Dinafem Deep Cheese Auto Sux

caveat emptor pic.

I'm so sorry to hear of these auto failures. In 2009 there were a lot less  of them offered, but I bought all of them(40 different?).  I concluded the only "auto's" worthwhile were made by the Joint Doctor.

Pollen chucking is abound in the industry. Auto's are kind of a little joke I think, breeders are compelled to offer a few but most are just not worth the time to stabilize for commercial distribution. I find the high cbd's in them interesting, and more pleasant feeling/tasting than a harlequin or cannatonic. This may be the fault of higher or lower cbd's not sure, don't care really. I don't use auto's much except to clone experimentally. I'm able to keep cuttings of auto's in suspended animation for years in a test tube now and it's fun momma!

The Santa Marta varieties, even the "mix pack" from the doc are a blast, producing very potent, mellow tasting plants that don't disappoint the auto grower. I had some yield as little as an ounce and as much as 2+ from his mix pack. Most finished within 100 days from seed. I saw no difference between 24 hours of light and 12 hours, after the half way point. I finish my autos in the flower room , really just for logistics, space saving. I grew them out(over and over) searching for my best rep to culture for storage, play times.   This info is outdated of course, with so many auto offerings these days,  But........ "can't beat a classic"

good luck

If these are the same plants you planted dec 22 and went outdoor on may 1

The spring sun and long hours is forcing your plant to veg.

I posted this as well in your " How much Sunshine is enough". Thread

you can try to fool mother nature but she always wins in the end. Always

yeah but autos are supposed to flower on their own time after some weeks EVEN in 24hr light.

i think 40-60 days or something.

either these auto seeds pic has are too hybridized or other things are affecting the plant flowering such as barometric pressure, temperature (darn cold snaps), rain, wind etc

Doesn't matter, Try it with anything next year it will do the same.

we were " suppose to " be welcomed as liberators in Iraq .

" suppose to" ain't good enough.!

Thinking some folk been stuck in there closet for to long.

Sun....Get Some

pic...you up for a Vernon's?

Edited by beourbud

" I'm able to keep cuttings of auto's in suspended animation for years in a test tube now and it's fun momma!"

gm, does this work for a cutting from any mj? Had a great gsc clone a while back that I wasn't able to keep going. Would you be willing to share how you do it? TIA.

" I'm able to keep cuttings of auto's in suspended animation for years in a test tube now and it's fun momma!"

gm, does this work for a cutting from any mj? Had a great gsc clone a while back that I wasn't able to keep going. Would you be willing to share how you do it? TIA.

Yes, any mj, any plant.

Basic instructions would be to first master sterile technique. http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/45819-tissue-cultured-marijuana-you-bet/page-1If the sample, tools, agar, basal salts, vessel and stopper need to be pre sterilized, prepared in a sterile area, and stored in a clean place, with a bit of light, cfl/led is fine.

After that the easy way to begin would be an off the shelf tissue culture kit, and a pre mixed carrot culture basal salt/hormone substrate. This isn't perfect, but will get the clone in storage. Unfortunately this mix will initiate a division of cells and the stem will begin to form callus material, growing larger each week. This cutting will be counted as a plant most likely, as root formation is likely.

There is no "mix" on the market for cannabis cultures. Experimenting and understanding the different hormones, feeding, sugar amounts, etc necessary to bring a cannabis culture to fruition took me a lifetime to discover. But other vegetable mixes are readily available and recommended to begin with.

the good side to the callus material forming on your stored clone will be its usefulness to you. This material will be undifferentiated dna, with all of the necessary genetic info to simply snip an explant from the material and culture s normal, causing no damage to the original clonal store.

