Full Legalization For Michigan Has Begun

LANSING (WKZO) -- A drive has begun to put the legalization of marijuana for recreational purposes on the Michigan ballot in November of next year.

Jeffrey Hank who is the director of the Michigan Comprehensive Cannibus Law Reform Initiative says he needs 250-thousand signatures to get on the ballot. He says it would allow sales or you could grow up to 12 plants of your own.

He says it would save millions spent on enforcing marijuana laws that could be spent paving roads, and would create 25-thousand jobs.

Other states have legalized it, but tightly regulate production as well to control distribution and taxation of the substance.

http://wincountry.com/news/articles/2015/mar/13/michigan-could-be-next-to-legalize-marijuana/

"tightly regulate production as well to control distribution and taxation of the substance."

this part sounds pretty scary for a legal plant imo. I'm thinking tomatoes and basil, needing no tightly regulated production or any distribution controls. I gladly already pay income tax. I doubt I'll ever be part of an illegal dispensary, so wont ever derive income from marijuana, negating the need for taxation.

Just In!

The Grassmatch Law ! :judge:

"tightly regulate production as well to control distribution and taxation of the substance."

this part sounds pretty scary for a legal plant imo. I'm thinking tomatoes and basil, needing no tightly regulated production or any distribution controls. I gladly already pay income tax. I doubt I'll ever be part of an illegal dispensary, so wont ever derive income from marijuana, negating the need for taxation.

Just In!

The Grassmatch Law ! :judge:

Folks have to try to remember , most people have heard their loud lies about cannabis for so long that they actually believe them .

Tax & Regulate = pilfer & rob the public !

Yeah these are the same guys trying to monopolize the industry in Ohio too. They plan on nullifying the mmma and creating a system where their ten grows supply the whole state. This is the truth it's happening. They are well funded and think they will be able to pull this off in Michigan.

Yeah these are the same guys trying to monopolize the industry in Ohio too. They plan on nullifying the mmma and creating a system where their ten grows supply the whole state. This is the truth it's happening. They are well funded and think they will be able to pull this off in Michigan.

You have got your groups mixed up. The Ohio group is Michigan Responsibility Counsel.

The news said everyone can grow 12 plants. If that's what they are selling I'm in. If everyone could grow 12 plants what a wonderful world it would be. That's close enough for me. Takes away a lot of the 'fakeness'. I don't think law enforcement will 'embrace' that much though. LOL That would be 'game over' for them. 

Edited by Restorium2

Letting everyone grow 12 plants would make the MMMAct a little bit moot. 

As said before, the group wanting to do away with the MMMA is MRC, you know, the republican led effort.

The way I see it, with the republicans knowing a legalization vote will bring out the Democrats in 2016, they want to head that off with there own legalization effort. If they can run it through the legislature there would be no reason for ballot initiative, thus keep some Democrats at home come 2016. Don't be fooled. I'm ready to start collecting signatures.

Thing is, MI won't even implement the MMMA so why would anyone think they could/would implement  full on legalization?

How will growing twelve plants fit into "tax and regulate"?  Permits required?

Whether it is full legalization or strictly medical, I wish they would treat us all fairly and provide opportunity to the people vs. providing opportunity to one entity. They can make money from each method, but if it is only one entity, that one entity could fund their campaigns and make deals vs. the same amount or more money coming in through individuals. This is supposed to be the land of opportunity. It is more the land of rules and regulations. Anyway, I think the best way for them to go about this, to where the state can make money and make our state better instead of using the money for more corruption, the should do something like the DNR with hunting and fishing licenses. They are already making money from patients and caregivers now. If a business is going to be permitted to fire up and sell marijuana, why can't I? That is not fair, that is discrimination. They should make it to where you can have a card to use mj, pay a certain fee. They should add the opportunity, by way of a larger fee, to be able to supply outside of your 5 patients, still, only card holders. Then they should offer a platinum card to where you can provide to anyone 21 and over. I would happily pay $200 - $300 per year for that. A business selling, they should pay the largest fee of them all, like a liquor license. Then they can also bring in revenue through sales tax. It seems like it is not about money, it is more about control and corruption.

