Harvesting Early

blackhorse

Got a few plants that I need to harvest two weeks before maturity.

Will I lose a lot of potency?

Is it even worth the bother to harvest?

My thought is to harvest, cure just like normally at 8 weeks.

Plants must be gone from property.

Yes, I know the buds are not getting to fully fill out.

Any suggestions?

We have an inspection of home coming up, can't get into details.

Plants are inside and will be going into out building tomorrow. Thought of moving into shed and finish, but wife is nervous about that.

Outside grow is closed down before starting, had nice plants ready.

Most likely everything shut down all summer. Bummer!

depends. what strains? what is your normal flowering time? Time flowering is just an indicator to start watching out for signs of finish. Take a look at your trichomes. are they all cloudy? I want them! maybe you and yours prefer a more couchy effect? you might miss some without any amber trich for instance? cut a sample, dry it for a week, try it, you'll be one week closer anyways. lol!!

good luck, hope its fine, I think it will be

Normal flowering time is 8 weeks for us. 6 weeks will be max for these plants.

No time to cut and dry a sample.

Started these in flower at 3 weeks veg for an experiment, had light too high and they grew tall. Learn as I go!

Harvesting soon and hope for the best. As long as it is smoke able we can live with the low yield. Hate throwing away 11 weeks of tlc.

Plants are inside and will be going into out building tomorrow. Thought of moving into shed and finish, but wife is nervous about that.

yup get it gone, make sure the smell is gone also!  You should be ok, I have picked a lil early if you can hang dry them some where like a rental storage unit, them trics will turn while drying!

Peace

yup get it gone, make sure the smell is gone also!  You should be ok, I have picked a lil early if you can hang dry them some where like a rental storage unit, them trics will turn while drying!

Peace

Plan is to hang dry for three days, then into jars. Use charcoal filter so smell should be ok.

Wasn't sure if I was wasting time by harvesting at 6 weeks.

Thanks for all the comments.

Plan is to hang dry for three days, then into jars. Use charcoal filter so smell should be ok.

Wasn't sure if I was wasting time by harvesting at 6 weeks.

Thanks for all the comments.

Make sure you check the jars daily and burp them, at three days drying you'll still have a lot of moisture which can cause bud rot,So keep an eye on the jars you'll be alright

proper dry time is 1week - 2 weeks hanging.

3 days sounds really not good for hang time.

if you only have 3 days you might want to try a dehydrator

or do a dehumidifyier running 24/7 with fan? in a warm dry place like an attic ?

or even sunbake it?

harvesting early is better than not harvesting at all. you may find that it has a different cannibinoid profile, more cbc or something.

depends, you will have a higher than fully grown amount of thc, so more psychedelic mind frame, but cbd is gonna be lower.. riper more cbd.. greener is more thc.. jmho.. at six weeks you shouldn't be too disapointed.. if you gotta you gotta.. just go with the flow..  

I recently read an article that said CBD is pretty much stable throughout the cycle.  They had mentioned that you may not have to grow much past veg to be able to extract a good percent of CBD.  Don't remember where I saw the article though.

Found another article that says the same.

2.) Harvest At the Right Time (plays a factor for THC and CBN)

While you cannot control CBD levels with harvest methods, you can influence the the amount of THC and CBN in your buds by choosing the right time to harvest your plant.

CBD levels seem to remain relatively stable for most of the harvesting period.

Pick the right time to harvest by watching: 

• Pistils ("white hairs" that grow from new buds)

• Trichomes (crystals or resin glands, the glittery stuff on your marijuana buds)

Watch Pistils

This is the simplest harvest method. Watch the pistils/hairs growing on the buds and harvest based on how many have darkened and curled in.

• For a speedier high, harvest when about 40% of white hairs have darkened and curled in

• For highest THC levels and buds that make you soar, wait until buds have fattened and 50-70% of the white hairs have darkened and curled in.

• For higher CBN levels, which cause more of a relaxing effect, wait until new white hairs stop growing, and 80-90% of the hairs have darkened and there are few white hairs. 

Watch Trichomes

For the marijuana scientist, watching the trichomes gives you a bit more insight into what's going on with your plant's cannabinoinds.

From: http://www.growweedeasy.com/thc-cbd-cbn-when-to-harvest-marijuana#cbd

I would play it safe. Just cut them down early. The yield will not be as big, but still worth smoking or using. Of course they will not be as good as full term, but better than nothing or having to purchase.

weight concern greater than potency concern??

or you think chance of potency loss is small, but chance of diminished yield is high?

I'll take 2 ounces of top shelf over 10 ounces of anything less...... :hair:

I would also choose a small amount of top shelf over quantity. That is only in regards to my buds. If I had to go purchase the top shelf, then I guess I wouldn't.

Maybe the OP has another option.

Maybe keep one plant ditched, then after the inspection finish out that plant, if it is safe. Then you will get your top shelf and some lower grade.

I agree with Kingdiamond, the early harvested buds seem to be more of a daytime smoke.

I am growing a Sensi Star right now (first time) that is 6 weeks into flower. 90% of the trichomes are cloudy and I wouldn't hesitate to harvest her now, but I am going to hold out till she hits the 8 week point because she appears to be kicking in to serious flowering. Some strains pack on most of their flower weight during the last 2 weeks (like Bob says) and I believe that this plant may be one of them.

Check your trichomes and proceed accordingly.

depends, you will have a higher than fully grown amount of thc, so more psychedelic mind frame, but cbd is gonna be lower.. riper more cbd.. greener is more thc.. jmho.. at six weeks you shouldn't be too disapointed.. if you gotta you gotta.. just go with the flow..  

I've had various strains at 6 weeks test higher thc than at 60 days.  biggest drawback is a green taste and a dark strain on lips after smoking early cuts cause no chance to flush.

Edited by pic book