Haven't Had My Card Since 2012...looking To Get It Again As A "new Patient".

I've been a longtime lurker/poster here at these forums since I first became a patient in 2009, but I couldn't remember my old username, so here we are.  Now I need a bit of guidance.  I had my card from 2009 until 2012.  I let it expire because I was going to be moving, but that didn't end up happening.  I've been getting my medicine without my card since then to take care of my issues.  Now that I'm looking to get my card again after three years, I'm having an issue.  Most doctors who do recommendations require that the medical records documenting your qualifying condition be current within two or three years.  The problem is that I barely ever see my primary doctor, and I haven't been having issues with my conditions anyway, because I've been using cannabis.  The records I have of doctor's visits within the past three years would have no mention of my conditions, because I haven't had to mention them.  My primary doctor doesn't know that I use cannabis.

I tried contacting one clinic about this issue, and they've failed to respond so far.  I think I still have my old records laying around, or I'm sure I could get copies of the last set of notes I used to get my recommendation in 2012.  One would think that the most recent records I can find, combined with my previous cardholder history would be enough for a cannabis-friendly doctor to sign a recommendation, but the requirements they have say otherwise.

Does it get recorded even if I say things are going well with my conditions?  :P

I don't really want to lie and say I've been having troubles.  It might lead to more detailed probing, literally.  I have IBS and GERD.  I just went in for a separate issue and I had mentioned to the doctor how I'd changed my diet to lose weight, and it had also helped with the conditions listed above.  I don't know if that's enough to get it recorded though.

i think the old records will be ok.

whats the test for ibs/gerd ? you have those old test records?

also if you can , bring in whatever notes/chart from your current dr, even if you only see him once a year. the cert dr just wants to make sure you are still going to a dr.

of course there are requirements that you still have to be suffering to be qualified in the program. i think if you tell your cert dr about all the marijuana you use, and what happens when you miss a dose, etc.. that will be enough for a cert.

good luck

Edited by t-pain

Ask your doctor to give you some prescriptions to help with your conditions. That way you have verifiable proof that the conditions are being treated.

I have been on medications in the past, and that is in the old records.  Prilosec for the GERD, but I've never tried conventional medicine for the IBS because I didn't like how the possible side-effects sounded.  Given that I just got done telling her how much better I've been doing because of my new eating habits, it would seem odd to request medication now.

i think the old records will be ok.

whats the test for ibs/gerd ? you have those old test records?

also if you can , bring in whatever notes/chart from your current dr, even if you only see him once a year. the cert dr just wants to make sure you are still going to a dr.

of course there are requirements that you still have to be suffering to be qualified in the program. i think if you tell your cert dr about all the marijuana you use, and what happens when you miss a dose, etc.. that will be enough for a cert.

good luck

The test was a colonoscopy/endoscopy with a camera up my backside and a camera down my throat.  I'm sure I either have the record of that procedure around from previous certification visits, or I could easily get my hands on them.  And I could easily get a copy of a few of my most recent doctor's visits, even though they don't mention my qualifying conditions.  It would be great if they put that bit in there from my last visit about the conditions improving due to my eating habits changing, but I can't be sure yet.

I'm not so much worried about the requirements of the law for the doctor to sign it, because I know I'm covered there.  I never had a problem with that, but I never was without recent chart notes for a new re-certification either.  I was just speaking to the requirements that most clinics have for how recent the doctor's notes on your condition have to be.

Edited by dabuddha