Disabled And Want To Grow Again

Drew1960

Greetings,I am a former grower and now I am disabled having broken my back,along with 2 other back fractures in the last 4 years from falls.I am an older fellow and I would like to start again but I need technics that would allow me to grow on my own again with limited help.Are there forums out there  dedicated to disabled people,and ways to grow??..Any help I would appreciate,thanks.Drew..

Edited by Drew1960

Everyone on this site has some sort of disability. What are your limitations? I'm sure you are already of the automated mindset, but that is the most general advice I could give. Hydro drip system with automatic everything.

Maybe a video camera in room so you can just check in without much effort.

I don't grow hydro so I can't offer much help. Lots of people here are at the ready to help. I would drop some additional info and folks will start chiming in. Welcome and good luck!

I am an older fellow and limited in range of motion,my legs are weak and I use a cane.I am almost in constant pain,even with pain pills,which I would like to ditch,and go with strains that relieve pain,as well as depression and anxiety.I am having a second look at Hydro,I never grew Hydro,instead grew in soil with organic feed,in a large tent under LEDs.Looking for grow design options that will save my back.I was a skilled builder and can follow any design options with a little help.I loved growing,and was good at it,coming from 4 generations of organic farmers that fed many people in Genesee county over the years.

Edited by Drew1960

Thanks.I certainly do enjoy growing.I have enough smart pots,I am just looking to start with a half dozen plants with mothers included,and doing staggered harvests.I do have a MHD light.also flouresents I used to Veg.But I got good results with LEDs,just a little longer for flowering.The tent I have is 8x8x6.5,enough room to move around in.I am familiar with FoxFarm nutes.

Edited by Drew1960

I am just looking to start with a half dozen plants with mothers included,and doing staggered harvests.

You should get a caregiver who can legally provide mothers and clones to you so that you both keep safe, or there is the option to use your card to visit one of the many dispensing areas who may also be willing to provide clones. There are also seedbanks from which to obtain genetics on the web.

One of my patients doesn't grow their own because of particular back problems (fused vertebrae from a surgery), the strain of moving the buckets and having to get down to the level of the plants was too much in the end. Buckets and pots get heavy when filled with grow medium, and depending on the pots you use may have limited handholds. 

I would suppose that perhaps one of the easier methods (because you specifically mentioned Hydro) for someone in your situation may be a simple ebb-flow through rockwool. The Lucas method is your friend here, but if you have the cash to shell out for more nutes the plants react well when directions are followed.

Bottom line though, I'd suggest keeping to soil, it is much more forgiving in regards to mistakes in the garden if you ever find yourself at such a point as to where you are unable to take care of your ladies.

You should get a caregiver who can legally provide mothers and clones to you so that you both keep safe, or there is the option to use your card to visit one of the many dispensing areas who may also be willing to provide clones. There are also seedbanks from which to obtain genetics on the web.

One of my patients doesn't grow their own because of particular back problems (fused vertebrae from a surgery), the strain of moving the buckets and having to get down to the level of the plants was too much in the end. Buckets and pots get heavy when filled with grow medium, and depending on the pots you use may have limited handholds. 

I would suppose that perhaps one of the easier methods (because you specifically mentioned Hydro) for someone in your situation may be a simple ebb-flow through rockwool. The Lucas method is your friend here, but if you have the cash to shell out for more nutes the plants react well when directions are followed.

Bottom line though, I'd suggest keeping to soil, it is much more forgiving in regards to mistakes in the garden if you ever find yourself at such a point as to where you are unable to take care of your ladies.

Thanks for the advise,I was thinking of a way to raise my garden up to where I can work from a wheelchair I have.I need to research more on specific strains I need that would allow me to throw away a bunch of pills.I am just in the planning stage yet hope to be ready to grow in the next few months.

Edited by Drew1960

I would ditch the tent (all tents are too small for accessability) and build the plants up like on a raised bed , so you can tend to them while sitting.

then i would use scrog / netting to make the plant canopy into an even height. thus making all of the plants the same height , easy to prune and look over while sitting.

put the lights on lines/chains/pulleys so they can be adjusted easily as well.

set up water drip on a timer so you just set it once and forget about it.

