Citizen-Based Organization Announces Marijuana Legalization Effort For 2016

anyone like the wood tv poll of its viewers.. should michigan legalize.... http://woodtv.com/2015/03/12/group-wants-statewide-pot-legalization-on-2016-ballot/    sometimes you have to pick it from the right side of the page if it dont link right...Wood Tv said results might surprise you... check it out..

Here's the poll results as of 3:00pm on Sat.

Yes. 90.18% (4,593 votes)

No. 9.82% (500 votes)

Total Votes: 5,093

Whoa!! Certainly not scientific, but nevertheless, encouraging.

http://video.wkar.org/video/2365442052/

First, majority of panel including Skubick, Demas of Inside Politics/MLive, Livengood of the Detroit News, agree Michigan is legalizing in 2016 or even sooner, one way or another, and that petitioners can get the signatures to win. Start watching 12 minutes in:

Let's do all we can to get it done right.  Our legislators will "legalize" for profit if we don't fight them tooth and nail.

MPRN-Lansing) A group of activists says 2016 is the year to legalize marijuana in Michigan. The group says it will launch a petition drive this year. 

It’s still finalizing the proposal’s language – but organizers say it will allow people to grow up to 12 marijuana plants each. 

“The main reason to do it is that the prohibition of marijuana is wrong and that we’re criminalizing and penalizing otherwise honest, hardworking citizens,” 

said attorney Matthew Abel, one of the campaign’s organizers and director of the pro-marijuana group Michigan NORML. 

“It’s no longer a question of ‘if,’ it’s more a question of ‘when and how,’” 

said Abel. But some other marijuana activists in Michigan question whether there’s enough support or funding now to collect enough signatures. Abel counters by pointing to growing public support for legalizing marijuana in the state. 

“The polling seems to be moving in our direction two or three points per year,” he says. “So, within a year or two years, we will be at 55% or 56% in favor, which should be enough to pass this ballot proposal.” 

Another group led by Republican political operatives is exploring a separate initiative to legalize marijuana in 2016. Abel and others worry that proposal would put any marijuana distribution system in the hands of big businesses and end or limit the ability for individuals to grow cannabis at home. They also worry it would end protections for people who use marijuana for medical reasons. 

Abel says word of the possible Republican campaign was a significant factor in launching a petition drive spearheaded by pro-marijuana activists.

http://wmuk.org/post/activists-plan-launch-drive-legalize-marijuana-michigan

Edited by bobandtorey

While they're at it the should differentiate the weight that a producer can have, and a layman can have. Unless this is the "no more regulated than tomato" Bill. Also if they're working on the production end at all, please do away with numbers altogether and develop a system based on square footage.

I work with the plant count I have, but it's an arcane system, and its hard to keep the indica's around, because of their structure.

Edited by slipstar059

I agree, and I side with your views, but the current limits on Caregivers, don't allow for a seamless transition from a patient that has gotten better, to a patient, who now needs help.  That could have been avoided, with a few sentences, that would allow a CG to remain autonomous from his patients. 

They tried the 5 patient limit in Colorado too, Sensible Colorado sued, and got it thrown out, why hasn't that happened here?

"In the early 2000s, some quality caregivers began providing marijuana to larger numbers of patients. These caregivers mostly operated delivery services or at discreet retail locations. To try and end the commercial distribution of medical marijuana, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (“Health Department”) at the behest of the Drug Enforcement Administration created an informal rule barring caregivers from providing medical marijuana to more than 5 patients.

Sensible Colorado sued the state over this arbitrary policy. After an extensive hearing, Sensible won in 2007. After this victory, caregivers were allowed to provide medicine to any number of patients that needed their help. Sensible Colorado’s court victory paved the way for store front dispensaries across the state.

In 2009, the Health Department tried again to limit the commercial distribution of medical marijuana. This time, they decided to go through a formal rule making process to bring back the five patient caregiver limit. They needed the Board of Health to adopt their rule. Again, Sensible Colorado organized the opposition.  More than 300 patients, caregivers, and supporters came out to testify at the Board of Health hearing in July 2009. By a one vote margin, the Board of Health of rejected the five patient limit for caregivers, effectively approving the dispensary model. The Colorado “Green Rush” was born."

