Local Man A Leader In Marijuana Legalization Campaign

GAYLORD — An initiative calling for the legalization of recreational marijuana use in Michigan kicked off in Lansing Thursday with a Gaylord representative helping to start the campaign.

Among the representatives of the Comprehensive Cannabis Law Reform Initiative Committee, the organization overseeing the MI Legalize campaign, present at the kickoff event was Chad Morrow, employee at Gaylord Provisions, a medical marijuana dispensary at 115 S. Wisconsin Ave.

Morrow is the Otsego County chairman for the MI Legalize campaign, and Thursday he joined county leaders, caregivers and patients from around the state at the state Capitol steps.

After having the petition language approved by the state, the petitioning effort is well underway.

Since he collected the petitions Thursday, Morrow said he has gathered more than 100 signatures in a few days’ time.

“I put information on Facebook and now I have to turn my phone off when I’m working,” he said. “The amount of support has been amazing.”

According to the initiative, found at www.milegalize.com, it calls for the legalization and regulation of marijuana in several areas, including cultivation, production, sale, distribution and possession.

The proposed legislation — “Michigan Marihuana Legalization, Regulation and Economic Stimulus Act” — includes use being legal for adults 21-years-old and up and minors with a doctor’s recommendation. Legislation for this initiative also includes the legalization of hemp — a tall-growing plant in the cannabis family, containing little to no THC.

As per the legislation, all recreational marijuana would be tested for pesticides, mildew, mold and other hazards. All marijuana products would also be clearly labeled and packaged in child-proof containers to prevent accidental consumption by children or others.

The legislation states if it were to go into law, applications for commercial growers licenses could cost up to $5,000, while annual renewal fees could be charged for up to $500.

Recreational marijuana would receive a 10 percent tax, with 40 percent of the revenues collected from the taxes going to the Michigan Department of Transportation, 40 percent going to the Department of Education and 20 percent going to the local municipality that collects taxes from the establishment.

Furthermore, the legislation states localities may choose to adopt their own rules and regu

grassmatch , its already planned for in the language:

(o) “Unreasonably impracticable” means

that the measures necessary to comply

with the regulations require such a high

risk or investment of money, time, or any

other resource or asset so as to discourage

a reasonably prudent business person from

engaging in the operation of a marihuana

establishment or hemp businesses.

seriously , are you going to read it one day or just keep aksing questions?

Thanks

It's not scary to me they will never catch me i am a Master Grower and grow cannabis for medical reasons with a Sec 4 carded and always under plant and weight counts locked up per the MMMA Act Law one of 2008

Their i said it i just don't think they are arresting two many sick people any more  mostly it's the caregivers getting hammered in the Courts  and Judges and prosecutor our fighting to keep there Jobs 

localities do not need to know you grow cannabis and the most anyone could get is some kind of fine if caught 

The way i see it is the Courts have the MMMA on the ropes with the posted note case if they win that case which could go on for another 5 years if they where to win it could let them start

arresting caregiver and any one else that lives in the home the ones that have the Max counts like 72 plant they are the ones that would be mostly out of compliance i would think

That has been the way Leo has been mostly when they raid someone and see how many plants are their they know it's not for personal use but if the case does go on for 5 years maybe cannabis will be Free by then but remember it take both sides to make cannabis legal Leo and the Courts

A patient/caregiver with five registered patients growing 72 plants is in 100% compliance with the law.

why would anyone believe otherwise?

Sure i agree  to that number of plants but it's more to the Law today then it was back in 2008 plant count is only the beginning of being 100% compliance 

Thanks for the post 

P.S does anyone know  when the High Court will give there ruling on the two cases in front of them ?

unless he cant prove a bona fied relationship.

or;

if he possessed illegal rocket launchers, kidnapped illegal aliens for trimming work too right? :lolu: We could list all of the ways to be non compliant, but this post mentioned  legal plant counts being suspect of non compliancy,  specifically addressed by me.

?bob implied that caregivers growing for five patients within the law are "Max counts like 72 plant they are the ones that would be mostly out of compliance" with no mention of rocket launchers, or even bonafide relationships, or any of  the many other ways to be non compliant.

I think he meant that cops would go further in an investigation because they think 72 is too many.  They would automatically think you are supplying outside your 5 patients.  At least that's how I read it.  Let's face it, some cops don't really think ANY caregiver is compliant.

Most cops don't follow marijuana laws/rules and expect we are like them .....

Overheard State cops on cell phone wanting to trade some confiscated marijuana for confiscated walleye their DNR buddies had. Whether they were kidding or not I don't know. But they did say it on the phone. 

Edited by Restorium2

I think he meant that cops would go further in an investigation because they think 72 is too many.  They would automatically think you are supplying outside your 5 patients.  At least that's how I read it.  Let's face it, some cops don't really think ANY caregiver is compliant.

that's sensible. 

maybe that notion is bourne in patients/growers belittling the legal amounts, suggesting lower plant counts would suffice?

Edited by grassmatch

Most cops don't follow marijuana laws/rules and expect we are like them .....

Overheard State cops on cell phone wanting to trade some confiscated marijuana for confiscated walleye their DNR buddies had. Whether they were kidding or not I don't know. But they did say it on the phone. 

I'd trade cannabis for walleye all day !  :bbq:  :P  

Thanks

that is what i meant to say  and you said it better

Thanks

Is there a time limit like 90 days ?

Maybe a split decision? i don't think so imho they are talking to the Law makers in Lansing wondering when changes are coming before they hand down a ruiling the Judges don't want to look like fools 

The MSC could care less what the legislature thinks.  They are ruling on the law at the time of the infraction.

I agree but it's only people like you that are doing all the work and it's not fair if everyone would  just do a little bit it wouldn't be as the Law is today i still believe if we would have had the

Court room filled each time we had a court date we wouldn't have been in Court for 5 years

Thats all

Thanks for all you do sometime i do wish i could do more

I used to think filing the court room helps a defendant too, until I saw a judge addressing not only the defendant but her supporters too, while he was spelling out her sentence. As if "let that be a lesson to you and yours".  Not so sure anymore that a prosecutor or a judge gives two chits who else is in his court room, like a lighter sentence, less evidence allowed, I just don't see it.

It is however awesome to show support to a  defendant and victims(hardly victims in a mj case, except the defendant of course) in court, and adds a sense of calm to that side.

I agree but it's only people like you that are doing all the work and it's not fair if everyone would  just do a little bit it wouldn't be as the Law is today i still believe if we would have had the

Court room filled each time we had a court date we wouldn't have been in Court for 5 years

Thats all

Thanks for all you do sometime i do wish i could do more

What i would say is I am nothing special. I am just some guy.  Just some random guy who wants to look out for the little guy and do what is right for the most people possible; sometimes even if thy do not realize it.

I have experience, knowledge and an unfortunate view of the realities at hand.

Anyone can do it.  Just speak from the heart with an altruistic message and people will listen.

The only place I shift from altruism is when it comes to home growing.  I am very very selfish on that topic, as I feel others should be.  It is rather key to the future of freedom and marijuana.