Caregiver And Guns

Haz-Matt

Hello,

I've been trying to find out if I can legally own a firearm and be a caregiver.I've only been able to find laws on concealed carry and patients. I'm at a fork in the road , I'm a cg for two family members who really need medical MJ and ive recently bought a house in the country and have a job that requires me to leave the state a few days a month. I want to know my family could defend themselves if someone were to break in ( not worried about rippers only four people know about my SMALL garden), and I also enjoy providing free meds to family members who genuinely need them.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

My conclusion is yes, but that it could be contested by officers and prosecutors at their discretion.

In MI you can purchase a long rifle (shotgun) w/o having to go to the police dept for permission, to the state for licensing, or to an ffl store to purchase. Generally speaking, long rifles are easier to argue that they aren't owned w the intent to commit a crime, but a handgun could become a problem w regards to intent. Nothing in the mmj act says you can't... but if you fill out a fed app for a handgun, they ask if you use and/or are addicted to mj. Pretty sure the fed considers any mj use as a 'yes' to that question, and lying on the app is illegal yet saying yes will get denied.

I'd be more worried about your family being able to effectively use the weapon at a time of heightened stress and surprise. Guy kicks in the door... how long til your wife can wake up, realize what is going on, get to the gun, arm it, set herself, and hit the target on the first shot, prepped for additional shots. How about your kids, or anyone else at home? How much prep time until they feel comfortable around the gun, and proficient? Just to suggest buying the gun is less than half the battle.

Edited by Indigro

if you have a gun for protection make sure it is loaded, and if you bring your gun out make sure you are willing to kill some one and face any conseqences that come with it,

If I couldnt own a gun and grow I would not grow!

My gun rights mean more to me than my grow rights!

Peace

you may have a better chance of law enforcement breaking in as opposed to the other bad guys now. Your wife could be terminated if a cop sees her aiming a gun at him during a raid.  keep that in mind. If she reaches for a gun during a raid, and they discover your cannabis growing, you may be in trouble. keep your owned firearms separate from your grow room, don't buy any while you have a card, and make sure nobody has any kind of access to the grow area.  there are biometric gun locks/safes that can guarantee you have no access to the gun, as a grower for consideration.

My buddy applied for a permit and was denied while he had his card. When he questioned it, they gave him a number to call and the number belonged to the Dept. Of Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms. He doesn't have a criminal history and was still denied.

My buddy applied for a permit and was denied while he had his card. When he questioned it, they gave him a number to call and the number belonged to the Dept. Of Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms. He doesn't have a criminal history and was still denied.

Might be other issues ...not all are :dodgyrun:

If your buddy used cannabis, he either lied on the application, or he told the truth. Both clear reasons for denial.

My only concern is being legal , I can't/don't smoke anymore (stupid job) and I am way under my 24 plant count.

I'm not worried about my wife handling a pistol , she has grown up using fire arms.And she will be woke by our dog when anyone is close to our house. I guess rather than speculating I should ask a lawyer if a caregiver can have a pistol in a residence with a garden.

This is an interesting topic that has brought up valid points and I thank you for the comments.

My only concern is being legal , I can't/don't smoke anymore (stupid job) and I am way under my 24 plant count.

I'm not worried about my wife handling a pistol , she has grown up using fire arms.And she will be woke by our dog when anyone is close to our house. I guess rather than speculating I should ask a lawyer if a caregiver can have a pistol in a residence with a garden.

This is an interesting topic that has brought up valid points and I thank you for the comments.

If anyone knows of a state-legal medical marijuana patient who tried to buy a firearm but was prohibited because of their medical marijuana patient status, and is willing to talk to the media, please let me know ASAP. Someone prosecuted for the offense, or given an enhanced penalty, also would work.

a lawyer told me of the different degrees of possession. I would not want my wife holding the bag with a firearm, seemingly guarding the cannabis manufacturing/distribution process, when a cop pokes a few stems in the dirt and counts them as plants, or finds the key on her key ring magically,

or aiming a gun, in the dark, at a masked armed man climbing through the window hiding his badge. think real hard. but know that there is at least one poster here

who's gun and ammo and cannabis plants were returned after a raid. I suspect it cost him more than the value of the property to set the course.

Motion detection, dog, alarms, stink socks, more stink socks, common sense, tight lips, all go a long way to staying safe with a cannabis garden.

If you lie to buy a gun, you're in trouble when they find it. If you're not home its your wife in possession of the (open) garden and firearm, not you.

and by the way, who is "concealed carrying" in your scenario, and why? If you are pulled over with a firearm and cannabis, you'll go directly to jail I think.

please stay safe as you can, and try not to worry. If nobody knows, then nobody knows.

good luck, and know that many of us have worked through the same scenario.

but know that there is at least one poster here

who's gun and ammo and cannabis plants were returned after a raid.

i was at his Court day it was a happy day for him but will it happen again to someone else ? not in Oakland County i think

I was there for that too bob, i remember it well it was macomb county

When I was raided (pre MMMA) they took an unregistered hand gun but left my long guns.

They did lay them all out on the bed and took pictures but didn't take them.

