Flint Marijuana Dispensaries Get Back In Business After Crackdown

FLINT, MI -- The city has given three dispensaries the green light to fill orders from medical marijuana patients, the first businesses approved to return to the marketplace since a crackdown late last month.

Flint Director of Planning Megan Hunter said Friday, May 15, that three businesses -- Green Bean West, 1625 W. Atherton Road; Sweet Leaf, 400 S. Dort Highway; and Green Culture, 808 S. Center Road -- were cleared to open this week.

Representatives of the three dispensaries announced the achievement in a news release and scheduled a news conference.

Although 14 marijuana dispensaries have been through the city's site plan review process, all were ordered to shut down by the city late last month after officials claimed they had problems ranging from overdue taxes to building and fire code violations.

"This is a (day for) celebrating the end of a long process," said Rick Thompson, a member of the Michigan chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. "The main thing is, the city is to be congratulated for doing this.

"The industry is willing to leap through these hoops as long as we know" what they are, Thompson said.

Just four weeks ago, Flint Police Chief James Tolbert said the city was drawing a line in the sand with dispensaries, some of which also cultivate marijuana, because many appeared to be operating in violation of regulations.

Hunter said many of the problems were related to modifications made in the buildings that house the businesses without approvals from the city as well as past-due debts to the city.

"Everyone is in a little bit of a different place" with licensing, Hunter said. "Some folks didn't complete (the process) after site plan review. Most of the issues have been with the buildings. You need to get right with the building code."

Four businesses are actively working with Flint building officials to gain their licenses, Hunter said.

"I think people have been used to the city not really doing enforcement," she said. "We reiterated a number of times, but I think people just thought they could operate with impunity." 

Police and building officials took a fresh look at dispensaries after adoption of a new marijuana ordinance in Flint in 2014, ending a three-year moratorium on the businesses.

Although eight dispensaries were grandfathered and continued to operate, the city required the businesses to come into compliance with the new regulations.

The new ordinance mandates that dispensaries be more than 1,000 feet from any church, park, school or other dispensary. It also sets aside only a few small sections of the city in which the businesses can operate.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/05/flint_marijuana_dispensaries_g.html

some cities and law enforcement in our state, in the name of our Act, ignore the sale of medical cannabis for profit, and to patients not connected to the caregiver seller through his registry. But when a caregiver does the exact same those same police will raid, rob, and maybe arrest them? Didn't we just hear of the M5 or some chit like that, at least those grow store cowboys were actually connected to the patients/caregivers they sold to?

And if a dispensary sells cannabis to a person, cannabis to be used for someone elses symptom relief, are they guilty of violations as caregivers are? this is surreal to me. I now understand what is going on here and there

We have the technology to record all transactions for tax. Even the dollar Store can do that

We are all in this together we need to pitching in as well

Foget the roads...it takes us out of focus

Them fknrepublicans denying any progress for this nation while this n in office is disgraceful at best

But a lot closer to treason

Potholes been around a long time

Keep your eye on the prize..........Decriminalize

Edited by beourbud

some cities and law enforcement in our state, in the name of our Act, ignore the sale of medical cannabis for profit, and to patients not connected to the caregiver seller through his registry. But when a caregiver does the exact same those same police will raid, rob, and maybe arrest them? Didn't we just hear of the M5 or some chit like that, at least those grow store cowboys were actually connected to the patients/caregivers they sold to?

And if a dispensary sells cannabis to a person, cannabis to be used for someone elses symptom relief, are they guilty of violations as caregivers are? this is surreal to me. I now understand what is going on here and there

I agree what is the difference when someone sells cannabis on craigslist to a card holder or a place like this that does the same thing 

That is what someone said to me a few weeks ago when they where in Court for selling on craigslist and it got me thinking there is no difference ?

Umm, some of the dispensaries are caregiver collectives and I haven't seen any farmers mkt's go down.  It's selective enforcement and depends on where you are located.  It doesn't matter if your a caregiver or dispense, both have been privy to no knock raids, entrapment etc..  We're all getting the bunny muffin end of the stick unless your in the right place, or that's how it seems to me.  I don't know of any caregivers going down in Flint, but I'm also not connected to the right place to know.

• 2 weeks later...