Price Check

Quadcarl

I was a toddler then, but the oil flowed heavy around me. I remember the old timers like it was yesterday.
this 1970's circa guide "Trash to Stash" lol, maybe the first of its kind was a table book during the holidays.
soon as I saw naptha and rice cookers, I gave the "Ehh Boy" and framed the book for display. It took a local goof group

to put an end to this naptha crap. They were using the exact same techs in this book, rice cookers, garage floors, scraps and naptha, until patients got the chits. after much excuses and trials, I think the group was discredited, pooh pooh'd, and run off.

"wow myan...I think I know that cat on the cover" :hair:

I know you (Resto) do NOT use naptha with cannabis, and would gladly sample your oil, and even feel safe watching you make it. I am very familiar with your technique and have enjoyed similar.  so there :butt2:
If anyone is considering using the techniques in this book, please do not. it aint right.

There's definitely a concentrate "rush" going on right now, nationwide.

Add the natural tendency to "make mine better than yours" ie. using top buds of the best strain and up up up goes the price, as expected.

I have zero experience eating oil and id like to try, I have a high tolerance so I hear it's the way to go. Patience, someday it will enter my life. So for now I smoke everything :)

If we consider the price of good quality bud at $200 per oz., then does it not follow that the oil at $50 per gram is appropriate, even before we figure in the added value of extraction? Conversion ratios are simple enough to figure the value of keif too.

It has been kind of difficult figuring at $200/oz, depending on the strain(s) used and whether or not I winterize, I would say it ranges between $30 and $40 per gram to produce it. Keeping in mind that price could be a bit lowered with using the same product and producing an additional small batch of a lower grade oil. Since the COA ruling I have just been throwing that in the wood burner.

Now that I am using grain alcohol and KleenXtract and am hooked on top shelf, I don't bother with the low grade anymore. I suppose I would if it were safe to provide to my patients. Then I would estimate it to be able to drop to $25-$30/gram. That would be the cost for me to produce it. I am not an efficient grower or efficient when it comes to producing oil. My focus is on quality and medicinal value.

I have been lowering my yields but increasing the top shelf nugs. Yes, you lose on the yield, but it is nice when you harvest and it is 80-90% top shelf. You know what I mean. Just trimming all of the lower branches off. Not overcrowding the plants. Supplying more light than necessary. Actually, everything more than necessary. Efficient, well, that is not me.

Unfortunately, no efficiency = no profit, but major gains in perfection.  

(Profile) LOL!!

like using a larger micron to sift, heating the solvent and or the bud can double my yield, but then we'd be dab'n more waxy trichome heads along with their contents. I suspect the disp market, driven by cash, is a popular venue for displaying the "heavier" oils, just saying.

I try to keep everything as cold as possible when doing the extraction. It is not profitable, but it produces some great oil and that is what I want.

I get the impression you are the same as me in focusing on quality not quantity.

I haven't really made oil from a large number of different strains. I am sure there are other strains out there the will produce a much better yield of oil. As per typical, it is probably not as potent. Like with the plants, usually the more potent plants do not produce as high of yields or are just more difficult to grow.Actually, I have not even made oil from the lower quality parts of the plant. I watched that Rick Simpson video a long time ago, and said "I think I can spare 4 oz of premium dank". I couldn't help it, I had to see if it was true. One of my patients sampled PB's oil, no not the topical his personal concentrate. The patient told me that a couple of drops would put him on the couch. So, I had to try making it and at that time I liked the RSO method best. So I gave it a try, the potency that Rick claimed was true and then some. The cancer patient was willing to try the oil and the treatment was a full success. That is when I put my focus towards oil and I would use nothing but the best buds because that is what I like the best, eating the oil. If someone likes dabs the best, then they should use their best buds to make it in my opinion.

I just wish they would make concentrates legal and make it to where we could freely share with patients so we can show and learn from each other. That would be awesome. I don't care about money. As long as I were allowed to share, I would be happy. It really stinks having to keep it to myself.

• 5 years later...
On 3/12/2015 at 9:29 PM, Highlander said:
On 3/12/2015 at 9:15 PM, Highlander said:

Keep in mind that dispensaries are operating near the edge of the law, so you kinda hafta figure they will charge more to compensate for the risk. Glad you found some meds.

Also you must keep in mind this, oil be generally has been made in the oil with a vegetable oil or something like that, cuz that can be deadly to you! Tell if you're adding vegetable oil to you're pure dab / wax or whatever you want to call it these days, then it is definitely a weaker product. so maybe that's where you're getting this $30 a gram for a week or product ? And I'm not sure  what they're turning 1 gram of oil into ,,Phil I don't understand why they made me add on to this paragraph the rest of this is nothing that I said.......??? The problem is the courts have ruled that the only protections are for transfers from a CG to his registered five patients. And the courts have pretty much ruled that there are no protections for oil at all. So anyone running a dispensary and selling oil to any patient is taking a huge gamble.

Edited by phillip
Had to separate what I said from the paragraph I don't understand why I had to add on to that. Draft in my post wasn't separated I'm new here sorry