San Francisco Cathedral Soaks The Homeless With Water Every Night, Just Like Jesus Would

Malamute

St. Mary’s Cathedral in San Francisco has come up with a novel way of interpreting that Bible verse where it says, “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in.” They added a new part, which apparently says ,”But once I found a comfy place to rest my head, you super-soaked me repeatedly to make sure that I, a homeless person, could not get ANY sleep, you diccks.” Yes, St. Mary’s is under fire for drenching homeless people with sprinklers at night, in hopes that they might find somewhere else to sleep:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/03/18/homeless-saint-marys-cathedral-archdiocese-san-francisco-intentionally-drenched-water-sleeping/

SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) — KCBS has learned that Saint Mary’s Cathedral, the principal church of the Archdiocese of San Francisco, has installed a watering system to keep the homeless from sleeping in the cathedral’s doorways.

The cathedral, at Geary and Gough, is the home church of the Archbishop. There are four tall side doors, with sheltered alcoves, that attract homeless people at night.

“They actually have signs in there that say, ‘No Trespassing,’” said a homeless man named Robert.

But there are no signs warning the homeless about what happens in these doorways, at various times, all through the night. Water pours from a hole in the ceiling, about 30 feet above, drenching the alcove and anyone in it.

The shower ran for about 75 seconds, every 30 to 60 minutes while we were there, starting before sunset, simultaneously in all four doorways. KCBS witnessed it soak homeless people, and their belongings.

“We’re going to be wet there all night, so hypothermia, cold, all that other stuff could set in. Keeping the church clean, but it could make people sick,” Robert said.

The water doesn’t really clean the area. There are syringes, cigarette butts, soggy clothing and cardboard. There is no drainage system. The water pools on the steps and sidewalks.

A neighbor who witnessed the drenching told KCBS, “I was just shocked, one because it’s inhumane to treat people that way. The second thing is that we are in this terrible drought.

Jennifer Friedenbach, executive director of the Coalition on Homeless said, “It’s very shocking, and very inhumane. There’s not really another way to describe it. Certainly not formed on the basis of Catholic teachings.”

A cathedral staff member confirmed to KCBS the system was installed, perhaps a year ago, to deter the homeless from sleeping there.

Is it holy water? If so, then maybe they are just trying to repeatedly baptize the homeless, but really, folks, that’s not necessary, you only have to be rebaptized a few times, when you start going to a new church that convinces you that your old church didn’t Save You good enough. The Archbishop should know this!

KCBS points out that these sprinklers don’t actually CLEAN anything, as there is no drainage effect happening, and the Cathedral’s people aren’t even pretending it’s not about keeping those gross poors from seeking shelter at the the church:

Chris Lyford, a spokesman for the Archdiocese, said cathedral staff tries hard to help these people.

“We refer them, mostly to Catholic Charities, for example for housing,” Lyford said. “To Saint Anthony’s soup kitchen for food, if they want food on that day. Saint Vincent de Paul if they need clothes.”

But he says they keep coming back, and most seem to have serious substance abuse issues.

“We do the best we can, and supporting the dignity of each person. But there is only so much you can do.”

Some of the homeless bring waterproof gear, even an umbrella, to try to stay dry. Frustrated cathedral employees tell us they don’t have the staff to police the doorways, which are used by churchgoers during services.

Lyford, who says he didn’t know about the water system until we showed it to him, admits it doesn’t seem to be an effective deterrent

Then, suggests this church neighbor, turn it off. “I would hope that they would stop doing this, both for environmental reasons and for common decency.”

KCBS has also learned from a review of city permit records that the system was installed illegally, and may violate water use regulations.

The Archdiocese issued a new statement Wednesday morning about the story, saying the church will address the situation at the Cathedral immediately and will have further comment later in the day.

The statement goes on to say, “Catholic organizations in San Francisco serve thousands of homeless people every year, providing shelter, food, and critical services.  That is the true picture of compassionate Catholic care.”

Romans 15, according to their doctrine(kjv)

Sorry, gm, kjv is not theirs.  Try this ...actually from todays Mass:   . 

[isaiah 49 ]

"...they shall not hunger or thirst, neither scorching wind nor sun shall smite them, for he who has pity on them will lead them, and by springs of water will guide them. "  

Not overly religous these days however I remember the Easter season is very special. The time is called Lent and  after seeing your post and reading this  I thought I had to contribute. The rest of the  reading above is  on my link here seems to have quite a relevant message. He also delivers a decent sermon on the vid, starting around 10:00mins...

Edited by solabeirtan

If the Catholics were to sell the Vatican, the extra land and property they own, and the artwork, they could put that money in a trust fund and solve world hunger off of the interest. 

