Becoming A Care Taker

ShellyFitz29

Hello all, great to be here.  I have been reading a lot these last few days and have a question on becoming a Care Taker.

How does one legally get through the induction phase of the process.  I mean, if I were to become one, I would need to have a patient before I could start to grow.  But I would guess that in the time it takes to grow, a patient would become tired of waiting, going to another provider, leaving me illegal and having to start all over again.

How does one legally start out?

Also, where does one go to purchase quality seeds to start the process if they are illegal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I personally would recommend becoming a patient yourself & starting with those 12 plants. Then u can better assess where u r at & whether or not taking on a patient is feasible. That's likely the 'best' route.

Seeds r pretty easy, depending. Mail has been the traditional route, but there are local options for existing patients/cgs that would make for a safer route. Support a local breeder, we have them.

Welcome & stay safe out there.

Hi there and welcome to the forum, the info you're looking for on becoming a Caregiver (Not sure if you got confused, but that's perfectly alright) can be found right here on the site--- http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/page/articles/caregivers/becoming-a-caregiver

In regards to obtaining genetics and seeds, have yourself a go at the modern wonder of Google, I am told it is a treasure trove and a private sleuth all in one. Another way to go about obtaining genetics would be to check your local compassion club, though some people would frown on that.

Enjoy your time on the forum, keep it legal, keep it safe.

grow and love your own before you register anyone. This will go along way in your registry to keep long term good people

with you. search the forum for a seeds thread for good info and links. start a blog here, become a member, when you love your garden habits

and your produce, place an ad the forum classifieds..

cannabis cup winners are the perfect seeds to start with imo. 

If you are becoming a caregiver to make money forget it theres no money to be made in the Medial marijuana program unless you break the law most caregivers break even I know exactly how much Ive made in the 6 years of the program and you could make more working at Mcdonalds

you have it right, need a patient to be legal.

can't grow until patient signs you up and then it takes 3 months to harvest...

kind of a chicken and egg problem. many cg start as patients or grow for friend or family who are OK with waiting.

Thank you for all the input.  My son is a patient now with someone, and I will be as soon as I find and see a doctor.  I hope to get to one by next week so I can start the process.  I will get my sister in as well.

My son has had issues with migrane headaches for years, and blackouts, and I am thus far a cancer survivor.  My sister who is 60 has just went through Chemo and other treatments for uterine cancer as well and will be a patient when she leaves work in May.  She could not get into this as she was afraid of losing her retirement so she is hoping to make it until then.

Again, thank you.

That's a good number of potential patients that are close to you. I can see why you're planning ahead.

As soon as you are ready, there are folks here who could get you spun up with what to buy first for your young and vegging plants. During that time you can hunt around for lights for flower.

Since one patient can only have 12 plants, you'll learn here how to manage a "continuous grow" where you start a couple of plants each month, while you are harvesting a plant or two that month. 

So having answers to your questions and advice from caregivers (and patients who grow) can help you get going and stay legal.

my first legal garden was began this way ^^. With half of my limit planted in veg the first day. I chose to flower one plant in a separate tent every 5 days(after I vegged a ridiculous 2 months) and cloned it once before I moved it. It all worked out and was a good habit to start with. I flower several plants ever week now with more patients and go for a smaller yield/larger variety goal. I used to keep giants in veg until I needed them but now, with half the light, severalX the selection, I flower when they're around 18 inches, trained for a four cola tree, around 2 ounces per when trimmed/dry. Works out perfect with 20+ strains always alive.

good luck, be honest and fair with your patients, don't harvest early, put away some money for legal fees/ garden issues just in case and grow organic if you can. =advice

peace

At the risk of sounding abrasive, I'd encourage the OP to stick to the current/legal terms. So use the legally-defined term, "caregiver" rather than the somewhat vernacular equivalent term, "care taker." In the michigan MMJ world, there is no such thing as a "caretaker." If nothing else, using errant terms might show you don't have a solid command of MMJ laws in michigan. I realize that it is all semantics and they are one and the same in general and common terms. ... but if you are meeting with a new patient suffering from a debilitating condition, it just sounds better to be a "giver," rather than a "taker." And if you are at the side of the road with LEOs lights strobing behind you, the same analysis applies.

There are no MMJ caretakers in michigan, but there are about 30,000 caregivers.

I could be waaaay off base here, but it's worth discussing.

At the risk of sounding abrasive, I'd encourage the OP to stick to the current/legal terms. So use the legally-defined term, "caregiver" rather than the somewhat vernacular equivalent term, "care taker." In the michigan MMJ world, there is no such thing as a "caretaker." If nothing else, using errant terms might show you don't have a solid command of MMJ laws in michigan. I realize that it is all semantics and they are one and the same in general and common terms. ... but if you are meeting with a new patient suffering from a debilitating condition, it just sounds better to be a "giver," rather than a "taker." And if you are at the side of the road with LEOs lights strobing behind you, the same analysis applies.

There are no MMJ caretakers in michigan, but there are about 30,000 caregivers.

I could be waaaay off base here, but it's worth discussing.

