Legalized Marijuana In Washington, Statistics Update

t-pain

In 2011, there were 6,879 low-level

marijuana court filings as compared to only 120 in

2013, the first full year after passage of I-502.

According to the Crime

in Washington report, compiled by the Washington

Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs, marijuana

law violations decreased by 63% from 2012 (6,196) to

2014 (2,316). v In addition, data from the Washington

State Caseload Forecast Council demonstrate that the

number of marijuana-related convictions in the state

decreased by 81% between 2011 (575) and 2014

(111). vi Many of Washington’s marijuana arrests and

convictions since possession became legal on

December 6, 2012 were for possessing more than the

1-ounce limit.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/resource/marijuana-legalization-washington-after-1-year-retail-sales-and-25-years-legal-possession

http://www.theweedblog.com/marijuana-legalization-in-washington-state-a-one-year-status-report/

Fix this: Sharing marijuana with your sweetheart is felony distribution

Say you’re having a real nice night with your sweetheart and decide to delve into a little bit of legal weed. You and your pal are in bed and you light up (joint or bowl or vape or maybe a nibble of an edible) … well, you better not pass your stuff to her/him cuz in Washington state that’s felony distribution.

Possession with the intent to pass the joint/bong/edible to even your legally married significant other is 5 years in jail and $10,000, on top of lawyer fees and disqualification from pretty much all federal programs as well as good luck getting a job.

Well, you say, no one would bust into my bedroom and arrest me!

Yeah (or at least “probably”), and that’s the point.

Having that law on the books in Washington is insulting and worse than nonsense. It’s the kind of law we scoff at and that undermines our respect for the law and police. As lawyers say: It’s not a good thing in theory to have felony laws if you intend for the transgression to happen. You want to legalize the things you want to be legal and not rely non-enforcement of laws in the long term

http://blog.seattlepi.com/marijuana/2015/01/19/fix-this-sharing-marijuana-with-your-sweetheart-is-felony-distribution/#13130101=0&28887103=0

Fix this: Sharing marijuana with your sweetheart is felony distribution

Say you’re having a real nice night with your sweetheart and decide to delve into a little bit of legal weed. You and your pal are in bed and you light up (joint or bowl or vape or maybe a nibble of an edible) … well, you better not pass your stuff to her/him cuz in Washington state that’s felony distribution.

Possession with the intent to pass the joint/bong/edible to even your legally married significant other is 5 years in jail and $10,000, on top of lawyer fees and disqualification from pretty much all federal programs as well as good luck getting a job.

Well, you say, no one would bust into my bedroom and arrest me!

Yeah (or at least “probably”), and that’s the point.

Having that law on the books in Washington is insulting and worse than nonsense. It’s the kind of law we scoff at and that undermines our respect for the law and police. As lawyers say: It’s not a good thing in theory to have felony laws if you intend for the transgression to happen. You want to legalize the things you want to be legal and not rely non-enforcement of laws in the long term

http://blog.seattlepi.com/marijuana/2015/01/19/fix-this-sharing-marijuana-with-your-sweetheart-is-felony-distribution/#13130101=0&28887103=0

That is what I tell people regularly, and what has bothered me about almost all legalization bills/initiatives.

That is what I tell people regularly, and what has bothered me about almost all legalization bills/initiatives.

Thanks

Because of the words  in any legalization bills/initiatives. that will get twisted by the Court ? or they just  may open a can of worms against cannabis growers and users ?