I'd use dirt, just because i'm a dirt guy. You can do hydro as long as you have a hose and a drain somewhere in the room.

are you still in genesee county? if so , check out the genesee county compassion club to find patients and caregivers who may have similar ideas.

also, i'd say the easiest would probably just be to toss some seeds in the ground (outdoor growing) and build a secured locked facility/greenhouse around the plants. let mother nature be the light and rain. you can turn on a hose if it gets too dry.

Edited by t-pain

I would ditch the tent (all tents are too small for accessability) and build the plants up like on a raised bed , so you can tend to them while sitting.

then i would use scrog / netting to make the plant canopy into an even height. thus making all of the plants the same height , easy to prune and look over while sitting.

put the lights on lines/chains/pulleys so they can be adjusted easily as well.

set up water drip on a timer so you just set it once and forget about it.

I'd use dirt, just because i'm a dirt guy. You can do hydro as long as you have a hose and a drain somewhere in the room.

are you still in genesee county? if so , check out the genesee county compassion club to find patients and caregivers who may have similar ideas.

also, i'd say the easiest would probably just be to toss some seeds in the ground (outdoor growing) and build a secured locked facility/greenhouse around the plants. let mother nature be the light and rain. you can turn on a hose if it gets too dry.

Thanks for the info,yes I'm in Genesee county,and will reach out for more help,getting some good idea's here....I would love to have a green house set up this summer!!

my back and belly are both worthless half the time, so bending sucks. I have found a shop vac w\long hose, very helpful also a drywall mud mixer on drill is great for breaking up media, four wheel movers dolly if your dealing with pots. all save many bends

Thanks for these suggestions,I have everything except the 4 wheel dolly.I am getting some good ideas here!!

Recently just screwed my lower back... worst injury to date. Made it really hard to do the work on my own.

Toughest things r easy enough to identify... those items that weigh & require lifting... potting/medium & water.

Water can be reduced to no lifting if u go the extra mile w the design/build.

- water lines going from the source to the rez

- pump/lines to the pots

- pots on trays/beds that r raised

- raised beds to a floor drain, or a holding rez w a pump to a drain

* even better if the rez is tapped on the bottom & the pump is inline... no need to dump excess fluids

Medium u r pretty much screwed, unless u go truly water culture of a variation, which is a tough grow. If u want a compromise, perlite is very light weight & if u water frequently enough will work great. Still might just need a partner/cg/patient though.

Back injuries suck. Wish u good healing, as best as able & all.

Recently just screwed my lower back... worst injury to date. Made it really hard to do the work on my own.

Toughest things r easy enough to identify... those items that weigh & require lifting... potting/medium & water.

Water can be reduced to no lifting if u go the extra mile w the design/build.

- water lines going from the source to the rez

- pump/lines to the pots

- pots on trays/beds that r raised

- raised beds to a floor drain, or a holding rez w a pump to a drain

* even better if the rez is tapped on the bottom & the pump is inline... no need to dump excess fluids

Medium u r pretty much screwed, unless u go truly water culture of a variation, which is a tough grow. If u want a compromise, perlite is very light weight & if u water frequently enough will work great. Still might just need a partner/cg/patient though.

Back injuries suck. Wish u good healing, as best as able & all.

Thanks Indigro.In my old set up I had a 40gallon tank I got at a grow shop,along with a reverse ozmosis filter.I tapped into a water line for my source,one line went to a drain.I then filled a 10gallon plastic tub.Checked the PH level,added nutes,and used a pump connected with a hose and sprayer to water the plants.It worked well and saved my back...Now I need an Idea how to make raised beds so I don't have to do alot of bending.I would like to find a partner/cg/patient that is older,descreet and can help me.I am excited to get back into growing,I loved to grow before,not just to have the medication,but the process was calming,and had a spritual aspect to it as well....Farming is in my blood coming from 4 generations of farmers that grew all organic back in the day....

