Need Caregiver Advice For My 83 Year Old Father Indian River.

Greg Rx

Father-

83yo stroke victim

zero experience with cannabis

registration in the mail

qualifying condition - chronic back pain

other issues - sleep, pain, depression, restless leg

Lives in Indian River

Me

pharmacist who CANNOT be on any list do to my controlled substance licence

Live 4 hours away

Looking for a high (1:1) CBD strain and eventually an oil or butter.

If I was going to be his caregiver, I would start with 2 plants of Cannatonic.

Also note that the original plan was to purchase from a dispensary but between making the doctor's appointment and the actual appointment, all dispensaries for 100 miles were raided. Not that I found any who seemed to have the CBD strains we were looking for. Also know I, never give product availability information, on the phone.

Between the legal issues and safety concerns, enthusiasm is waning.

Looking for advise as much as for product. Caregivers REALLY need to be able to purchase from caregivers.

Father-

83yo stroke victim

zero experience with cannabis

registration in the mail

qualifying condition - chronic back pain

other issues - sleep, pain, depression, restless leg

Lives in Indian River

Me

pharmacist who CANNOT be on any list do to my controlled substance licence

Live 4 hours away

Looking for a high (1:1) CBD strain and eventually an oil or butter.

If I was going to be his caregiver, I would start with 2 plants of Cannatonic.

Also note that the original plan was to purchase from a dispensary but between making the doctor's appointment and the actual appointment, all dispensaries for 100 miles were raided. Not that I found any who seemed to have the CBD strains we were looking for. Also know I, never give product availability information, on the phone.

Between the legal issues and safety concerns, enthusiasm is waning.

Looking for advise as much as for product. Caregivers REALLY need to be able to purchase from caregivers.

"Caregivers REALLY need to be able to purchase from caregivers"

I agree with this.  And it's a danged shame that the MMMA Act doesn't extend protections for such activity...but if you find a CG willing to help, then good on ya.  and good on the CG.

For a newbie patient, I'd lean towards recommending an edible product.  I have a great recipe for fruit/nut bars with some cannabis mixed in.  I'm not a big fan of brownies or cookies because we CGs shouldn't be pushing edibles made with a lot of sugar and fats.  The product should be a healthy one.  But a fruit/nut bar is healthy snack, and the added cannabis just makes it better.

I've made batches of said products that include about a gram of cannabis per 2" by 2" portion of the fruit/nut bar.  So in an 8" by 8" baking pan of the fruit/nut bar, there is about a half-ounce of cannabis.  And the taste is actually pretty good.  The recommended starting dose would be 1/4 of the 2-inch square....so 64 doses out of an 8" by 8" pan of fruit/nut bars.  I've had patients who consumed these products and slept-well for a night and experienced great pain relief.  I can PM you the recipe if you're interested.

The primary thing to be concerned about is that, with edibles, many folks tend to not wait the needed hour or two for the effects to materialize, then they eat more, and maybe smoke a little, and then end up discombobulated for about 36 hours because they over-did it.