This does not excuse all other major world religions who could do very similar things as well.

World hunger solved by food education, crop education with sustainable tools, fresh water, supplemental food programs, Feeding anyone who is hungry,....(and offer them a nice shower at bedtime?<snarc>)

If the Catholics were to sell the Vatican, the extra land and property they own, and the artwork, they could put that money in a trust fund and solve world hunger off of the interest. 

This does not excuse all other major world religions who could do very similar things as well.

World hunger solved by food education, crop education with sustainable tools, fresh water, supplemental food programs, Feeding anyone who is hungry,....(and offer them a nice shower at bedtime?<snarc>)

It would be grand if organized religion & religious people in general , would put into practice what they preach instead of taking care of numero uno !

Edited by knucklehead bob

Perhaps if there wasn't so much separatism and a little more unity or understanding there could be enormous strides made in all areas of humanity.  I can assure you that the introduction of the market to subsistence farming has more to do with global hunger since its inception * and dominance around the globe today than most understand. Truth is capitalism is more at fault than any act   of nature could conjure up. Keep beating up the Catholics maybe they'll turn their Cathedrals into gingerbread and save the planet. NOT

" It is only in the past four centuries that food slowly became something to be bought and sold to the highest bidder’ (HfC, p.157). The system of communal responsibility described here in fact goes back to the Neolithic and did indeed survive in peasant communities, despite the rise and fall of empires and, in Europe, the imposition of feudalism, until it was destroyed by capitalism. This is certainly a demonstration that there is nothing inherent in human nature which means that co-operative production and distribution of food is impossible. Whether it is possible to turn the clock back in the way Akram-Lodhi suggests is however less clear."   Hungry for Change!

Yes, almost verbatim, though NAB ver is approved for Caths here

this;

Douay-Rhiems Catholic Bible

Romans 15:1 Now, we that are stronger ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves.

near same line as kjv ? strong should carry the weak..

Romans 15 : 2 {for rest of the sentence}
We who are strong ought to put up with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves;
    let each of us please our neighbor for the good, for building up.

just thought thought this article and the conversation has more to do with bashing the church than doing any good to shed light on a sad chapter of our history and a sign of our times. We'll see how long this practice continues as the water in CA becomes more and more scarce...

Sorry solabeirtan.

I am bashing religion. :-)

I never bash spirituality, but religion constantly. 

I am what they have called me a thousand times, a godless heathen.  Which is like saying hot water heater,... but ya know.

It is the parishioners who decide how their church acts.  Noone can tell me that many of the attendees of this church didn't know about this.  Many probably complained about the homeless which brought the church to decide free showers would help them...

Whoever is running this church should be immediately defrocked?(right word?) and nolonger allowed to live on the gravy train his church provides for him and not the common man.

I always said religion is a great business to be in.

Maybe they should take that vow of poverty, Mother Terresa, was so hot about.  I mean a "real life" Saint was advocating Poverty, and the Catholic Church didn't take heed? 

Poverty: good for the Peons, bad for the Rulers (especially when the poor need a place to sleep).

It is really ironic that the Republicans, some of whom worship Ayn Rand's philosophy of Social Darwinism, have a lock on the Conservative Christian constituency. Ayn Rand, who was an atheist, godless heathen, advocated survival of the fittest in social policy - a philosophy that she apparently adapted from Darwin's ideas on evolution. However, scholars who know Darwin's work have pointed out that, while many species do cull their ranks by letting the sick and disabled die ASAP, other species are more concerned with the overall survival of each individual within the group. These species have an innate desire to help each individual survive and will show concern for sick or injured members. Scientists postulate that this concern showed to fellow group members helps assure survival of the species because each member desires to help all the others to survive - they care about each other.

Now, how do Christian Conservatives square their religious beliefs with those of Ayn Rand? What is going on here?

There appears to be a completely different (possibly genetic?) difference between Republicans and Democrats in their philosophy of life. Republicans preach their belief in Christianity, but their actions don't seem to follow their words. Seems like some churches would call them out on this.

Sorry solabeirtan.

I am bashing religion. :-)

I never bash spirituality, but religion constantly. 

I am what they have called me a thousand times, a godless heathen.  Which is like saying hot water heater,... but ya know.

It is the parishioners who decide how their church acts.  Noone can tell me that many of the attendees of this church didn't know about this.  Many probably complained about the homeless which brought the church to decide free showers would help them...

Whoever is running this church should be immediately defrocked?(right word?) and nolonger allowed to live on the gravy train his church provides for him and not the common man.

I always said religion is a great business to be in.

Ok Mal so how is religion different than spirituality?

One thing you have confused about  the Catholic Church is that it's any form of democracy.

