Hey Look! A New Way To Make A Preparation Thereof.

The word rosin is pronounced, raw zin (rhymes with sin).

I suppose Canadians (who say "aboot" for about), might mispronounce other words, but I feel they are mispronouncing it phonetically, in which case rosin would be mistakenly pronounced, row zin

Same goes for resin: it's not pronounced ree zin.

Edited by rockinsteady

Alright, so, tried this last night. What came out was actually pretty darn awesome. I have to state that I WONT be using this method to down full ounces, BUT I WILL be making personal stash using this method on occasion. 

It had "good" yield by extraction comparison (I only used half of an ounce for reference), and was pretty good. Very smooth even.

The TL:DR of Watch version of that whole video-

What you need-

Hair iron (Flat Iron- Must dial to 400-450)

Parchment Paper

Material

The dry sift part(Ie, the ENTIRE first video) isnt entirely necessary for the watching imo. 

As per what to do with the leftovers after, they are still usable material, though I

m not sure for what. I will try smoking some to see what it does by comparison.

Edited by AbominableDro-Man

Would also like to add, I ground up the squished buds (what was left) and put them into capsules and ingested them. Will see if it does anything.

Also, this works a lot better at higher temps, mostly like 375-400 for 2-3 seconds, then done.

I wonder if the heat and time (seconds) of the flash-extraction may not have decarboxylated the squished pot completely. 

With your squished, post-RosinTech'ed pot, try eating some without further decarboxylation and some that you decarboxylated as you would normally. All that heat might hurt more than help. Who knows?

I tried RosinTech extraction with a flat iron and parchment paper (since I had both lying around already). I didn't use high enough temperatures (I used an IR thermometer gun to get a 350 degree reading) and got only wet-looking mess that I couldn't lift off the parchment paper. The paper I have is white rather than brown, for what it's worth.

I'll try again with my iron at higher temps (I only got up to 350 degs, I think), and I'll eat some squished pot in capsules and try further decarb-ing as I suggested above. I'll be more careful and record my results.

Remember that shiny surfaces will read a lot cooler with an IR temperature gun and the reading will be unreliable (measuring the temp of the shiny surface along with what is reflected in the shiny surface). I put a piece of black paper cut from a dark photo in a magazine between the parchment paper and pressed the iron for 8 seconds or so to warm everything up as if a bud was in there. I then quickly opened the parchment paper and pointed the IR gun at the black paper. 

Edited by rockinsteady

The flat iron I have has a digi reading on it for temp, I went to 400 and it produced good results. I should mention that I also pressed the buds twice, some of them three times much like the guy in the video. I do use brown parchment paper for reference, not the white. I believe the white may, and dont quote me here cuz I may be wrong, but may have some sort of odd-coating on it.

wow wow wow, I scraped the parchment paper that had one-buds worth of oil on it and got about three pin-heads worth (as the crow flies), and wow wow wow wow when I smoked it (I've never done oil and don't have an oil rig).

It produced a lot more smoke than I expected. I dropped the glob of oil onto a bed of ashes in my bong. I lit it very lightly so it would just glow on one side and creep across the glob.

wowowowow

Edited by rockinsteady

The flat iron I have has a digi reading on it for temp, I went to 400 and it produced good results. I should mention that I also pressed the buds twice, some of them three times much like the guy in the video. I do use brown parchment paper for reference, not the white. I believe the white may, and dont quote me here cuz I may be wrong, but may have some sort of odd-coating on it.

It was either the oil or the coating that got me high. hehe

I scraped with a knife blade and got more than when I used a razor blade. I pushed the razor hard with quick back and forth movements to finally get oil on the edge.

I had wondered if a wax coating was coming off. Parchment paper is made for baking and could survive above normal combustion temp of regular paper (451 deg F according to Ray Bradbury), so you would think those temps would smoke any wax but I just found that the boiling point (not melting point or flash point) for paraffin wax is 698 def F! That is way above normal "oven temps"!

No telling whether the coating (if the white parchment paper has a coating or if it is any different than the brown paper) is simply wax or not.

Oh, I googled it and parchment paper "usually" has a silicone coating, whatever that means.

Edited by rockinsteady

I had wondered if a wax coating was coming off.

Parchment paper shouldn't have any wax on it. Parchment paper and wax paper are two different things.

There is a parchment paper that's coated with silicone and one that is coated with bentonite or other chalky substances. The chalky coated kind is usually sold as bakery release paper.

I think I'd make sure to use a brand that is nothing but paper with no additives just to be on the safe side.

Parchment paper shouldn't have any wax on it. Parchment paper and wax paper are two different things.

There is a parchment paper that's coated with silicone and one that is coated with bentonite or other chalky substances. The chalky coated kind is usually sold as bakery release paper.

I think I'd make sure to use a brand that is nothing but paper with no additives just to be on the safe side.

This is real parchment paper in big cookie-pan size sheets from a restaurant supply company, and is thicker than wax paper. I bought a load of this paper when I thought I'd be baking cookies with canna butter as my main way of ingesting. I now decarboxylate my pot with heat and eat it in gelatin capsules. Now I have a use for my parchment paper: RosinTech!

Anyway, I scrapped my white parchment paper with the razor blade with the same vigor in a spot with no oil on it, and came up with what was obviously fibers, even without looking through my magnifying glass.