Regulations. Who do you think has to come up with those?

Besides, sounds like 13 plants would still be illegal.

over amount of plants = civil infraction. fine only. no jail, no controlled substances. when its a $10 ticket do you think police will bother writing them? or spending months investigating them? with confidential informants? plea deals? over $10 ?? :)

big picture guys, look at the big picture.

legal to grow marijuana, and not that "its still illegal/felony" crap.

Edited by t-pain

Whether it is full legalization or strictly medical, I wish they would treat us all fairly and provide opportunity to the people vs. providing opportunity to one entity. They can make money from each method, but if it is only one entity, that one entity could fund their campaigns and make deals vs. the same amount or more money coming in through individuals. This is supposed to be the land of opportunity. It is more the land of rules and regulations. Anyway, I think the best way for them to go about this, to where the state can make money and make our state better instead of using the money for more corruption, the should do something like the DNR with hunting and fishing licenses. They are already making money from patients and caregivers now. If a business is going to be permitted to fire up and sell marijuana, why can't I? That is not fair, that is discrimination. They should make it to where you can have a card to use mj, pay a certain fee. They should add the opportunity, by way of a larger fee, to be able to supply outside of your 5 patients, still, only card holders. Then they should offer a platinum card to where you can provide to anyone 21 and over. I would happily pay $200 - $300 per year for that. A business selling, they should pay the largest fee of them all, like a liquor license. Then they can also bring in revenue through sales tax. It seems like it is not about money, it is more about control and corruption.

totally agree, i can sell tomatoes on the front yard,, why not marijuana.. disability sucks, a little on the side would help immensely..

But remember , Freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose..

I am leaning towards decriminalization of all drugs. Fully end the War on Drugs, which has been proven to be a complete failure anyway. Besides, about 60% of all drugs brought into this country can be attributed to the CIA according to a recent article I read on MSN. That link is saved somewhere in the abyss of articles I have saved.

Here is a newer article showing that decriminalizing drugs benefited one country. I would rather see people go to the hospital and get a fix than to have to go to the black market. Somebody wants something bad enough, they will get it. People addicted to drugs don't belong in jail, they need help, not punishment. All of the money wasted on punishment could be directed toward helping those in need.

It should not be up to the government to decide what we put in our bodies. They are the drug dealers and pushers. How many chemicals are inside a Happy Meal that are FDA approved? How poisonous are all of the pharmaceutical drugs that are being pushed on us? Not to mention our President just okayed 100% increase in the acceptable radiation levels in sea food. They are not concerned with our health and safety. How many chemicals are mandatory to be sprayed onto tobacco products these days? As they say in Hunger Games, "Don't forget who the real enemy is."

Here is an excerpt and a link to the complete article. Worth the read.

"There is an alternative. You can build a system that is designed to help drug addicts to reconnect with the world -- and so leave behind their addictions.

This isn't theoretical. It is happening. I have seen it. Nearly fifteen years ago, Portugal had one of the worst drug problems in Europe, with 1 percent of the population addicted to heroin. They had tried a drug war, and the problem just kept getting worse. So they decided to do something radically different. They resolved to decriminalize all drugs, and transfer all the money they used to spend on arresting and jailing drug addicts, and spend it instead on reconnecting them -- to their own feelings, and to the wider society. The most crucial step is to get them secure housing, and subsidized jobs so they have a purpose in life, and something to get out of bed for. I watched as they are helped, in warm and welcoming clinics, to learn how to reconnect with their feelings, after years of trauma and stunning them into silence with drugs.

One example I learned about was a group of addicts who were given a loan to set up a removals firm. Suddenly, they were a group, all bonded to each other, and to the society, and responsible for each other's care.

The results of all this are now in. An independent study by the British Journal of Criminology found that since total decriminalization, addiction has fallen, and injecting drug use is down by 50 percent. I'll repeat that: injecting drug use is down by 50 percent. Decriminalization has been such a manifest success that very few people in Portugal want to go back to the old system. The main campaigner against the decriminalization back in 2000 was Joao Figueira, the country's top drug cop. He offered all the dire warnings that we would expect from the Daily Mail or Fox News. But when we sat together in Lisbon, he told me that everything he predicted had not come to pass -- and he now hopes the whole world will follow Portugal's example."