I wouldnt call that abrasive at all. Proper terms and title shows you at least have some understanding of the law and anyone venturing into this should have a solid understanding of the law. I know that is why you are asking the questions op and that is a good start. Do yourself and any potential patients a huge favor and go read the law a number of times and make sure you understand it. It is a good idea to know it inside and out as a patient and a caregiver. All the best of luck to you as a patient and one day as a caregiver. Welcome to the forum and the program.

Here is a link to the State website where you can read the entire law and a breakdown of the rules and proceedures.

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_63294_63303_51869---,00.html

Ageed on both counts, and I thank you for that.  I hope to go to a compassion meeting soon as well.  The more I speak with people on a regular basis, and the more I read, the better I shall become.  Abrasive, nope, good advice and direction, fot darn sure.  Appreciated, HELL YEAH!

Again, I thiank you all and appreciate all support and comments which are helpful and kind.

As someone once mentioned the MMMA is not a Cargivers enrichment act.

Consider a legal twelve plant grow. Twelve 120-day plants from cuttings will typically yield two-to-three ounces of useable MMJ.

Say $500/plant in revenue for an average dirt-based caregiver. That's just six-grand three times-year or eighteen-thousand gross for each card. The typical fixed costs run at least fifty-percent for dirt, supplies and chemicals and often more. As previously posted, MacDonalds pays more on a per/hour basis, has better benefits, the checks don't bounce and you can get some nice freebies (as opposed to being a caregiver when the exact opposite can occur).

Growing indoors is a LOT of work and fraught with risks. Bugs, diseases, pH, water, and fertilizers are all variables that require at least some experience to master before the outcome can be considered MMJ. Maintaining an indoor garden requires constant care. Caring for a bedridden parent is less confining than being a caregiver. Don't plan on taking more than a day or two off and there will be constant worry when you do.

Then there are the patients themselves. Want to turn a great friendship into a nightmare? The caregiver to patient relationship has accomplished that feat in many instances.

Lastly there are the arrest-and-punishment Prohibitionists. Maybe they are less active in some locales than others but in general one should assume the worst. It is prudent to memorize a cannabis attorney's phone number and be prepared for the unwanted no-knock door smash ninja attack. And civil forfeiture. Any guns in the house and it will be even worse. Secrecy is still the best protection. Tell no one and never toss anything into your trash that might be related to mmj.

Except for those negatives and countless others not mentioned, being a caregiver/patient/grower has its rewards, especially during the long, dark MI winter. Less heat issues and bug activity make life easier and sitting in a bright, warm space with a couple healthy, flowering plants while old-man winter does his worst outside is an experience anyone who benefits from mmj will find worth the costs.

Like Highlander, I don't want to be abrasive but these are lessons many of us have learned the hard way. It is my sincere hope you will have nothing but good outcomes. If you ever need help, this is a great place to start.

Welcome aboard.

Edited by outsideinthecold

Well said, outsideinthecold.  Over the last couple of years, I've been asked by a few people what they need to do to become a caregiver.  I've told them that if I knew in 2009 what I know today, I would not have become a caregiver - but once you invest in the equipment, genetics, etc. to be a caregiver, it is hard to turn away from it now.  I'm not trying to be discouraging, but knowing what I know now, there is no way I'd try to become a caregiver at this point...not to say that it is a bad idea...but any new CG should be prepared for a steep learning curve.  You really do have to be a "grow geek" and derive satisfaction from the entire process to make it worthwhile.  Any CG looking to enter the program at this point shouldn't count on making any money and should find their primary motivation from some other avenue, because the money simply isn't there.

When I first registered, if I could have found the quality of product I insisted on, at the same price my patients give to me, I would have only grown for myself. If I was aware of the sleepless nights and law stresses, I wouldn't have registered my use in the first place. That card felt like a bulls eye on my azz for years..

I couldn't figure out in the heck cops always seem to know which grower was six plants over, or had a sack hidden in his closet, or expired card while possessing, and that sort of thing. It seemed like I was hearing of more m busts than when there was no law.  getting my card made me cross my T's and dot my I's is all, not a bad thing really.  before the program I thought getting caught violating an mj law was trivial, now I see it as life changing.

I am trying to keep up.  But struggling a little.  I want to keep clean and legal.

1.  I will be starting by becoming a patient (working on that now), but when I do this, I should state that I will be in possession of my own plants, correct?  My intent is to start this process using my own illness (Cancer) and then once I get going, I was thinking of 12 plants, 6 of my strain, 6 for my sons.  Once my son switches over, I will then move to 24 plants, 9 for myself, 9 for his, and 6 for my sisters strain (which may be the same I use, we will see as I get further into research.).  Once she becomes a patient, I will then go to 36 plants, 12 for me, 12 for my sons condition, and 12 for my sister.

Does this sound correct, safe, and legal?  This is not about me making money, or losing any for that matter.  I came up with this idea to help my family, especially my sister as she is the most severe right now.  So there will be no charges per say, we will instead be simply splitting all costs 3 ways and I get a free dinner out now and again for my time and efforts.

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome and appreciated, more that you can know.  So THANK YOU