I'd conclude that some fibers were mixed in with the oil I scrapped up and smoked, but fibers alone don't look like oil: it was fluffy and all.

I'll try a flat-iron extraction at a higher temp and perhaps I'll get something more like what is in the YouTube video where they can dab it up easily, letting the glob on the tool pick oil off the paper, rather than abrading the paper with a razor blade like had to do.

Edited by rockinsteady

With my flat iron, I get the same results as I did a few days ago: light, oily patches but nothing thick enough to dab up. So I scrapped my white parchment paper with a razor blade and did get enough for a small hit.

Measuring the temp: My iron gets hot enough because I lightly scorched some white cloth by leaving the iron on it for a minute. I measured the cloth's temp with my two IR temp guns which are under 10 deg F apart in readings. I only got 375 deg F when I lifted the iron part way off the cloth so it wouldn't cool too quickly. If I left the IR gun on the cloth as it cooled, temp dropped perhaps 10 degrees a second or more. So I had to be quick to take the measurement.

The extraction: For 8 to 10 seconds, I pressed firmly while sliding the flat iron over the bud sandwiched in the parchment paper. If I only press for 5 seconds, I get very little oil at all. I pressed for the additional secons since I wasn't heating from both sides as with a hair straightening iron.

Conclusion: I need to buy a hair straightening iron for a properly trial. I'll look for the "Revlon Perfect Heat" hair straightener mentioned in the YouTube video. Is that the brand that you see most in these videos? 

Edited by rockinsteady

I'm reminded of the "hot knives" method of smoking hash: heat two butter knives or what have you, then smash a small piece of hash between the two while inhaling the vapor/smoke via a glass straw, soda straw or plastic tubing. You pick up the hash with one hot knife: it will stick to the first knife that touches it.

I wonder if you could dispense with the parchment paper, and just jam a bud between the hair straightening iron's jaws and just get a hit off what vapor emerges. Temps of 350 deg F would be plenty to vaporize oil. Hair straighteners must all use similar temps so as to avoid scorching the hair too much.

What maximum temps do hair straighteners reach?

Has anyone here or on the Net tried this?

Edited by rockinsteady

Nope. However, after the day (and actually taking to time to do an ounce of excess this way)- I've decided that all in all, I think I do prefer Ntane dabs in the end. 

Comparing these and those N-Dabs side by side, I'd say the taste about the same, and have about the same level of smoothness even.

Good method for personal quick stuff, but probably wont be a repeat after the realization of the novelty of it wearing off.

----edit

I'm entirely unsure of my model of straightener, only that it is a larger square model and has a therm on it (it goes to 455).

Like I said though, this likely wont be a repeat, I'd rather keep doing what I've been doin because it's been workin. :bong7bp:

Ah, my "excess" consisted only of the finest dried manicured buds. Many of them broken down to smaller sizes for this experiment. I try to avoid using trim and the like for my concentrates if possible and stick to the best material available.  Though, I will use trim after a nice harvest.

edit-

I can't say I did weigh it, though I have now after smoking a bit of it. a little more than 1.5grams left out of what there was. On a general note,(using Ntane) I'd say that on average I end up with about 7grams of "goo" as I call it from 50grams of material (50g of bud run that is, I'm unsure as to the norm for trim runs). Probably averages out more in the 6-6.5gram area.

I'm going to be attempting GG's ND Sap technique using the Kleenxtract and see how that does as well, then drying it up/maybe light filtering. I quite enjoy smoke-able concentrates 

Does everyone hear a "sizzle" like they mention in the video? I'm wondering if the water vapor shooting out of the bud upon squishing/heating it, drives more oil out of the bud and onto the paper. If my pot is too dry, maybe that's why I don't get good results with my flat iron.

I keep my pot very dry (to reduce weight, don't even get me started). I figure if the moisture in my bud is going to count against my 2.5 oz, I'll dry it in a dehydrator and seal it up. Usually a "normal bud" would feel spongy, not crushing and powdering between your fingers.

According to my digital humidity meter, a bag of dried, cured pot would read 60% relative humidity (the air around the bud, not the moisture in the bud itself). Inside a bag, my dehydrator dried pot reads 40% (again, the air in the bag). In  a room, 60% "relative humidity" would feel a bit muggy (like in a vegging grow tent), while 40% air would feel dry (like during the winter when moisture is lacking in homes).

So, I'm going to try three experiments with:

1. my dry pot

2. slightly re-hydrated so a bag of it reads 60% on the meter, and

3. too hydrated, at over 60% (perhaps where the bud feels un-dried and soggy)

That may answer the question if the water in the bud helps with the extraction.

I ordered a Revlon hair straightener, so I can try the experiment with:

a. my flat clothes iron and

b. the hair iron I'll get in the mail soon.

I'll re-hydrate my pot by either placing an slice of apple in the bag, or just squirt a bit of water on the inner surface of the bag: it shouldn't take much water, I suppose. 

edit: add word "relative" in third paragraph: "cured pot would read 60% relative humidity "

Edited by rockinsteady

is this any different than the same plant oils/waxes that collect on scissors, fingers, or purposely collected for hash?

reason I ask is yield and waste. Much higher yields can be had with a dry micron sift to collect trichomes. If oil is desired it can be heated to melt.

Ultimately this must leave oils in and out of the plant material, ruining the bud by heating squishing, robbing it of essential oils, and an incomplete extraction of oils?

what am I missing?