Edited by slipstar059

What is the purpose of a weight limit at all? To choose who to arrest. No weight limit is needed or rational.

i so agree totally.

this is very important for us all. 

we should each and everyone of us as Michigan Residents be able to grow as much cannabis as we possibly can Individually or as a group.

so long as we are willing and able to pay taxes on our income and comply with a fair and structured system to which we could all operate within freely while maintaining our independence. (farmers markets as well as resale facilities)

"

They tried the 5 patient limit in Colorado too, Sensible Colorado sued, and got it thrown out, why hasn't that happened here?

They tried the 5 patient limit in Colorado too, Sensible Colorado sued, and got it thrown out, why hasn't that happened here?"

Good Question, getter dun..!

i so agree totally.

this is very important for us all. 

we should each and everyone of us as Michigan Residents be able to grow as much cannabis as we possibly can Individually or as a group.

so long as we are willing and able to pay taxes on our income and comply with a fair and structured system to which we could all operate within freely while maintaining our independence. (farmers markets as well as resale facilities)

At that point the cost will come down. And what are the costs of legalizing? The government would no longer be on the hook with paying, by us, out our azzes, for armed military and intelligence to be used against the public. That in turn goes to putting all national drug policy under Health and Human Services and out of the hands of the Justice Dept. That is the long game. It has been concluded that about 9% of cannabis users are dependent by some measures. Could cannabis taxes fully cover the cost of those people in treatment, and possibly enough to treat all drug use under Obamacare? Drug use is not a character flaw. It is part of the human condition.

Edited by GregS

Where is the money going to come from to make this happen??

To collect the signatures will cost close to 1 million dollars.  I hear no references to MPP or any of the various national groups stepping up like they did for the current MMMA.    Is the plan to have patients, caregivers, hydro stores and dispensaries donate?

How many patients and caregivers currently donated to causes such as this group, compassion clubs or other similar groups?  And at what dollar level?  

When I look at the current legislative effort that NPRA is spearheading to legalize dispensaries and medibles I do not see anywhere near $1,000,000 being raised.   I would estimate over a 2 year period they have raised at best $250K.   These dollars having gone to pay their lobby staff and donate to Callton and Richardville.   The provisioning center and medibles bills would seem to have a life or death impact on the dispensaries community, yet of the 250K they have probably kicked in 150K. This brings me back to the question, where does the committee raise nearly $1,000,000 in six months?

Does anyone else wonder about how the "committee" is going to make this happen?

Even if the committee's only purpose is to educate the public on the differences between the MRC proposal and what would be a positive development for Michigan, it may be worth running with it. How else will regular people join the conversation regarding legalization to help offset MRC's millions?

Zap,  That is the most rational perspective I have heard.  I can agree with that.

To collect the signatures will cost close to 1 million dollars.  I hear no references to MPP or any of the various national groups stepping up like they did for the current MMMA.    Is the plan to have patients, caregivers, hydro stores and dispensaries donate?

How many patients and caregivers currently donated to causes such as this group, compassion clubs or other similar groups?  And at what dollar level?  

When I look at the current legislative effort that NPRA is spearheading to legalize dispensaries and medibles I do not see anywhere near $1,000,000 being raised.   I would estimate over a 2 year period they have raised at best $250K.   These dollars having gone to pay their lobby staff and donate to Callton and Richardville.   The provisioning center and medibles bills would seem to have a life or death impact on the dispensaries community, yet of the 250K they have probably kicked in 150K. This brings me back to the question, where does the committee raise nearly $1,000,000 in six months?

Donations are where you find them. Fund raising is an interesting game. Creative people get the job done. They did in '08, and they'll do it again.

The last time this was done 2 years ago i think i was told they need a $ 1,000 dollars from 1,000 people