Don't Forget To Vote On The Road Funding Proposal

I should have posted on this sooner.

Any economist worth 12 cents understands that sales tax is a regressive tax.....in other words, proportionally, it affects the poor more than the rich (not poor). I'm not in favor of any tax that disproportionally burdens the poor, which this tax hike does.

People like to play games with word use. For example, you might say that the proposed tax amounts to a paltry 0.86 percentage point increase in a tax increase OR, as accurately, you can say that the proposed tax increase results in a 16% increase in sales tax. What??.

Statistics = gamesmanship. And when people don't understand the difference between percent and percentage, it all breaks down.

Again, see through the crap. A .86 percentage increase in sales tax is the same as a 16% increase.

Please vote accordingly.

The State revenues are roughly $50,000,000,000. That's fifty billion.

Prop 1 raises revenues $2,130,000,000. That's two-point-one-three billion.

Prop 1 is a tax increase of over four percent.

Anyone want to guess how much the State makes up in unfounded public sector retirement benefits each year?

Michigan will spend about $114 per capita on roads this year. Illinois and Indiana spend four or five times more.

Poor road maintenance starts with poor budget and fiscal management. Neither party is blameless. Neither has any solution.

Sort of like the rich versus poor argument. Good politics isn't necessarily good economics.

There is no cure for big government, bad parents, and bigotry.

The State revenues are roughly $50,000,000,000. That's fifty billion.

Prop 1 raises revenues $2,130,000,000. That's two-point-one-three billion.

Prop 1 is a tax increase of over four percent.

Anyone want to guess how much the State makes up in unfounded public sector retirement benefits each year?

Michigan will spend about $114 per capita on roads this year. Illinois and Indiana spend four or five times more.

Poor road maintenance starts with poor budget and fiscal management. Neither party is blameless. Neither has any solution.

Sort of like the rich versus poor argument. Good politics isn't necessarily good economics.

There is no cure for big government, bad parents, and bigotry.

You mean un-funded ? 

Edited by knucklehead bob

If we quit subsidizing diesel gas/trucks who do the most damage to the roads and charged them the same tax we charge unleaded gas/cars, it would even up the money a little for roads.  Michigan is one of the few states that subsidizes trucking. Most states charge either the same tax diesel/unleaded, or MORE for diesel.   :-)

Yep, underfunded pensions not unfounded. What is interesting about the fifty billion retiree pension gap is the budget projects an 8% return.

This year the shortfall will be two billion. Is it coincidence the sales tax increase would cover this hole if it had passed?

But now comes the fun part; watching the political pigs try to save their place at the trough.

Personally I believe our current MMJ status is the best we can hope for even with its flaws.

What worries me is sooner or later the pot-for-potholes crowd may finally get some traction and when have any pols done anything to make our journey easier?

Edited by outsideinthecold

I drive a diesel Jeep Liberty....I already pay more for fuel than you pay for gas....Diesel is a by product of gas too....HJ

Tax the big rigs, EVERYTHING gets pricier all at once.

There really is only a few states  that subsidize diesel.  Michigan being one.

19/gallon for regular/unleaded.

15/gallon for diesel.

Just make it equal. 

It isn't going to solve the issue, it isn't going to make goods cost more, it is simply going to make the taxes more fair and make those that destroy the roads more pay a fair share for its upkeep.

It isn't like I said create toll roads.

There really is only a few states  that subsidize diesel.  Michigan being one.

19/gallon for regular/unleaded.

15/gallon for diesel.

Just make it equal. 

It isn't going to solve the issue, it isn't going to make goods cost more, it is simply going to make the taxes more fair and make those that destroy the roads more pay a fair share for its upkeep.

It isn't like I said create toll roads.

Heh...yeah toll roads.

I just took my kids to DC and paid about as much to OH and PA turnpike fees as I paid for gas.

I think, in general, people are incredibly aggravated with the failure of our state government.  I, personally, want to know why they are trying to raise our taxes in a period of economic (and hence state revenue) GROWTH.  Where is all the extra money going?

In 2009-2010 fiscal year, our state revenue was $20.26 Billion.  Over the next three years our revenue was $4.96 Billion OVER that baseline.  So while we may have been in a deficit situation, why do we need to raise even MORE money for basic needs such as core infrastructure.

Spending has gone up dramatically, but apparently not to fund roads, schools or the EIC.  Where is it going? 

"Between fiscal years 2013 and 2014, total government spending in Michigan increased by approximately $4.2 billion, from $47.1 billion in fiscal year 2013 to an estimated $51.2 billion in 2014. This represents an 8.8 percent increase. The cumulative rate of inflation during the same period was 1.58 percent, calculated using the Consumer Price Indices for January 2013 and January 2014."

(http://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_state_budget_and_finances)

And whatever happened to the $1 Billion dollar SURPLUS that we didn't know what to do with just a short 16 months ago?

http://archive.freep.com/article/20140110/NEWS06/301100103/Michigan-budget-tax-revenue

Our revenue is going up, our spending is going up, we are actually having surpluses, and we need to raise ANOTHER $2 Billion for basic services?

Honestly, I just don't know how you can do your job more poorly than our current representation in Lansing.

yep, just keep giving them more money to spend and keep believing it will trickle down, and just keep asking why this makes no sense, argue about dems vs repubs, keep your eye off of the ball, hate the enemy, but keep paying, keep voting, and stay blind.

If we keep on doing what we've always done we'll keep on getting what we've always got. Stay sane and keep your hands on the handle at all times.

If truckers are required to pay MORE taxes than they currently do, who would  believe that goods delivered by those truckers will not cost more to arrive at their destination. simple concept really.

4 cents a gallon will make a difference when gas prices already fluctuate as much as 50 cents a month?

Besides, when gas hit 4 bucks a gallon everyone adjusted up their costs of delivery and since gas dropped to 2.50. no one has brought them down. So, should truckers and businesses be refunding the delivery costs that became inflated when gas prices surged? Or should they simply pay an equal amount towards the damage they cause to our roads?

Charge everyone the same gas tax.