It's up to the discretion of the prosecutor whether or not they charge you with anything.

a lawyer told me of the different degrees of possession. I would not want my wife holding the bag with a firearm, seemingly guarding the cannabis manufacturing/distribution process, when a cop pokes a few stems in the dirt and counts them as plants, or finds the key on her key ring magically,

or aiming a gun, in the dark, at a masked armed man climbing through the window hiding his badge. think real hard. but know that there is at least one poster here

who's gun and ammo and cannabis plants were returned after a raid. I suspect it cost him more than the value of the property to set the course.

Motion detection, dog, alarms, stink socks, more stink socks, common sense, tight lips, all go a long way to staying safe with a cannabis garden.

If you lie to buy a gun, you're in trouble when they find it. If you're not home its your wife in possession of the (open) garden and firearm, not you.

and by the way, who is "concealed carrying" in your scenario, and why? If you are pulled over with a firearm and cannabis, you'll go directly to jail I think.

please stay safe as you can, and try not to worry. If nobody knows, then nobody knows.

good luck, and know that many of us have worked through the same scenario.

Hey Grass

No one will be concealing the firearm , I should have made that clear. My intentions are to have the pistol locked in a nightstand . The garden is locked securley and no one will ever be in possession of flowers and pistol at the same time.

There was a home invasion a county over and it really got me thinking about my family while I'm out of town.

It's good to hear about the member who had his firearms returned though.

You have Constitutional Rights to own a fire arm. Don't listen to the bunny muffin. Your Wife has every right to defend herself. I am a legal patient, i own fire arms, spilled blood for the country. I pity the fool who trys and take mine away. Antis put that in your pipe and smoke it....

Hey Grass

No one will be concealing the firearm , I should have made that clear. My intentions are to have the pistol locked in a nightstand . The garden is locked securley and no one will ever be in possession of flowers and pistol at the same time.

There was a home invasion a county over and it really got me thinking about my family while I'm out of town.

It's good to hear about the member who had his firearms returned though.

considering its only the forum and family that know of your intentions, I'd say you are safe.

might consider having wife purchase gun and register it in here name anyways.

(Your post was very clear, I misread concerning concealed carry, sorry)

although you may have a constitutional right to own firearms, federal law says you cannot buy one while using marijuana or any other illegal drugs. You will lose rights if you lie on a federal form, to circumvent a firearm purchase while manufacturing cannabis perhaps? your rights can be reduced to three meals daily, an exercise yard too. There is much to consider when making a choice like this, I respect the op for the enquiry . Its a great subject that has not been put to rest yet.

A gun close enough and ready to defend is likely to be misunderstood during a raid on a marijuana grower. I think that is a fair assumption. add reaching for, brandishing o the masked man and rights will not be in question. is someone ready to die so they can grow cannabis, while owning a firearm?

although you may have a constitutional right to own firearms, federal law says you cannot buy one while using marijuana or any other illegal drugs. You will lose rights if you lie on a federal form, to circumvent a firearm purchase while manufacturing cannabis perhaps? your rights can be reduced to three meals daily, an exercise yard too. There is much to consider when making a choice like this, I respect the op for the enquiry . Its a great subject that has not been put to rest yet.

A gun close enough and ready to defend is likely to be misunderstood during a raid on a marijuana grower. I think that is a fair assumption. add reaching for, brandishing o the masked man and rights will not be in question. is someone ready to die so they can grow cannabis, while owning a firearm?

This has already been put before the powers that be. Marijuana is legal for a patient in Michigan, there fore you are not under the influence of illegal drugs. Been there done that, have a CCW and have bought several firearms from dealers since i.ve been a patient. You can believe what you want, what i want is to be able to protect myself and my family and home. Just curious GM are you anti? 

Why would i worry about getting raided by LEO, if i am legal, and keep my mouth shut, stay in compliace. I want a firearm by my chair for the rippers or home invaders at my door, thats more likely the case, i said my piece on this, i don't believe in beating a dead horse. Live and let Live i say. just don't step on my toes. 

GM btw the way, ya i would die defending my home and family. Even from corrupt Cops, gheez this is getting deep. i will defend my rights as well, i have a right to smoke weed legal in MI, and i have a right to own firearms. there now isn't that simple. I just want my rights as written. Now leave me alone, i prefer to be alone.   

GM btw the way, ya i would die defending my home and family. Even from corrupt Cops, gheez this is getting deep. i will defend my rights as well, i have a right to smoke weed legal in MI, and i have a right to own firearms. there now isn't that simple. I just want my rights as written. Now leave me alone, i prefer to be alone.   I need to smoke a doobie, after this. I can hear the gunfire already

People have guns these days. It is an issue. Nobody is going to give up firearms they possessed before the Act. Police give them back routinely.

sure do!

but, let the forum know the possibilities of a positive outcome when the raid discovers you standing there by your armchair with a firearm when they enter, seeing as the bulk of the issue at hand is in fact "innocent compliant registrants being raided".

Will you let us know the amount of cases that involved getting a gun back after the police discovered you holding them at bay with said gun during a raid, compared to a pistol in the closet inside of its original purchase container?