" when my parents, my life-givers, response to "what am I supposed to do?" becomes a definitive "go back on the pills."  Ignorance...

I don't think its impossible to get help dollar free, I know it isn't. especially on this forum keep posting and hanging around theres help here. KARMA IS BETTER THAN MONEY! and darn sorry for you troubles. played the mental game myself for few yrs. no fun but I made it, I did cut out all toxic people and situations from my life, big help lots easier to deal with stuff when your not down on yourself too. and had same problem with on of my dr. not wanting to prescribe narcs and he said part of their funding is fed so that was why? who knows, keep head up  it gets better

Edited by flower pharm

I know people who are on opioid pain medicine and, against my advice, told their doctors that they use medical marijuana. Much to my surprise, the doctors don't care. Some have stated that it is okay with them. Others just don't seem to care.

I think some doctors are not aware of current science around marijuana and are still operating under old assumptions.

Messaged a few "caregivers" nearer me. I've been told many other people who have designated caregivers receive free marijuana products and it's not uncommon nor rude to ask potential growers. Well, the responses I've received have all been along the lines of, "Nah, best I will do is $xxx/ounce...blah blah." I'm about at a complete loss... Still looking for any of these so-called "compassionate" individuals. Maybe I am just living in the wrong county...

Messaged a few "caregivers" nearer me. I've been told many other people who have designated caregivers receive free marijuana products and it's not uncommon nor rude to ask potential growers. Well, the responses I've received have all been along the lines of, "Nah, best I will do is $xxx/ounce...blah blah." I'm about at a complete loss... Still looking for any of these so-called "compassionate" individuals. Maybe I am just living in the wrong county...

id be wary of' potential growers' but that's just me . I understand your pain but don't get mad, cause you haven't found what you need soon enough,you don't want to get into a bad relationship with a crappy CG. and  your post seems a little durogutory to a lot of "COMPASIONATE" people. good luck

com·pas·sion·ate

kəmˈpaSHənət/

adjective

1. feeling or showing sympathy and concern for others.

100% sure this is what I mean. It's only derogatory if that's what the readers want to perceive. In my defense, I have nothing to offer which is understandable for being turned down but when considering many, many caregivers donate any parts of a plant (ranging from trim to homemade edibles) it would make even us "lowest on our luck people" (referring to myself) wonder if that's really sympathy...or a monetary incentive. Criticism always appreciated though.

Yes, I am seeking help. I apologize if I seemed hostile in my last post. It is one of the effects of being agitated with being denied care especially after a surgery while also being seen as a drug addict due to the ignorance of too many medical professionals. I agree, I could word my thought in a more neutral/positive manner. Anyways, I was hesitant on joining and posting on this site because my issue does all revolve around "not having a job" and needing to get my life together completely on my own, which takes it's toll pretty quickly and abrasively.

• 1 month later...

Belated greetings everyone! Over the last month+ I have been seeing a difference primary care physician at a different medical facility a little further from home. Since going to this new facility I have had moderate damage of some of the nerves in my lower leg diagnosed as well as tried 2 medications in agreement with the doctor (Cybalta and Neurontin) with the adverse side effects outweighing the benefits of the dulled sensory perception to “pain” and other sensations. Ultimately, the physician told me, “I will not prescribe you any sort of narcotic medication because you are a medical marijuana patient and will void a dirty urine sample if/when required by the DEA. All I can suggest is to contact a pain management clinic.” I explained to her that the clinics I have contacted during the past few months do not allow medical marijuana to be taken with Scheduled narcotics. She seemed to already understand this and conclude the visit with a smile and walked out of the room. I kept myself in a professional and respectful manner, got up from the exam table, and left.

I am not sure what to do next if really anything. Though marijuana helps with the anxiety side of my daily life, medicating with indica-dominant strains for pain relief tends to be almost too-relaxing for me which tends to slow my body and mind, as it should. Performing detail-oriented jobs becomes sloppy with slow progress and the occasional forgetting mindset. I have tried edibles of varying dosages before with similar results.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

my issue does all revolve around "not having a job" and needing to get my life together completely on my own"

and no solution will ever be found in a medicine cabinet, doctor office or a rolling tray.

Be the change you wish to see and then help others suffering in similar situations.

If cannabis was not helping me be a better person each day I would cease using it at once.

heal soon

Im very sorry to hear of your medical issues and the non mm support of your parents, let the dr. provide you methadone for pain, xanax for relaxation and after 12 yrs get yanked off cold turkey and wake up in I.c.u,,,,,,if that dont change your parents thinking nothing will!

My old man is a retired cop, we talked this weekend, they are getting older and I have to drive an hr to their home to help them out alot, ( totaly dont mind) me and pops were speaking of my relationship which may have run its course, and he told me I am welcome to come there and live, (what he dont know is I was going to any how lol) my parents are up in age and my mom isnt able to do alot and she would love to have me there to help her so my dad can keep busy doing the things he loves to do, they were both dead set against mm, I have since showed my dad my grow, I have used topical oil on both of them and my pops told me if I had to live with them I could use mm in the room I would have, he would prefer not to smell it, well I have 3 vapes I can use, he cant smell it any how, I was smoking weed in his house while he was still working lol, he drove me down to south carolina like 10 yrs ago to see my son graduate marine boot camp, I mixed a whole lot of mm well it was weed back than with the cigs I roll myself, I smoked them all the way down in the passenger seat of his truck, I realy enjoyed the ride, we took the mountain route, and when he would stop for gas. I would grab one of them orange cans of power drink with alcohol lol, he did have a clue, once we got down to s.c we grabbed a 6 pack and had a few beers the night before going to parris island for the graduation!

Dont give up, you have been thru a lot so a lil longer should not hurt, I would be amazed if you dont find some one to donate some meds to you, you do live in a very unfriendly county as far as mm goes, you need to hang out and get to know people, I usualy dont recomend this but if you can get a lil cash together you can check craigs list, idiots on there advertise mm for sale and also deliver!

I wish you the best!

Peace

I was recapping this morning on what else has been discovered while going to this current doctor. The lumosacral (lower back) arthritis has been diagnosed due to a degenerative disc disease. After being told there is a disease process currently breaking down my vertebral discs there has not been any follow-up work done in attempt to get a more defined idea of the current status of the tissues and bones are in with tests such as an Xray or MRI. 

I just find it odd that I am being diagnosed with a few different ailments yet little if any post-diagnosis work has been considered nor completed. 

phaquetoo - Clever username! One of the parents is fine with mm while the other still sees it as an old-school drug, plain and simple. I respect them and keep the medicine and intake to myself away from them. I do not smoke anything inside either which makes medicating stressful until the "deed is done."  :P  Sadly, I have checked CL for overage from "certified caregivers" with average prices. The reason I use the quotes is aimed at mocking the unknown as it comes to the other person being legal or not little lone having them go to one's residence. Meeting people is always good too!