Edited by grassmatch

Solid breeders dont waste their time with autos

prejudice without facts = foolishness.  no doubt a summary of your dissertation, doctor?

in which high times article (month/year/pages) did growers establish that with certain strains the regular is out-yielded by the auto?  quick now doctor, since you know everything, name 1 of those 3 strains and the breeders of those autos who out-yielded regulars and gave superior smoke?

check pm

"For autoflowering strains, the breed- ers of Dinafem prefer originals such as the Joint Doctor’s Lowryder 2 and Diesel Ryder. They make their selections of breeding material from large populations, planting three per pot (more than 650 for each seedling), then culling those down first to 150 and then to just the few strongest ones with the sought-after desirable traits. Autoflowering is a recessive trait, so it won’t be present in the first cross at all.

Here, Dinafem’s head breeder explains the process of crossing and selection involved in creating a stable autoflower- ing seed stock:

Example, Haze Auto x White Widow (regular) is an f0 x f0 (regular) resulting in an f1 generation of seeds that isn’t autoflowering. In the f2 generation, only 20 to 30% of the offspring will be autoflowering. With proper breeding practices, the f3 will be at about 60% auto and the f4 should be almost all that way. Then the f4 chosen champions must be feminized and backcrossed. It’s a pains- taking process, but only in this way can the quality of the final product be maintained.

Cannabis Ruderalis

In addition to the well-known strain types Cannabis sativa and Cannabis indica, there is also Cannabis ruderalis, a lesser-known species found in Russia and other parts of Eastern Europe. These low-THC strains are acclimated to harsh conditions and managed to develop, over time, the ability to begin their flowering cycle even under almost 24 hours of full sun per day. It’s believed these ruderalis plants are the result of domestic hemp crops that scattered their seeds in the wild and spread throughout the tundra.

Early experiments with breeding ruderalis resulted n less potent pot, but now, using sounder techniques and stronger parent stock, their THC levels have been enhanced, as have the all-essential flavors and aromas. This new generation of autoflowering seed stock has been a godsend to growers in northern latitudes and high altitudes, as well as a boon to lazy growers without much time or inclination to tend to their crops.

Ruderalis genes also provide the genetic benefit of greater resistance to pests and molds. Anyone who has fought through a spider mite infestation or an outbreak of powdery mildew can understand the significance and economic interest in these “watered-down” beans. Some are willing to sacrifice potency for guaranteed larger yields, while others simply don’t want to suffer through another disappointing year outdoors.

The effect of autoflowerings is more mellow, sedative and appropiate for relaxation, because they have a higher CBD and lower THC level than normal strains. Therefore, the autos are very well suited for consumers with very low tolerance levels, for people who are going to use the medicine for the first time or your grandma because she’s scared of cannabis -- and this one is going to make her feel mellow, but not superhigh -- and are good for conditions related to the nervous system, like seizures."

http://www.hightimes.com/read/autoflowering-seeds-basque-country

High Times huh? Lol

I'm sticking with centuries of real life experience.

High time just lookin to make a buck off fools.

Always surprised how so many fall for it.

autos are IMO a waste of time and money. Ymmv , but probably won't!

Edited by beourbud

HT only featured the article, written by Dinafem. The article likely appear in many cannabis culture publications.  don't throw the baby out with the bath water maybe?
HT has explained in past articles the importance of autoflowering hemp varieties since he beginning of time. These are the mainstay of fiber fields grown for a millennium. They are far from a waste of time for those who grow them. The alchemists who first thought to experiment with this specific hybridization for the obvious advantages
are hero's to many people around the globe. Don't discount their value just yet, even if you don't see the wisdom. Pic got a bad seed maybe, or an injured diseased finish, who knows? I've seen stellar strains fail just the same for no obvious reason. I've also seen forums bashing different popular strains, from their own experience, yet I found a few to be keepers.

"oh man, Cheesedog sucks! it was spindly and stretched and the buds were loose with no effects" (alrighty then, I believe you!???wtf)

"trust those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it"

Edited by grassmatch

Solid breeders dont waste their time with autos

Anything growing from seed will reflect varied genes. You OG might be have wide leaves and taste like lemon, mine from the same seed pack might have thin leaves and taste like apples.

I would guess you would get some odd combinations if you bred from an auto. Some indica, some sativa and some ditch weed ruderalis. Might be an interesting experiment.