So now we're getting somewhere. Isn't it then about a form of mind control, or soul control or state controls. We the parisheners, voters, and/or mind trippers are equally the ones responsible.  Yes its quite a 'business' and they dont charge interest!

Ok Mal so how is religion different than spirituality?

One thing you have confused about  the Catholic Church is that it's any form of democracy.

So now we're getting somewhere. Isn't it then about a form of mind control, or soul control or state controls. We the parisheners, voters, and/or mind trippers are equally the ones responsible.  Yes its quite a 'business' and they dont charge interest!

Well, religion is a corporate entity formed to make money off of the gullible and to keep jews, Egyptians and sumerians from sleeping with their sheep.

Spirituality is a state of mind.  Acting spiritual. 

(btw, that was full of snark)

Spirituality is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).

There is not one religion, but hundreds

There is only one type of spirituality

Religion is for those who want to continue rituals and the formality

Spirituality is for those who want to reach the Spiritual Ascent without dogmas

Religion is for those who are asleep

Spirituality is for those who are awake

Religion is for those that require guidance from others

Spirituality is for those that lend ears to their inner voice

Religion has a dogmatic and unquestionable assembly of rules that need to be followed without question

Spirituality invites you to reason it all, to question it all and to decide your actions and assume the consequences

Religion threatens and terrifies

Spirituality gives you inner peace

Religion speaks of sin and of fault

Spirituality encourages "living in the present" and not to feel remorse for which has already passed - Lift your spirit and learn from errors

Religion represses humanity, and returns us to a false paradigm

Spirituality transcends it all and makes you true to yourself

Religion is instilled from childhood, like the soup you do not you want to take

Spirituality is the food that you you seek, that satisfies you and is pleasant to the senses

Religion is not God

Spirituality is infinite consciousness and all that is - It is God

Religion invents

Spirituality discovers

Religion does not investigate and does not question

Spirituality questions everything

Religion is based on humanity, an organization with rules

Spirituality is DIVINE, WITHOUT rules

Religion is cause for division

Spirituality is cause for union

Religion seeks you so that you create

Spirituality causes you to seek

Religion continues the teachings of a sacred book

Spirituality seeks the sacredness in all the books

Religion is fed fear

Spirituality is fed confidence

Religion lives you in your thoughts

Spirituality lives in your conscience

Religion is in charge of the "to do"

Spirituality is in charge of the "to BE"

Religion is a dialectic

Spirituality is logic

Religion feeds the ego

Spirituality makes you transcend

Religion makes you renounce yourself to the world

Spirituality makes you live with God, not to renounce him

Religion is adoration

Spirituality is meditation

Religion is to continue adapting to the psychology of a template

Spirituality is individuality.

Religion dreams of glory and paradise

Spirituality makes you live it here and now

Religion lives in the past and in the future

Spirituality lives in the present, in the here and now

Religion lives in the confinement of your memory

Spirituality is LIBERTY in AWARENESS.

Religion believes in the eternal life

Spirituality makes you conscious of all that is

Religion gives you promises for the after-life

Spirituality gives you the light to find God in your inner self, in this life, in the present, in the here and the now…

Religion is belief in someone elses experience

Spirituality is having your own experience

And etc blah blah blah...

I am generally not religious nor spiritual; but most would say I live an exceedingly 'moral' life of selflessness, caring and empathy and a fierce sense of justice and what is 'right'.  :-)

Snark snark.  Not wanting to get too personal and this is certainly not meant to offend but then one might say spirituality is a more personal thing. Kinda like the cloud metaphor, like what cloud are you on, get off my cloud,.... and now Amazon has a cloud, and Microsoft, bla bla...

Whereas religion is more about a community thing or a sense of duty maybe. It is difficult for me to consider religion without an element of spirituality there.  I tend to be more in the spiritual realm these days myself but I still aspire to be more religious.  I also aspire to lose some weight. To be a better person...  and on and on ... So in my little world I can have both. And you can too. Enjoy.   

It is not to difficult for any of us, Im sure to imagine some form of spirtuality.   This is a good thing too I think at least it's some common ground.

I guess we're getting more religous here in the US these days too as the Interest Rate on my savings account is almost zero and wall street is over 18k. Wha 'tf 's wrong with this picture? I just wanna testify!

Robbing Peter and peeing on Paul.

Checked yesterday on Savings Interest , Wells Fargo .01%  ; 

Mortgage Rate last week 3.95% did a little mathe theire :

.01% / 3.95%  =  39,500% interest the banks making

after 6+ years of QE at 50 billion in MBE {real estate} buybacks per month

Utterly shamefull Im forced to concede to condone these rates

:money:

Edited by solabeirtan