Johann Hari - The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, and It Is Not What You Think Posted: 01/20/2015

over amount of plants = civil infraction. fine only. no jail, no controlled substances. when its a $10 ticket do you think police will bother writing them? or spending months investigating them? with confidential informants? plea deals? over $10 ?? :)big picture guys, look at the big picture.legal to grow marijuana, and not that "its still illegal/felony" crap.

I assume you're not that naive. Michigan! Michissippi dude.

No controlled substance? Fed has not changed a thing.

I'm with T-pain on this one. No matter what's in a proposal we seem to reject it as a collective for either not going far enough or because "I like the way it works now"

Those that I personally met that like things the way they are are obviously lining their pockets, not that there's anything wrong with that necessarily but that doesn't speak for the average man. So they scream to be heard better. Hehe :)

As for it not going far enough my question is "how long do we wait for the perfect proposal ie. Grass is grass, like the Texas politician wants? Do the same folks that think it's not going far enough also think California made a mistake in the late 90's for not going all the way?"

I suspect that at the time said folks were thinking "Hell yeah let's do this!"

My takeaway is that this one sounds pretty darn good to me, sure it leaves a ton of questions but isn't forward movement better than status quo?

Whatever your take on it stay passionate and POSITIVE!!!!!!

I'm with T-pain on this one. No matter what's in a proposal we seem to reject it as a collective for either not going far enough or because "I like the way it works now"

Those that I personally met that like things the way they are are obviously lining their pockets, not that there's anything wrong with that necessarily but that doesn't speak for the average man. So they scream to be heard better. Hehe :)

As for it not going far enough my question is "how long do we wait for the perfect proposal ie. Grass is grass, like the Texas politician wants? Do the same folks that think it's not going far enough also think California made a mistake in the late 90's for not going all the way?"

I suspect that at the time said folks were thinking "Hell yeah let's do this!"

My takeaway is that this one sounds pretty darn good to me, sure it leaves a ton of questions but isn't forward movement better than status quo?

Thanks for all your support if and when it does pass it will make things better for all and Great for medical people following the Law  i would just pay a $100 dollars upfront to grow more

It is important to remember that the program is working well for the vast majority of patients and their caregivers, and is still growing after five years.

Now i can agree to that it does sound a lot better coming from you then me i just can't seam to post as good as some do

i have a big sign that say's Prisons are growing and schools are closing on one side and the other side say's More Bars.  Walls   and Guards 

Thank you very much

From my perspective voting for limited grow rights and/or distribution licenses is the equivalent of quiting & giving in. And often it comes w the thought... well it's better than the sq, or jailing people. We have the opportunity to shape things differently... better than the status quo mentality or sop. Or we can cave & give in because it is easier.

Here's an alternative view qc... we don't limit the number of growers, but rather the size of the grows. It can (will) still address the demand (be it recreational or just medical) and have a lot more people participating and profiting. Competition will be greater & quality will improve. You can still have all the revenue from licensing & taxation, along w all the regulation if so inclined. The difference is the distribution of wealth as a for profit motive exists under both models. We can still decrimalize just the same under either model.

What about giving a leg up to the small guy vs the few & priveleged? Supporting the underdog vs the advataged? Having mom&pop small biz operators vs walmart driving them into oblivion? Having the money shared amongst & within a local community vs sucking it out into a dozen bank accounts?

We do have the opportunity to shape things differently, to change what we see in the world. Or not... go w the next best option because what is sucks more.

I understand that writing these bills has a lot to do w compromise & balancing goals w practical/pragmatic considerations. And the cops/regulators/independent stakeholders all want limited production... which makes my ideal harder to come by. But it is still selling out... for whichever specific reason we may each have, however we may justify going w the flow.

I won't vote for limited production/distribution. There is a better alternative.

• 3 weeks later...