Edited by Drew1960

It's a shame that finding a decent, honest, trustworthy person is so hard nowadays... esp if u throw in other considerations like a decent work ethic & tolerable personality traits. Suppose it all depends on what u would like to be doing though... how big & what not. I'd recommend finding a patient where u become the cg & have the control. Someone that is a true novice & would look at it like a very fun learning project where they would be able to directly enjoy the fruits of their labor. U cover the costs & experience, they do the heavy lifting & learning. Question is who/where do u find such an individual...? Esp w/o disclosing too much info. Rock & hard spot no doubt. Hopefully (maybe) u can make such a find here. It's kind of nice to share a joint w a buddy over a healthy garden anyway.

Best of luck on the endeavors. Stay safe out there too!

How big are you looking to make your tables. Mine are 8x2.5 and are built with a two inch ledge to catch liquid and they are angled down to the center. Each drains into hose and to drain. Both on wheels. They could (in theory) hold 16 #7 pots. Thsee babies had to be braced up and down, left and right, but a smaller version would require much less.

Frame up two squares with 2x4s. Connect those with 2x4s at the height you want. I would use two at each corner. cut more 2x4s and add support to your open top. Every foot or so. Osb or plywood on top. Add 1x3 or something smaller around the outside of the top. Staple waterproof fabric/plastic around top. If it is going to be much larger than say, 4ft x 4ft, you need to add some leg support. Either design differently or brace the frame. So, two square with 2x4s, four legs, extra cuts of 2x4s for supports, Osb or plywood for top, add wheels. Drainage is another story.

Simple, but it may work and homedepot should cut it for free. Just need a drill, some screws, and a hand. Hopefully you can find someone. It should be a cheap and quick project for someone that knows their way around the toolbench.

Sounds like a good Idea.I used to build and still have a lot of 2x4s in my garage..Could you send me a few pictures of your design set up Via a personal message??

It's a shame that finding a decent, honest, trustworthy person is so hard nowadays... esp if u throw in other considerations like a decent work ethic & tolerable personality traits. Suppose it all depends on what u would like to be doing though... how big & what not. I'd recommend finding a patient where u become the cg & have the control. Someone that is a true novice & would look at it like a very fun learning project where they would be able to directly enjoy the fruits of their labor. U cover the costs & experience, they do the heavy lifting & learning. Question is who/where do u find such an individual...? Esp w/o disclosing too much info. Rock & hard spot no doubt. Hopefully (maybe) u can make such a find here. It's kind of nice to share a joint w a buddy over a healthy garden anyway.

Best of luck on the endeavors. Stay safe out there too!

Aint that the truth!!..I would love to have a 50 and older descreet person from this forum to  send me a PM and help me get started again.I am in the planning stage right now,and hope to be ready to grow in a couple months.

Edited by Drew1960

If you are growing for only yourself, you can expect single plant yields of a cool half pound in a 4x4 tent w/a 1kw light system. You probably already know that it is a about a three month process. If you can find strangers to donate their time, then good for you. I don't expect you gave your valuable time as a skilled builder away. Otherwise pay people what they are worth.

Edited by GregS

You should get a friend to put in a couple folding tables, before you put plants in. It makes it a lot easier to work on them.  Better yet if someone can help you build a table/tables to your optimum height, they would work best.  Hydro is the easiest to take care of, because it's the physically cleanest way to grow, but small 3 or 5 gallon pots filled with coco perlite, and organic amendments, wouldn't be hard to care for either.  You'll want a small bin to continuously recycle the coco.  Just add water and Mykos, and your all set.

Also a keycode lock on whatever room it resides in is a godsend. It's a lot easier than constantly having to have a key on you.

Edited by slipstar059

You should get a friend to put in a couple folding tables, before you put plants in. It makes it a lot easier to work on them.  Better yet if someone can help you build a table/tables to your optimum height, they would work best.  Hydro is the easiest to take care of, because it's the physically cleanest way to grow, but small 3 or 5 gallon pots filled with coco perlite, and organic amendments, wouldn't be hard to care for either.  You'll want a small bin to continuously recycle the coco.  Just add water and Mykos, and your all set.

Hey thanks for these tips.I will take another look at Hydro grows,I have enough lumber to build up a bed to a height I can accomodate an office desk chair I have..