Photo

Should Landlords Be Able To Ban Medical Marijuana? Michigan Senate Oks Bill To Amend 2008 Law

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 Budz-4-U

Budz-4-U

Budz-4-u

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationGladwin/Midland, MI

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:25 PM

They used to call me "Captain Obvious" at work.  :lol:

#22 zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,320 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:38 PM

You can buy a house, grow meds, have cats and dogs, Smoke up the place.  Trash it.  Whatever.  It's yours. You own it.

You can rent a place.  That means it is NOT yours.  The owner/landlord owns it, and gets to make all the rules.

You are free to choose between buying or renting.

You are not free to possibly duck up a dwelling, that you do not own.

Thinking otherwise ??  Well, there's your problem !!

It is absolutely possible to grow indoors without creating a quality of life issue for your neighbors, or destroying or even harming the property at all. It is done routinely by homeowners all over the state.

Is this not just discrimination for no good reason? I can't support removing legal protections from patients and their caregivers for this, and patients and caregivers were already subject to legal remedies for property damage, etc.

Of course one cannot damage the owner's properties or create a nuisance for other tenants, but modification of the law is not necessary for that. Normal legal remedies apply.

• GregS, phaquetoo, mibrains and 1 other like this

#23 matt79

matt79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

So someone burns the place down or trashes it from a grow. Sure, you can sue, but collecting on a judgement is not that easy.
My insurance states that their is no coverage from a loss related to marijuana cultivation. Ill try and post a pic since some people have posted this isnt true

#24 Restorium2

Restorium2

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:56 PM

So someone burns the place down or trashes it from a grow. Sure, you can sue, but collecting on a judgement is not that easy.
My insurance states that their is no coverage from a loss related to marijuana cultivation. Ill try and post a pic since some people have posted this isnt true

It's your insurance company, not all the insurance companies.

#25 trichcycler

trichcycler

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,934 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:57 PM

seems there's two questions in this thread?

1)"Should Landlords Be Able To Ban Medical Marijuana?"

2)"Do we need to change laws to punish tenants/patients?"

I believe landlords can currently disallow smoking of any type, indoor gardening, house plants, pets,
the use of marijuana, or st Johns wort for that matter, on the rental premises.
If a tenant chooses to enter into a rental agreement the possible restrictions may be near unlimited. I don't think anyone here believes a patient should be arrested for smoking in a rented apartment, or breaking a lease by having a cat. Can they be evicted for breaking said lease? sure, happens all the time.

Laws to enforce this are attacks on every patient in the registry and undermines our intention. The punishment of the sick, what will they think of next?
  • phaquetoo, mibrains, rockinsteady and 1 other like this

#26 Restorium2

Restorium2

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:58 PM

How would it burn down from a grow anyway?  How would it be different then say Christmas lights or a welder?

#27 Restorium2

Restorium2

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:00 PM

seems there's two questions in this thread?

1)"Should Landlords Be Able To Ban Medical Marijuana?"

2)"Do we need to change laws to punish tenants/patients?"

I believe landlords can currently disallow smoking of any type, indoor gardening, house plants, pets,
the use of marijuana, or st Johns wort for that matter, on the rental premises.
If a tenant chooses to enter into a rental agreement the possible restrictions may be near unlimited. I don't think anyone here believes a patient should be arrested for smoking in a rented apartment, or breaking a lease by having a cat. Can they be evicted for breaking said lease? sure, happens all the time.

Laws to enforce this are attacks on every patient in the registry and undermines our intention. The punishment of the sick, what will they think of next?

Of course they can already ban it in the lease. Just tell the people. But don't take their rights with the Act away because they broke a lease.

• mibrains likes this

#28 trichcycler

trichcycler

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,934 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:01 PM

thanks for sharing.
maybe you could share the name of your insurance company here? We'll boycott them instantly if they practice this.

Having the police arrest the arsonist/slob wont get your money any faster. allstate has paid marijuana loss claims, for example.

#29 trichcycler

trichcycler

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,934 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:02 PM

Of course they can already ban it in the lease. Just tell the people. But don't take their rights with the Act away because they broke a lease.

are you agreeing with me you saucy fella?

#30 Restorium2

Restorium2

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:03 PM

are you agreeing with me you saucy fella?

yup lol

#31 matt79

matt79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:03 PM

Cant post a pic....but the policy also states damage done by renters isnt covered.

#32 matt79

matt79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:04 PM

Lloyds of london

#33 Restorium2

Restorium2

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:04 PM

Cant post a pic....but the policy also states damage done by renters isnt covered.

Then it's BS. A renters policy is totally different and cost twice as much. There are a lot of slum lord slobs out there that have nasty houses for rent with bad electrical services and little or no insurance whining about marijuana users. 

#34 trichcycler

trichcycler

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,934 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:05 PM

there you have it, nothing to do with marijuana really. It could take a lot of time to find the right tenants in some areas, or even responsible people you could trust with your property. Better luck next time.

#35 Restorium2

Restorium2

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:05 PM

My welder and air compressor pull more than all my lights.

#36 zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,320 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:14 PM

Same could be said for burning down a rental property with a toaster oven or daisy-chained extension cords. I'd love to see the marijuana-specific rider on your policy.

Also, change policies to a company that doesn't discriminate against patients and caregivers. Why give them your money when you know their crap policy?

#37 zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,320 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:15 PM

Sounds like it is a real mistake for you to rent to anyone. Nothing to do with marijuana.

• flower pharm likes this

#38 matt79

matt79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:12 PM

If someone explains how to post a pic i will do so.
I went with them because they dont base their rates on credit. They were half as much as everyone else, i was paying almost 3k a year with a 5k deductable and ive never had a claim

#39 matt79

matt79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

20150311_150115.jpg 20150311_150115.jpg

#40 zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,320 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

I'll sell you insurance for half what you are paying now as long as you promise never to make a claim.

This insurance is not suitable for a landlord, so the discussion is silly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users